Blind Dating/Professional Complications

OatsAndHall

I am a teacher and just recently took a job in a small rural community. Being the newly single man or woman in a small town is always the hot topic and I have had several people try to set me up on blind dates with various single women from the area.

I am a little bit spooky about this as it can be difficult to navigate the political and social waters within these tiny communities. As new, non-tenured teacher, you have to be very careful about what you do and say as everyone knows everyone and people like to talk. I am concerned about dating a woman who is close friends with people in the community, not having it work out and then dealing with any dramatic fall-out from it.

A part of me is gun-shy about this as I dated a woman in a rural area for a little while, I called it off with her politely and had backlash when her and her family began running their mouths to many people in the area. It wasn't a pleasant thing to go through and my professional reputation took a hit.

Any thoughts or experiences like this?

Ah yes, life in a small town where everyone else know what you are doing, before you do...

It can be difficult to navigate within the social dynamics of a small town. People are always interested in new people, yet it can be hard to really be accepted into some social groups. Dating in a small town, it is just the risk you take. My only advice is to chose wisely.

Edited by BaileyB
  • Like 1
LookAtThisPOst
Ah yes, life in a small town where everyone else know what you are doing, before you do...

It can be difficult to navigate within the social dynamics of a small town. People are always interested in new people, yet it can be hard to really be accepted into some social groups. Dating in a small town, it is just the risk you take. My only advice is to chose wisely.

Right....or relocate.

• Like 1
  • Author
Right....or relocate.

That is the next option. I don't plan on staying in the area unless I can start meeting some people with the potential to lay down roots. That would be unfortunate as I do enjoy working in this area and have excellent financial security. I have been using the online sites but that has proven to be hit or miss: the closest date I've had was an hour away. Most of the women that have chatted with are a two hour drive. It is one of the least populated areas in the country.

Well then, you have no reason not to take the risk. If you want to meet someone and put down roots, you will have to take a risk with someone, sometime.