OLD Question....Should I leave it alone?

Cora

Got a message from this guy last night on the dating site I'm on. He was the first guy I've encountered on there in a long time who seemed to legitimately catch my interest. So we exchanged a few messages back and forth for a bit. Then as I was sending him a message, asking him a question about himself...just carrying on conversation, he sent me one and our messages kind of got crossed. He asked me if I had Kik messenger. So after I had sent my last message to him asking him that question, I responded to him saying I did have Kik and that my name on there was the same as it was on the dating site.

Well that was the last I heard from him. He never did respond to my last question and never did contact me on Kik. Why would he ask if he never intended on chatting through there? I did search for his dating profile name on Kik just to see if I could find him and I did. I did not contact him though because I figured he lost interest, was talking to multiple women, found someone he liked better etc.

My question is should I contact him on Kik since I did find his name on there and since he did bring up chatting on there? Or should I just leave it alone? Because I feel if he truly was interested he'd contact me. I guess this is just another famous vanishing act that happens a lot these days...especially with OLD.

• Author

Thanks for the advice. I agree, if he were interested he would contact me. So I'm leaving it alone. I swear online dating is really starting to suck these days.

• Like 1
He asked me if I had Kik messenger.

Personally, I'd be wary of requests to switch to any kind of alternative message system. Generally the communications tends to go from OLD messages -> phone call / texts -> RL meeting.

Maybe I'm not down with the kids but I found that any break from that pattern, something is up. He's either looking for a pen pal, an ego boost, gathering a "pool" of female friends, or just playing around. Or it's something else like he gets extra credit for introducing new users (no idea what Kik is or how it works), or he's a scammer testing your compliance. Because if he's genuinely looking to meet up then why would he suggest any kind of new communication method? Why not just ask to meet up?

I would move on.

• Like 2
Personally, I'd be wary of requests to switch to any kind of alternative message system. Generally the communications tends to go from OLD messages -> phone call / texts -> RL meeting.

Maybe I'm not down with the kids but I found that any break from that pattern, something is up. He's either looking for a pen pal, an ego boost, gathering a "pool" of female friends, or just playing around. Or it's something else like he gets extra credit for introducing new users (no idea what Kik is or how it works), or he's a scammer testing your compliance. Because if he's genuinely looking to meet up then why would he suggest any kind of new communication method? Why not just ask to meet up?

I would move on.

Kik is just a messaging system that allows you to text back and forth without the need of someone's telephone number. So essentially you are right. When people move over to KIK a lot of the time the conversation ends up running dry because there never ends up being any plans to meet, so you end up as an online pen pal. Not always the case, but it's usual. Also sometimes people use it to casually send nudes back and forth. Other downside of that if you're not into those things.

• Like 1

This was just last night... maybe he got busy or had to work. It's way too soon to start talking about "vanishing." Some people drop off in the middle of a conversation and pick it up the next day. Besides, you barely know him. But you don't have to contact him, wait till he sends something on Kik. If he takes days to reach out, he's not that interested.

Edited by Erik30

If he had plans to progress the chat away from the dating site, then why didn't he just give you his number? Whenever, a guy mentions Skype, Kik or another messaging app, there is usually something he wants ie sex chat. You most likely dodged a bullet with this guy.

CaliforniaGirl

The first thing that pops into my head is that he wanted a hot chat and was speaking to several girls at once trying to get their Kik, got another woman's first and got caught up in that.

I have rarely known the truly interested guy who couldn't manage to find literally five seconds to send a message that something amazingly urgent had suddenly come up but he hoped to catch me later or whatever. Just to stay in the game and keep the girl from wandering off/losing interest.