Christianity vs. Wicca [dating compatibility]

I'm meeting up with an old acquaintance tonight.

I do not consider this a date...but I think he does. He's said he always thought I was gorgeous and gave me his number a year ago...I never called.

He reached out to me and wanted to hang out...seeing as I'm on summer break and alot of my friends are on vacation...I said yes.

If the right guy came along I'd be open to new possibilities but probably not right now...I need some time being single and to work on myself. I start therapy in a week

So I started this thread more out of curiosity than anything else

Anyway...He's a conservative Christian and I'm Wiccan.

I can honestly tell you that I'm not oppossed to Christianity ...what I cant stand is the Christians that offer up their religion unsolicited to people who have no interest in Christianity

I'm also well aware that some conservative Christians arent too fond of Wiccans

He has no idea I'm Wiccan...I dont disclose that information right off the bat

Differences in religion are usually a deal breaker right???

Or can two people accept each other's religion and make it work anyway???

Just curious about your thoughts :D

Some people can readily coexist with other religions, even when dating. Some can't. If he is a conservative Christian, then he probably won't be tolerant of your beliefs - but there are always exceptions.

Can he be respectful as a friend, though? Maybe you'll find out if you share it with him. Of course, if he starts talking about religion and shows any intolerance, it may be simpler to leave him in ignorance.

• Like 2

I don't think religion has to be a deal breaker. If two people can be tolerant and respectful of each other's beliefs then it can work. The trick is many ppl from major religions refuse to see that any way other than theirs can be correct. There's not much bargaining room with "believe what I believe or burn for eternity"

Interesting. First of all, if he's dating and having sex with other women, his faith is likely not all that important to him. He's probably conservative socially and politically, but not in faith, so you may have a chance. If he is truly a conservative Christian by faith, he will likely shun you as there is no compromise between Wicca and traditionally held Christian beliefs. This is something that should be brought out immediately. No shame in it, right? You hold strong to your belief system and telling him shouldn't be a problem.

Why do you think he's a conservative Christian?

• Like 2

It's probably going to be a dealbreaker. I am a Christian and conflicting beliefs will cause stress. The Bible says to not be "unequally yoked" which means a believer with a nonbeliever....

• Like 2
  • Author
Some people can readily coexist with other religions, even when dating. Some can't. If he is a conservative Christian, then he probably won't be tolerant of your beliefs - but there are always exceptions.

Can he be respectful as a friend, though? Maybe you'll find out if you share it with him. Of course, if he starts talking about religion and shows any intolerance, it may be simpler to leave him in ignorance.

Thanks for your reply central :D

This is what I was thinking too

I think some can make it work...others cant

I dont know for sure thats hes a conservative Christian....but I know he's a conservative Republican and Christian....which leads me to believe he is

I think your advice is spot on. I would ask him about his religion first...kind of gauge what he has to say....depending on if he seems open minded or not....I'd made my decision whether or not to tell him what I believe in

I dont mind Christians and their beliefs....I just dont want to feel like I'm sitting in church when I has a convo with him

It wouldnt matter to me if he wasnt tolerant of my beliefs...thats on him not me....I'd just stop talking to him

• Like 2
  • Author
Interesting. First of all, if he's dating and having sex with other women, his faith is likely not all that important to him. He's probably conservative socially and politically, but not in faith, so you may have a chance. If he is truly a conservative Christian by faith, he will likely shun you as there is no compromise between Wicca and traditionally held Christian beliefs. This is something that should be brought out immediately. No shame in it, right? You hold strong to your belief system and telling him shouldn't be a problem.

Why do you think he's a conservative Christian?

Very good points simpleNfit, thank you!!! :D

I dont know for sure that he's a conservative Christian but he is a conservative Republican and christian....so.....maybe he is

But like you said, he's def no virgin...so maybe theres some room for open mindedness

You think I should bring my religion up to him??? Dont get me wrong I hold firm in my beliefs and am proud of my religion...I just dont speak about it because I know alot of people are judgemental about this kind of thing

I'd be hesitant to tell him...the last thing I want it a lecture about how I'm going to "burn in hell" lol

he's a conservative Republican and Christian....

From where I sit, up here in the great Canadian north, this sounds like someone I would not want to deal with.

• Like 5
  • Author

***I know his political and religous beliefs because of the things he "likes" on fb and his posts....also because on his fb page....under political beliefs he says hes a conservative Republican

• Author
From where I sit, up here in the great Canadian north, this sounds like someone I would not want to deal with.

Lol I know right?! :lmao:

Eh, I'm trying to have an open mind....maybe he could surprise me....wont hold my breath though

You think I should bring my religion up to him???

You have no choice but to bring it up early. This man probably expects no sex before marriage, no contraceptives, babies popping out from year 1, weakly church attending, and daily shooting range visit.

callingyouuu
Differences in religion are usually a deal breaker right???

Or can two people accept each other's religion and make it work anyway???

Not necessarily a dealbreaker. It depends on how big a part of his life Christianity actually is. I know a lot of people who grew up in a conservative Christian household but don't practice very seriously now that they're adults. Those individuals would be more likely to be accepting of their partner having different beliefs.

• Author
You have no choice but to bring it up early. This man probably expects no sex before marriage, no contraceptives, babies popping out from year 1, weakly church attending, and daily shooting range visit.

