Love hit me like a freight train, and it scares the hell out of me!

KiwiGuy

I have been single for a number of years, by choice, and truly enjoyed being independent and have the freedom to come and go as I please. So after starting at a new company this year, I locked eyes with a girl sitting at the opposite end of the office, and it was love at first sight.

I am not keen on dating a coworker, so decided to suppress my feelings and ignore her whenever she walks by. However I started to notice, and also being informed by team members, that she stares often at my direction and she purposely walk past our desks whenever she goes to the toilet.

Long story short, we started talking and last night we decided to go out as a group to a dinner in the dark experience. The evening went well and we had a pretty decent conversation as we were trying to guess what meals we were having.

All sounds good and dandy, right? That was until I got home and couldn't sleep, my mind was all over the place and my heart felt like it was about to go into a cardiac arrest!

Why am I feeling so vulnerable and scared? Is it normal? or might it be due to a bad breakup I had a couple of years ago?

It's not love, its lust. You know nothing about her.

But, sometimes the way a woman looks (not even that she's hot) can throw you for a loop.

I'm all for dipping your pen in the company ink but if it doesn't work out imagine how you'll feel then?

• Like 1

SevenCity says lust. I say infatuation. Could be either or both. And yes, both of these feelings will leave you sleepless, and with your mind and heart rate racing.

Love is a calmer, more gentle feeling. It's what you feel when the above has abated and you realise that you care for them very deeply.

• Like 1

You have a crush. It's perfectly normal.

Office romances are not the best idea. We all know it. If things don't work out, you still have to associate with this person. You might think you can behave in a professional manner (will you?), but you have no idea if she will. It can be bad news all the way around. Proceed with caution.

I wouldn't call it love. I would call it infatuation.

• Author

I appreciate the feedback and advice - fortunately we do not work together as she is a product engineer and I am an ICT manager, we just so happen to sit in the same open office.

I guess its best to end things now and just move on.

Of course you don't have to stay in any romantic situation, but why break up if all is good?