too much too soon? am I missing something?

confused_gf

confused_gf

Hi all,

This is kind of a cliche topic, but I'm bored and can't get this guy off my mind. So I would consider myself an attractive girl. I'm not ashamed to say I'm "experienced" and don't have a lot of hang ups around sex. Maybe I have daddy issues, maybe just had a lot of opportunities depending on who you ask. It's all probably true.

I'm curious on what the good members of this forum will feel about my recent hook up/attempt at romance. So I'm having mental health troubles this year. I was on an involuntary hold at a psych facility. I wasn't like suicidal or anything. But thats another story in itself. It's really like a hangout hotel for all different types of people, for all different types of troubles until you are free to go home. I was laying on my bed thinking that I do indeed have quite a few issues, need to get help, and that it would be nice to be in a genuinely emotionally supportive relationship for once. I thought "it would be nice to meet a guy here! he can probably relate to my woes and we can understand eachother" Just then I notice a cute boy walking the hallways. Long story short - I smiled at him in the lunch line and we start our little courtship. From the looks of things he fit the bill perfectly, well spoken, interesting, calm, polite, sweet. He said he likes films so I gave him my contact and told him to let me know if he wants to get together and watch a movie sometime. After that he slips me a note with his phone number and a "BTW - if your down, you know where my room is". Honestly, it sounded like an exciting proposition to me. Psych stays are pretty bland and boring. So I went to his room and we hooked up (not the full on thing, third base). After we were all kissing and giddy because we got away with it. I know, immature, but fun. Seemed like everything was chill and I made him happy, so I just went back to my room and slept. I thought it was cute cuz he was kind of buzzing around my room and wanted me to come out for smoke break even though I was sleeping.

The next morning he seems different - kind of distant and standoffish. In his defense, I was a little standoffish as well, even though I like him. I was trying to gage just how much I really liked him now that the sexual tension had dispersed, he was probably doing the same. His coldness was almost a little overkill, I was thinking..."is this some kinda game?" He seemed almost annoyed with me.

When the nurses called him to go home he left without even looking at me. My jaw was nearly on the floor. I just so happened to catch him before he left and I thought well...might as well...and offered him a hug goodbye. All of a sudden he starts in kissing me and telling me he'll get in contact "as soon as he can". I was thinking to myself...mmk he went from one extreme to the other and back again. I had to go back and tell him I lost his number, but could he message me? He says "Yeah yeah. I'll email you." As he's signing his discharge papers. No eye contact at all?! Didn't know what to make of that.

Now that I'm home, my gut it is telling me not to get my hopes up for him. I know I'm not supposed to be romancing in the psych ward, but I thought it was kind of cute and sexy in a quirky kind of way. Any thoughts? If he never contacts me, am I right to label him an imposter? Does it seem like we can proceed to something deeper from something like that or nah? Just some thoughts in my head I gotta get out. Guess, I really like him before he went all cold and weird. Maybe I'm dreaming... Thanks y'all.

Edited by confused_gf
ExpatInItaly

OP, forgive me if I sound insensitive - but did you honestly think you were going to find an ideal candidate for a relationship... in a psych ward?

You're looking for love in all the wrong places, as they say.

• Like 2
  • Author
confused_gf
OP, forgive me if I sound insensitive - but did you honestly think you were going to find an ideal candidate for a relationship... in a psych ward?

You're looking for love in all the wrong places, as they say.

expat, as far as you being insensitive, not at all...I'm just a romantic. I like the whole idea of finding love in a hopeless place and it seemed feasible there. I mean I was there involuntarily for an argument I got in that turned sour, but he was there voluntarily and seemed totally normal, coherent, and composed. :rolleyes: I know, I know...

• Author
confused_gf

I should also mention, psych ward carries some pretty heavy connotations. I promise we weren't all wearing hospital gowns and getting shock therapy or lobotimized lol. We were all just watching movies/news, chatting, smoking, and eating until release.

ExpatInItaly

Yes, I am aware of what a modern psych ward is, having had two dear friends committed a few times over the years.

But you're not grasping the bigger picture, which is that it's not an appropriate place to be looking for a boyfriend. Whether there voluntarily or not, it still indicates that someone is struggling with their mental health and may not be at all ready for a relationship.

Mental health aside for a moment, you know essentially nothing about this man. He might not even be single. I'm not sure how this seemed feasible - can you elaborate on this?

• Author
confused_gf

I was just hoping to find someone, romantically, who can empathize with my situation - having struggled and overcoming issues with mental health. Not necessarily someone who isn't sane. Obviously it would be better if I was approaching it after receiving the necessary treatment and having overcome said issues (both parties). I just thought it was a romantic idea is all, maybe overcoming them together? With mutual support?

Guess there are a lot of what ifs to the situation. If I actually do get to know more about this guy it would be interesting. I just really liked him is all, before we hooked up he was very sweet and endearing. It was refreshing for me.