Can a 38 year old woman date a 23 year old guy?

Lonestar

I have this guy at my gym I've been friends with for awhile. We'll do cardio together and chat the whole time, sometimes we lift weights together, etc. I NEVER thought of dating him (in my head I've thought of f*cking him haha), but lately he's been asking me to do more and more things outside the gym. I agreed to go out for drinks with him next week, because he's really sweet, respectful, intelligent, friendly, and I like hanging out with him.

Am I crazy? Is 15 years too broad an age gap to date someone? Demi and Ashton are 15 years apart, but filthy rich and famous so they can get away with it. :laugh: He looks older and I look younger so we could both lie to the outside world about our ages and get away with it. What do ya think? I know age doesn't really matter, but there are some extremely judgmental people out there who will always have something to say. I already had one friend tell me I can't date him, because I'm gonna break a kid's heart. Last I knew 23 was an adult.

Do you live your life by what people will think?

If anybody's to get a heart broken, it might be you. If you're willing to chance it, go for it.

um hmm listen to moi!

Mine was 15 yrs my junior and I am a very young person for my age and my looks are not telling either! Picture upon PM requests! Send your email I will share!

I look back and say hmmmm wtf was I thinking, but reality was he pushed this to happen. I always had the feeling he would bail and hmmm he did but it is for the best! I cannot give him children, I am over raising mine!

Family and friends were great through all of this and supportive even his Korean mother! She is such a doll!

How he came to the reality of my age was his present wife who constantly called me an old hag and names I won't go into here and pointing out the fact of the age gap! But the 21 yr old should take her own advice he is 14 years her senior!

Lesson learned and believe me I won't repeat that mistake again. I am dating in my own age group and it is highly satisying!

curiousnycgirl

Legally and technically speaking you most certainly can date a 23 year old. I would have to wonder though how much you really have in common. Seems like you guys are at very different stages in your lives.

But hey give it a shot - you should be able to figure out pretty quickly if the relationship can survive outside the gymn!

I vote yes, what the hell? I'm dating someone 10 years my junior. Most of the time I don't even notice the age difference.

• Author

I'm not looking for a long term relationship with him. Just dating, friendship and some fun. I realize we're at different stages in life, but I'm not planning on marrying him. I'm not planning on marrying anyone right now, and I'm extremely independent. Most dating relationships don't last past 6 months, so I figure why not have some fun with someone I like hanging out with, regardless of age gap.

• Author
Originally posted by shamen

I vote yes, what the hell? I'm dating someone 10 years my junior. Most of the time I don't even notice the age difference.

:laugh: If I only had a 10 year age gap here, I probably wouldn't have second guessed it or made this post. Add on another 5 years and I'm a little concerned if it's too much. I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

Originally posted by Lonestar

I already had one friend tell me I can't date him, because I'm gonna break a kid's heart. Last I knew 23 was an adult.

don't let how other people feel dictate your life and how u live it. Date him but don't let it get too serious cause it would not last long term.

better he gets his heart broken by a more experienced and hopefully more knowledgeable and sympathetic older female than some dumb and selfish 20 yr old tramp.

you can teach him much of the world and its ways, not to mention sexually :laugh:

WithOrWithoutYou

Age is just a number. 15 years is a large gap, but he is 23, and is an adult. Like has already been said, you might be able to teach him some things. You might also really have some fun together, and hell, if it gets serious, women live longer than men anyway. :p As for what other people think, don't worry about it. No point in living your life for what other people will say.

• Author
Originally posted by alphamale

don't let how other people feel dictate your life and how u live it. Date him but don't let it get too serious cause it would not last long term.

better he gets his heart broken by a more experienced and hopefully more knowledgeable and sympathetic older female than some dumb and selfish 20 yr old tramp.

you can teach him much of the world and its ways, not to mention sexually :laugh:

Now this is a view I like!!! Never realized how much I have to offer him in the way of experience. This could be fun. :D

I dated an older guy, and it would have been fine if he wasn't a psycho :)

I think age is nothing but a number, what matters is how you feel with that person and how they treat you. Some differences can be fun, and you can also learn from him. Just don't get too attached since there's probably more problems with a large age gap relationship than with the average relationship.

Right now I'm seeing a guy the same age, and yeah he's immature and sometimes unreliable but that's half the fun, especially after the super clingy guys I've gone through. Including the older guy, that relationship I'd rather leave in the dust, but it definitely taught me a lot more about life and relationships, so I can't complain.

Just do what you want to do, I mean people can tell you things but it's up to you to do the learning and deciding. Take a chance :)

RecordProducer

Age is just a number? Because of that number we get ill, ugly, and eventually die.

Anyway, my boyfriend is 18 years older than me, because I have always been into older guys. I am simply not attracted to the guys my age.

Lovestar, go for it! You'd be doing this guy a favor by dating him. You're a young woman and he is still a boy. Why do you care what people will say? Do you live in a small town? If you think that you might earn undesirable reputation, you can always hide from the world. It's sweeter when it's forbidden! ;)

I'm not looking for a long term relationship with him. Just dating, friendship and some fun.

Famous last words, lonestar

Originally posted by Mr Spock

Famous last words, lonestar

I tend to agree, ya never know... I'm now just seeing my guy and no one else. Totally did not plan for this to happen.