Language and being taken the wrong way

Laowhy91

I speak Chinese Mandarin and I'm a white 25 yr old guy. I recently went on a date with a Chinese girl and I told her that I spoke it.. then I started to worry what she thought of that. There's so many guys out there with weird fetishes with asian women and I didn't want to be lumped in with them. Now I can't help but think that's the way she views me. I've even thought about taking it off my OKC profile because I don't want to be perceived the wrong way. I only know it because I was in an international high school, but people jump to conclusions of course, usually bad ones

Truth is, I don't have any racial preference, but people don't know that. Am I worrying way too much about this do you think?

You told her that you spoke Mandarin and then you start to worry what she thought about it. What reaction did she give to set you off worrying? Did she give you the side eye or something?

• Author

Yeah, I mean I guess I never really thought about it until after I said something to her. I never thought about how I would be perceived. She didn't eye me or anything though

My friends always joke with me about me knowing Mandarin for that reason. Maybe they just got in my head or something.. I don't know. I just wouldn't want her to think that