Still living at home...

hhastings17

hhastings17

I've been seeing this guy exclusively for a few months now. We see each other 1-3 times a week, either going out or staying in at his place. We talked about just staying in one night this weekend to have dinner and watch movies...Except he asked if he could come to my place.

I am 20 years old (he is 28) and I still live at home with my parents. I'm in nursing school so it's been really hard to find somewhere that I can afford, but I'm working on it. Anyway...

I'm totally freaked out about him wanting to come over. He knows that coming to my place will entail meeting my parents, which he says he wants to. I'm not worried about him meeting them (he hasn't yet), i want him too. But i just can't get over the idea of hanging out in my house knowing my parents are in the other room, especially because we are both adults. It's almost like throwback to high school dating.

I wouldn't mind suggesting we go and do something, but he has asked me several times when I was going to invite him over.

I'm torn because I'm worried about it being uncomfortable if my parents are home in the other room, but I don't want him to feel like I don't want him around.

Any advice?!

• Like 1
Cinnamonstix

It is your current living situation. You need to own it. If you're ready to let him meet your parents, have him over. He needs to enter "your world" just as you have entered his. Take the next step!

• Like 4

snip

I wouldn't mind suggesting we go and do something, but he has asked me several times when I was going to invite him over.

I'm torn because I'm worried about it being uncomfortable if my parents are home in the other room, but I don't want him to feel like I don't want him around.

Any advice?!

If you give it a try, it could turn out to be a good thing.

Give it a try.

Don't want him to see your Dad walking around with nothing but an un-fastened dressing gown on huh?

He just sounds curious about your homelife. You should introduce him to your folks - maybe dinner at your placethen stay at his after.

You have talked to him about your resevations right? I'm sure he'll get it.

d0nnivain

Invite him over for dinner but have "dessert" at his place.

I certainly would not engage in PDA with my adult BF in my parents home with them in the next room.

The fact that he wants to meet them is a good sign though. It says he values their approval.

• Author
hhastings17
Invite him over for dinner but have "dessert" at his place.

I certainly would not engage in PDA with my adult BF in my parents home with them in the next room.

The fact that he wants to meet them is a good sign though. It says he values their approval.

I would do that, but he has an exam tomorrow evening and he commutes, so we wont be getting together until 8 or 830 so dinner is kind of out of the question with my parents!

I do agree with you though, i'm taking it as a good sign that he keeps mentioning wanting to come over.

mortensorchid

It can be embarrassing, no argument here. But tell him this is your situation.

I went out with someone a few years ago (three times, I might add) who lived at home with his parents. When I came to pick him up, he later explained he didn't invite me in because he lived with his family. I said I was fine with that, things are so hard financially now for all of us. He then told me some other things about himself that made me think... Oh... So I didn't see him again.

I also was in two LTRs with those who lived with their moms. It didn't bother me. Both still live with them. That's their choice to do so.

• Author
hhastings17
It can be embarrassing, no argument here. But tell him this is your situation.

I went out with someone a few years ago (three times, I might add) who lived at home with his parents. When I came to pick him up, he later explained he didn't invite me in because he lived with his family. I said I was fine with that, things are so hard financially now for all of us. He then told me some other things about himself that made me think... Oh... So I didn't see him again.

I also was in two LTRs with those who lived with their moms. It didn't bother me. Both still live with them. That's their choice to do so.

Thank you so much for that!

It definitely is embarrassing! He knew my situation from the first date. I was straight up with him about being younger than him and living at home. it has never seemed to bother him, or he hasn't said anything about it anyway!

d0nnivain

It doesn't have to be tomorrow. Plan something in advance when it will be convenient for him AND most importantly your parents.