The type of work he does may not be...legal?

Hopeful30

Hopeful30

Recently went on a date with a great guy, and he goes against the grain in a good way. Unique sense of style, unique world views. I very much enjoyed his company.

Eventually the conversation led to what we do for work, and I came under the suspicion that what he does may not entirely be legal. Without giving too much detail, it has to do with easily (and quickly) acquiring paperwork that is a long and difficult process. This paperwork helps with making certain things more 'valid' and profitable.

This type of work doesn't harm anyone. It's not like he sells defective cars or ineffective medicine. It's just a formality that can create a big difference in the market price of certain things. Again, maybe he has a knack, but I got the feeling something about this type of work might be fishy.

Would you be okay with that? I'm having trouble deciding. On the one hand, he is supporting himself and making the best of a very poor situation (poor in the literal and metaphorical sense), on the other hand, if things go wrong, I don't want to be in the middle of it and dating someone who could possibly face jail time.

What is happening to the world?!

Edited by Hopeful30
PegNosePete
This type of work doesn't harm anyone.

Really? There is no such thing as a victimless crime.

It's not like he sells defective cars or ineffective medicine. It's just a formality that can create a big difference in the market price of certain things.

Right, so the victims are those who pay the proper ethical market value, and those genuine vendors who are trying to sell it legally, and are being undercut, potentially being taken out of business and causing their entire workforce to be made redundant, by illegal competition.

if things go wrong, I don't want to be in the middle of it and dating someone who could possibly face jail time.

Indeed, and it could well be worse than that. If he is guilty of financial misconduct then you would be crazy to have any kind of joint finances. You think he's going to lie to the entire world except you...? His financial misconduct would surely extend to your family finances. Not only would you be with someone who is facing jail time, you would be homeless and possibly lose all of your own assets too.

As you say you're not sure whether it's illegal, personally I would find out more about his lifestyle, and if it is indeed below board, bail.

• Like 5
d0nnivain

I can't date criminals. I just can't.

The paperwork is not just paper work. It's about safety . . . making sure somebody has the minimum qualifications to do the job & has insurance in case something goes wrong.

• Like 2

My ex of a 5 years relationship decided to deal coke instead of working a union job....I dumped his ass immediately. But that's a long story lol.

• Like 1