Is he attracted to her?

If a guy talks to his supervisor at work a lot, and jokes "don't tell mom" about telling her something, does that mean he's not attracted to her? I have a crush on the guy and want to know if he likes his supervisor.

Personally if I had a crush on a guy, I would never joke like that because it would be very off-putting to think of him as "dad".

A few months ago, he made a joke about telling his parents she was his girlfriend, so I was worried.

If a guy <snip> jokes "don't tell mom" <snip> he made a joke about telling his parents

He's engaging in infantile/childish behaviour. Insofar as getting romantically involved with him, I'd want to stay as far away as possible.

The thing is that he seems to be doing it constantly - and for an adult to do that even once, unless it is with their actual siblings or step-siblings, it just points to their psychology still being in a child-parent frame of mind.

I'm a little confused with your post. We all want, and should have, good rapport with our supervisor. I can see one coworker saying to another coworker, when they were slightly naughty on work protocol, or had some discussion with a coworker that isn't necessarily work appropriate, saying "don't tell mom/dad." It's just a joke. It's pretty benign like joking about not behaving ourselves and not staying out late because it's a "school night," not that any of us are in school or have kids in school.

I'm wondering what is going on with this supervisor and subordinate. Is there obvious flirtation from both parties and favoritism? Are these two involved, romantically, and not behaving professionally?

Having good rapport with your supervisor is always good. Can you expand further? Are you observing a relationship that goes beyond professional?

If you like this guy and he likes you, by all means, date. Having a good relationship with his supervisor should not preclude that. I wouldn't want to date a guy who is obviously flirting with the supervisor or flirts heavily with anyone in general. It really isn't a pleasant experience to deal with a partner who flirts heavily with everyone.

• Author

Well he made that "girlfriend" joke a while ago, that definitely seems to be more than friends territory. And they talk all the time. I can't tell if it's just friendly or not. I was hoping the "mom" joke was a sign he doesn't have feelings for her since I'd never say that about a guy I liked.