Trying to break the ice.

Stephen Furry

Stephen Furry

So there's this girl, I started following her on IG, she followed me back. We really haven't interacted since, like for the past 3 months, but I have a huge crush on her. Last week I posted a pic of me on my birthday, and she said "happy birthday!!!!!" Now she's starting to like my pictures. I know she had a boyfriend but hasn't posted any pictures with him for a while and on her snapchat the other day she didn't do anything Valentines related.

Anyways I want to get to know her, message her and start a convo, but don't know where to start. Its kinda weird to me, meeting a girl online and sending a random message out of the blue. How should I go about this?? I'm thinking about saying "did I see you at the mall the other day?" Then it leads to other topics.

Edited by Stephen Furry

I wouldn't ask if you saw her at the Mall. It sounds a little creepy / stalkerish.

The good news is you live close & can bring this into real life.

1st strategy: mention something you will be doing over the weekend that is public. See if she shows up.

2nd strategy: ask if she wants to meet for coffee

• Like 1
  • Author
Stephen Furry

idk, a girl said that to me before... "did I see you...." I didn't get creeped out by it but thought it might work.

Asking her out feels kinda awkward to me. Maybe compliment her on her photography??

idk, a girl said that to me before... "did I see you...." I didn't get creeped out by it but thought it might work.

Asking her out feels kinda awkward to me. Maybe compliment her on her photography??

You can start with a compliment, but I do think d0nnivain has a point. It's better to just ask if she wants to meet for coffee or something. Regardless, you're still going to have to break the ice. Say Hi, compliment her on her photography. Ask if she'd like to go out for some coffee or whatever, and see what she says.

• Author
Stephen Furry
You can start with a compliment, but I do think d0nnivain has a point. It's better to just ask if she wants to meet for coffee or something. Regardless, you're still going to have to break the ice. Say Hi, compliment her on her photography. Ask if she'd like to go out for some coffee or whatever, and see what she says.

I would ask her out but she doesn't live near me anymore, she's about an hour away by plane. I'll start with a simple comment next time she posts something i guess.

Eternal Sunshine

One guy few days ago msged me on FB out of the blue and just said: "if you are free this Sunday, I have 2 tickets to a x show". I have seen him before in a couple of meet up groups but we never communicated much. I think it's best to be direct.

I would ask her out but she doesn't live near me anymore, she's about an hour away by plane. I'll start with a simple comment next time she posts something i guess.

If she lives that far away, it may help to be direct and just tell her that you like her and offer her your number. When you start 'beating about the bush' and doing the small talk thing, she may assume that you're just being friendly which could put you in the friend zone.

• Author
Stephen Furry

I posted a meme, and she replied with a joke of her own. I acknowledge it but it didn't lead to anything else. I'm getting more comfortable with these little interactions.

If she lived closer, yeah of course I would ask her out. But her being far away, I feel that I come off creepy. Do I? Maybe I'm afraid of rejection, because I've been through this before and they always seem not interested.