"Girl next door" vs. "dressed up" vibe

redheaded-squirrel

redheaded-squirrel

Hi all,

I am asking this just out of curiosity, hypothetically, and looking forward to read your different opinions.

I am in my early 20s but dress to look older, in a simple, classical elegant style: pencil skirts, sheath dresses, heels, satin blouses, pearls - it fits my personality and lifestyle (and I dress for the job I want and study for - a diplomat). But I also work part-time for an NGO (more relaxed environment), so oftentimes I really stand out in the office. And my boss is the environmentally-friendly, "don't-care-about-money" and "cycle-to-work" type who prefers "girls next door" (judging by his wife/female friends).

So this got me thinking - as I said, it's sheer curiosity - what kind of vibe am I giving off, in general? If you are a man who prefers "girls next door" in T-shirts and jeans, how do the "dressed-up" women seem to you? How do they come across to you? Would you approach them? I think it would be too much to say that they are intimidating, or are they?

I would guess you are giving off a very conservative vibe which is okay if that is what makes you comfortable. What does it matter what your boss thinks about the way you dress as long as it is appropriate?

[...]

So this got me thinking - as I said, it's sheer curiosity - what kind of vibe am I giving off, in general? If you are a man who prefers "girls next door" in T-shirts and jeans, how do the "dressed-up" women seem to you? How do they come across to you? Would you approach them? I think it would be too much to say that they are intimidating, or are they?

I had a sales executive in a former company put it rather eloquently: Suits are out coat of armor, they present a professional image but also reassure ourselves. If you are wearing a professional outfit you are presenting a very professional or conservative image. And yes, you will be perceived that way. This implies that different men will respond to you, while others may indeed be intimidated.

• Like 1

Y'know, everyone has different tastes, A) for there own clothes and B) for what they like on a partner!

The way I dress, is heavily influenced by my lifestyle and experiences and that, I love my bandanas, ankara shirts, and wrist fulls of beads & leather. Thats my thing. In women, i've always been attracted to that kinda beachy, earthy, boho vibe.

But my gf? She doesn't fit that bill! When she dresses up, damn she DRESSES UP!! And you know what? She takes my breath away!! :love::love::love:

I'm sure she'd say the same, I'm certain sure her type has been all chinos, polos & blazers, till she met me.

But know what? She is the most attractive girl in the WORLD to me!! I am so in love with her, nothing else matters.

You just need to do you and I promise everything else just falls into place!

• Like 3

He probably likes looking at you and honestly most men don't dissect style as much as women do and probably all he knows is "she wears a dress." Don't worry about it.

I will say that sometime people can feel threatened when someone steps up their work dress because of the the whole "dress for the job you want" thing. But too bad.

• Like 1
SwordofFlame

Personally, I think the dressed up look you described is definitely more feminine and attractive in my opinion.

• Author
redheaded-squirrel
Hi all,

I am asking this just out of curiosity, hypothetically, and looking forward to read your different opinions.

I am in my early 20s but dress to look older, in a simple, classical elegant style: pencil skirts, sheath dresses, heels, satin blouses, pearls - it fits my personality and lifestyle (and I dress for the job I want and study for - a diplomat). But I also work part-time for an NGO (more relaxed environment), so oftentimes I really stand out in the office. And my boss is the environmentally-friendly, "don't-care-about-money" and "cycle-to-work" type who prefers "girls next door" (judging by his wife/female friends).

You know, it's not at all about the boss, but in general...it might be a sweeping generalization, but in the NGO environment, most men (colleagues, bosses) seem to prefer the "girl next door" type (that I am not).

It makes sense that my colleagues prefer such women - it's not all suits, ties and flashy cars in the NGO field, but rather informal clothes and bicycles... Am I limiting any dating potential for myself if I don't "blend" in?

I think you should dress however makes YOU happy, and it will attract the right kind of person for you.

I work in the creative industry and so my fiance met me not dressed up or down, sorta "urban chic" I guess, but at this point he's seen me in absolutely every state up dressed up/down and if he had to pick his favorite look for me I'm almost 90% positive he'd say his fave look is me wearing HIS clothes when I'm cold. :)

• Like 3
Y'know, everyone has different tastes, A) for there own clothes and B) for what they like on a partner!

The way I dress, is heavily influenced by my lifestyle and experiences and that, I love my bandanas, ankara shirts, and wrist fulls of beads & leather. Thats my thing. In women, i've always been attracted to that kinda beachy, earthy, boho vibe.

But my gf? She doesn't fit that bill! When she dresses up, damn she DRESSES UP!! And you know what? She takes my breath away!! :love::love::love:

I'm sure she'd say the same, I'm certain sure her type has been all chinos, polos & blazers, till she met me.

But know what? She is the most attractive girl in the WORLD to me!! I am so in love with her, nothing else matters.

You just need to do you and I promise everything else just falls into place!

^This. :love:

• Like 1
I'm almost 90% positive he'd say his fave look is me wearing HIS clothes when I'm cold. :)

Yeah, now that ^ is always a sexy look!!

You're going to get as many answers as there are people on this website. Dress however makes you happy! And you will attract the right kind of person - even if they are not normally into your style.

Personally (straight 25yo male here), I normally much prefer the "dressed up" look, but I've been attracted to the "girl next door" style before too.

• Like 1