evolving from casual

sadpanda3

So I've been seeing this guy on and off for several months. We started off as friends, and since I wasn't yet over my last break up kept things casual for a while.

After a big fight I broke things off, but got back together about a month ago and things have been going better than ever.... but I am not sure yet if I want to take things any further or even if I should break off things completely.

While he's being very sweet and caring right now, I still resent him for how he treated me a few months back. I know at the time we were casual and I basically have no right to complain, but I am not convinced I want to be in a relationship with someone who treated me like that. Though at the same time it would be frustrating to break things off right now, when it's going so well.

The two things I resent him most for are telling me all the details about the other women he was seeing (I was seeing other people too, but I felt sick every time he felt the need to mention it....and now I feel kind of insecure about it)

The other thing is he really made me feel like he doesn't give a **** about my well-beeing. He'd ignore me when I'd cry or throw up in front of him (because of stress at work). When I asked him about it he told me he thought I was just being "an average woman" so he didn't feel the need to help me or comfort me.

He's in no way like this any more, but I don't trust him to stay like this. Also, I'd kinda like to meet someone who treats me well from the beginning, not just after several months. At the same time things are going great right now...

InvisiBlonde
he really made me feel like he doesn't give a **** about my well-beeing. He'd ignore me when I'd cry or throw up in front of him (because of stress at work). When I asked him about it he told me he thought I was just being "an average woman" so he didn't feel the need to help me or comfort me.

He's in no way like this any more, but I don't trust him to stay like this. Also, I'd kinda like to meet someone who treats me well from the beginning, not just after several months. At the same time things are going great right now...

And you know this as fact based on what evidence, again?

I'm betting things are going great right now because you broke up with him.

My immediate reaction to the "average woman" comment was "HOW old is this guy?" I mean, everything is wrong with that! Do you wanna be with someone who consideres you "an average woman"?

Even if you didn't care about that, the average person of any gender generally wants comforting when distressed, so what's his point anyway?

If you think it hurts when he ignores your obvious distress over work-related issues, just wait until you're in a puking, sobbing heap on the floor because of something he said or did to you, and his response is to smirk, snort, shake his head, and say,

"Here we go again: It's SHOWtime, folks!"

"Look at you; your eyes are buggin' out of your head!"

"This is why 'everybody' stays away; 'they' all know how you are."

And, finally, remember: Always start as you mean to continue. If he is treating you like s*** before he gets laid / knows he has you, why would he do better later on?

A site that helped me tremendously is BaggageReclaim.

• Like 1