He is def not a virgin...so hes not that extreme

Ehhhh....its going to be wierd bringing it up. This is making me nervous now

Wow. [c]hristian and Republican. I intentionally made the "c" lower case. :-)

I am willing to bet his political perspective reflects more accurately with his overall belief system than Jesus Christ does. Talk about the perfect combination of intolerance. C+R AND conservative. You are from the NE and after reading some of your posts, and of course, your faith, why would you be interested in such a person??? No, you will both have issues and you will find his belief system very off-putting.

• Like 2
It's probably going to be a dealbreaker. I am a Christian and conflicting beliefs will cause stress. The Bible says to not be "unequally yoked" which means a believer with a nonbeliever....

Depends what type of Christian you are.

I am Catholic, which is the very first Christian religion, and we don't promote prejudice like you are mentioning.

• Like 1
He is def not a virgin...so hes not that extreme

Ehhhh....its going to be wierd bringing it up. This is making me nervous now

Please make it a deal breaker if his intention is to vote for Trump.

• Like 1
  • Author
Wow. [c]hristian and Republican. I intentionally made the "c" lower case. :-)

I am willing to bet his political perspective reflects more accurately with his overall belief system than Jesus Christ does. Talk about the perfect combination of intolerance. C+R AND conservative. You are from the NE and after reading some of your posts, and of course, your faith, why would you be interested in such a person??? No, you will both have issues and you will find his belief system very off-putting.

Ohhhh god....ugh....yes you are very right

****Should I cancel the meet up????

btw....I like the lowercase ;)

• Author
Please make it a deal breaker if his intention is to vote for Trump.

Deal breaker it is!!! lol

Ok...should I cancel the meet up????

I kinda feel like I'm setting myself up for failure now

I dont know theres a point in going

Deal breaker it is!!! lol

Ok...should I cancel the meet up????

I kinda feel like I'm setting myself up for failure now

I dont know theres a point in going

It's just a meet up, why not go and watch his face when you tell him about your belief, and of course we want an update :-)

• Like 1

I think that couples who have different religions can work if they respect each other's beliefs.

The problems will happen if one party doesn't respect the other's beliefs or if you have very different beliefs about morals and ethics.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's just a meet up, why not go and watch his face when you tell him about your belief, and of course we want an update :-)

Ok I'll go

I have to be honest...although I keep quiet about my religion...I do defend it to the very end and can get quite heated if someone does not show me the same tolerance I show them

So heres to hoping this will go smoothly! lol

Of course I will post an update when I get home! :D

I think that couples who have different religions can work if they respect each other's beliefs.

The problems will happen if one party doesn't respect the other's beliefs or if you have very different beliefs about morals and ethics.

I believe this is true IF neither hold traditional beliefs, which, unfortunately, also involve doctrine. A lukewarm Catholic and a lukewarm Jew can work. It is not uncommon form people of differing faiths to be together, but if either hold more "conservative" views, it will not be a match made in heaven.

I wonder how much of this guy's facebook is devoted to the teachings of Jesus Christ? I suspect very little to none. He "identifies" himself as a Christian, but his focus likely revolves around this political/social views. I have very dear CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN friends, but I can tell you that their CHRISTIAN values override the latter two. I respect them and the degree of tolerance and compassion and respect they have for their fellow man. They don't pretend to know it all....

• Author
I believe this is true IF neither hold traditional beliefs, which, unfortunately, also involve doctrine. A lukewarm Catholic and a lukewarm Jew can work. It is not uncommon form people of differing faiths to be together, but if either hold more "conservative" views, it will not be a match made in heaven.

I wonder how much of this guy's facebook is devoted to the teachings of Jesus Christ? I suspect very little to none. He "identifies" himself as a Christian, but his focus likely revolves around this political/social views. I have very dear CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN friends, but I can tell you that their CHRISTIAN values override the latter two. I respect them and the degree of tolerance and compassion and respect they have for their fellow man. They don't pretend to know it all....

Yes, I do not know that hes a conservative Christian. But I do know he is Christian. All his posts are about conservative Republican views...not conservative Chrisitan views. So maybe he practices moderation with his religious beliefs

So maybe...just maybe....he'll be open minded

Like I said though....not going to hold my breath.

I'm thinking this is the first and last time I'll be going out with him...if I'm just being realistic

Ok....have to go finish getting ready!

I'll post an update when I get home! :D

Yes, I do not know that hes a conservative Christian. But I do know he is Christian. All his posts are about conservative Republican views...not conservative Chrisitan views. So maybe he practices moderation with his religious beliefs

So maybe...just maybe....he'll be open minded

Like I said though....not going to hold my breath.

I'm thinking this is the first and last time I'll be going out with him...if I'm just being realistic

Ok....have to go finish getting ready!

I'll post an update when I get home! :D

One other thing that I have found interesting over the years. People who need to identify themselves either as "conservative" or "liberal" or even "moderate" Christians, do so to provide their political and social leanings.

I spent 1 year in seminary, a few years in inter-faith study and went from an atheist to a born-again Christian to what I am now.... the history and doctrine of the various faiths is very interesting to say the least. Combine that with social norms and political influences and you get a clearer view of why so many people's social/political views oftentimes does not reflect their faith.

Good luck.

i am a little confused. if he is just a friend and your not interested in him beyond that then i would think its not a big deal.

but if your thinking about more then that...then it would be something that i would discuss if you feel like maybe you like him as more then just a friend.

i would suppose if he is a fundamentalist or something along those lines it could be a issue. but if he is more of a casual person religiously then it may not be.

as far as the politics side of it goes. ehhh, im not a big fan of die hards on either side of the isle personally.