Mentally Getting Over Ex

dannmann1992

deadparrot

Getting to a place where:

...you can date with a clear head, without constantly comparing your current date/SO to your ex.

...the thought of your ex with someone else doesn't seriously trouble you.

...the idea of dating again is exciting because you're ready for someone new in your life, not because you need someone to take your mind off your ex.

• Author
dannmann1992
Getting to a place where:

...you can date with a clear head, without constantly comparing your current date/SO to your ex.

...the thought of your ex with someone else doesn't seriously trouble you.

...the idea of dating again is exciting because you're ready for someone new in your life, not because you need someone to take your mind off your ex.

Thanks. I just think people who use that line are full of it. It's just a nicer way of saying I'm just not into you.

deadparrot

I mean, yes. I think, if meant truthfully--that you're still getting over your last relationship and you need some more time to heal--it could be a temporary situation, and when they're in a better headspace they might feel differently. But that's a huuuuge might.

But a lot of people do use that as a nicer way of letting down people they're not ultimately interested in. Somehow "I'm still getting over my ex" stings less than "I am not attracted to you." That said, that approach can lead to complications down the road when the rejected party assumes that they'll get another crack at it if they just give it time.

• Author
dannmann1992
I mean, yes. I think, if meant truthfully--that you're still getting over your last relationship and you need some more time to heal--it could be a temporary situation, and when they're in a better headspace they might feel differently. But that's a huuuuge might.

But a lot of people do use that as a nicer way of letting down people they're not ultimately interested in. Somehow "I'm still getting over my ex" stings less than "I am not attracted to you." That said, that approach can lead to complications down the road when the rejected party assumes that they'll get another crack at it if they just give it time.

well now that I'm thinking about it I think she was just more so giving me an explanation/telling me what's going on with her.

She said "hey, I know I've been moving slow but it's because I'm still trying to mentally get over my ex. Just wanted to let you know".

Does that sound like i'm just not that interested in you cop out?

jebrooks1988
well now that I'm thinking about it I think she was just more so giving me an explanation/telling me what's going on with her.

She said "hey, I know I've been moving slow but it's because I'm still trying to mentally get over my ex. Just wanted to let you know".

Does that sound like i'm just not that interested in you cop out?

No it doesn't. It sounds like she respects and cares for you enough to explain what's going on on her end.