Have many people had success with Internet dating?

tomtheman1234

tomtheman1234

I am a 40 year old bloke. For the first time every after lots of bad Internet dates I finally go on 3 dates with the same girl I met on Internet date and we seem to hit to hit it off rite away. Also been texting each other every day since date 2.

I just wonder if anyone has had success with Internet dating?

75% of singles are online.

25% of new couples met online.

I think it's worth exploring.

I met my BF online and we've been dating 1 year.

It took me 3,5 year to find him and met close to 200 men over that time.

Some people meet right away like a friend of mine. The 3rd man she met became her husband and father of their 2 kids.

• Like 2

Met my BF online, and we've been together 3+ years. I had been online for 8 months and dated several other guys for short periods (1-2 mos) before I met him.

I met my XH on OLD. But all my LTRs so far, except XH, were people I met IRL.

I used OLD 2005/6.

Had success hooking up for sex but nothing long term.

My LTR's have come from RL encounters

No I tried last year won't ever go back just ppl looking for hookups.

When you do find someone eventually you figure out they're jobless or fresh out of a relationship or desperate it's always something that's landed them there.

I think the normal ppl are like needles in haystacks on there.

• Like 1

I online dated on and off for 5 years. In that time, I had countless first dates, quite a few very short (two month or less) dating experiences, one 4 month relationship and now have been with a boyfriend I met on Tinder for 9 months.

It is looking like my online dating days are behind me if things continue on as they have with my current boyfriend. :)

I tried it in 2006 and proceeded to get catfished before I even knew there was a term for it, so my experience with it was terrible and I never delved into it afterwards. I am sure however, that some people have had success.

Whether the success has been long term I do not know since I got my fill of social media for the most part back then and never really held it in much esteem due to my negative experience.

What I can tell you from what I have been able to discern in related threads to this is that I would imagine that Women perhaps have more success at it than men. Perhaps for the simple fact that the amount of men on OLD sites are probably a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio. So I would guess it is far easier for a female to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff on those sites. Which I suppose is a good thin if you are looking for something long term.

I also met my fiancée on match. Wedding July 2017.

Online for 18 months, met about 30 men, one 3 month relationship and dated others for 5-9 dates but without getting physical or making any progress so I don't count them as relationships.

• Like 2

Closest I've got was a conversation. Unfortunately, the window expired, and in my excitement, I neglected to get her contact info, so that was that :(

I haven't tried Match.com yet, so we'll play the numbers game and see how that works out.

One of my friends said she met her husband through OLD.

I am a 40 year old bloke. For the first time every after lots of bad Internet dates I finally go on 3 dates with the same girl I met on Internet date and we seem to hit to hit it off rite away. Also been texting each other every day since date 2.

I just wonder if anyone has had success with Internet dating?

Things are going well with her. Why not objectively evaluate the situation on it's/her own merits? Yeah, a lot of the apples in a basket may be rotten, but most people don't toss the whole basket, they look at the apples, one at time. If there aren't any obvious signs that an apple is bad, they keep it until they know for sure.

• Like 1

Well, I was with someone more than 10 years that I met online. We were married 8 years, now divorced. It was a waste of my life. But I was too young at the time to know what a healthy relationship should be. I think when you have experience with relationships, whether you're meeting people online or at parties/whatever or at work etc, it shouldn't make a huge difference. If someone has bad judgement with meeting people online then they will have bad judgement getting involved with people they meet anywhere else too.

mortensorchid

Well it's all relative as far as I can see. If you OLD (as in websites or apps) you will meet a larger volume of people than if you were in RL. In my experience, quality is better than quantity and you are not going to meet many quality people online. You will also not meet many quality people in RL either.

Some have criticized me for posting a certain set of rules and/or codes I live by with dating (If I have not heard from the man within the first 48 hours after the first get together I will not hear from him again and assume NEXT, if I hear from him within the first 48 hours it must be from a phone call not a text, etc.). Am I too harsh? No, I don't believe so, because human nature is universal and experience has taught me otherwise whatever they are saying on bogus talk shows we have been bombarded with over the years. Facts are facts. Also remember that when websites like Match or EHarmony are marketing themselves to us to get people to sign up saying that they are the answer and anything else is not. And we fall for it. I have met just as many nuts and dead ends through there as I have on the free ones.

If there was an answer, like I have said before, I would tell you the answer. But the only thing I can tell you is that if it's meant to be it will happen. I have started to realize in the last few years that maybe it's not meant to be for me and I need to be happy and accept my life as it is. Sounds negative but ... I am happy with myself and know that I have much to offer others. If they choose trash girls, they choose that for themselves and it's not my fault.

So the answer is yes, people have success with OLD but they are few and far between.

LookAtThisPOst
Closest I've got was a conversation. Unfortunately, the window expired, and in my excitement, I neglected to get her contact info, so that was that :(

I haven't tried Match.com yet, so we'll play the numbers game and see how that works out.

One of my friends said she met her husband through OLD.

Yep, just conversations and catfishes....not much else. I had 2 dates so far this year. 1 from OK Cupid, another from POF.

I met many dozens of women via OLD. I had numerous relationships of various lengths from those, and my incredible wife is one of them. It worked for me, though of course there were occasional problems, disappointments, and dry spells.

Edited by central
  • Like 1
normal person

It works for a lot of people. I read a stat saying 1/3 of US marriages now start online, which is pretty astounding. My good friend met his wife on Match. I've met a few dozen women in the last few years, there are some great people on there.

IT depends upon how you define success. I've had two long term relationships with women I've met online, and am currently in month 4 with another woman. (seems to be the best match for me so far) So to me, yes, that's success. I've done the married thing before so for me, that doesn't define success.

The fact that the relationships didn't work out has nothing to do with meeting them online. Had I met them by some other means, the relationship still wouldn't have worked.

I am in my early 30s and did online dating for three years before I recently said "enough of this." OLD resulted in a few hookups, but no success whatsoever finding a long-term relationship. Most of the women I encountered online were not high quality. They all had some type of baggage. I would rather be single and lonely than do online dating again. I'm done with that pathetic scene.

Edited by Redguitar35

It vey much depends where you are in the world. Some countries are more open to the idea than others.

Undoubtedly I can work but overall I am not sure its wholly effective as a means to find a relationship.