Being single on the dreaded V Day...

Toodaloo

As some may know I have a "thing" about Valentines day in that single or not these days I go off and make the whole thing loads of fun.

So this week/ weekend I do not have a free night. I am out and doing loads. I have a ton of theatre tickets booked and its going to be awesome!

What are you doing this year?

• Like 2

Good girl for having a great spirit on V day!

This year is the 1st time in 12 years I have someone in my life to celebrate Valentine's Day. It will be a romantic dinner and kinky 'lovin'. :D

• Like 11

It's a fake celebration invented by Clintons to fill the gap in their turnover between Christmas and Easter. Also conveniently placed to stack the books in preparation for the end of the tax year.

Yeah, I'll probably be mostly apologising and licking boots :D

• Like 2
  • Author
It's a fake celebration invented by Clintons to fill the gap in their turnover between Christmas and Easter. Also conveniently placed to stack the books in preparation for the end of the tax year.

So you have the flowers and a card and the table booked then... :laugh:

You know it! :D

I can't wait to hear what happens when Gaeta gives her beau that jumper!!!

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine
Good girl for having a great spirit on V day!

This year is the 1st time in 12 years I have someone in my life to celebrate Valentine's Day. It will be a romantic dinner and kinky 'lovin'. :D

Go Gaeta!!! :bunny:

• Like 2

I don't get why everybody on LS is so hyped about Valentines Day. Maybe it's because you are mostly American and Dutch people are more 'down to earth'.

I have no plans.

I am on the other side of the world, 6 weeks into a new job in a new place :)

Someone has invited me to a singles meetup with drinks, ice breakers, a bit of speed dating etc. on sunday...

Not sure if I should bother going really. I always stay away from "singles" events. Something about not wanting to advertise the obvious fact I am alone and have no one but not wanting to appear desperate and look too involved in trying to find someone...but it might be fun. What would you do? :confused:

• Like 2
I have no plans.

Someone has invited me to a singles meetup with drinks, ice breakers, a bit of speed dating etc. on sunday...

Not sure if I should bother going really. I always stay away from "singles" events. Something about not wanting to advertise the obvious fact I am alone and have no one but not wanting to appear desperate and look too involved in trying to find someone...but it might be fun. What would you do? :confused:

GO!

No point in hiding the fact you are single and looking, you could hide away until you are 90 and guess what? You never find anyone...

• Like 3
I have no plans.

I'd go. Best case, you meet someone. Worst case, it sucks and you can laugh about your crazy foreign speed-dating experience for the rest of your life :laugh:

And don't worry about looking desperate or alone to the other people there... They, too, are at a speed dating event. The jig is up, ya know? ;)

• Like 2

That is true...I should take my chances :o

By the way, on average how much should you be paying for these kind of things? This one is in the region of £20...not sure if that is good or not and I know the drinks at the place they are holding it are super expensive o_O

• Like 1
You can't fool me, I've been in Eindhoven on koningsdag!

Hahahaha, okay you got me there. Carnaval is even worse!

No serious, I wonder because I find those differences interesting. Is American marketing tuned to Valentines Day a lot?

• Like 1

I will be going to the movies by myself on Saturday. I'm pretty excited about it. I've always been one to stay in and be afraid of going out since I'm single.

• Like 6
Hahahaha, okay you got me there. Carnaval is even worse!

No serious, I wonder because I find those differences interesting. Is American marketing tuned to Valentines Day a lot?

From a UK perspective...there is always something. Clintons and the cards thing is correct but I worked at a supermarket. So...as soon as Christmas is over, the Easter stuff would come out. The eggs and hot cross buns. Then mid/late January a mix of Valentines and Easter stuff. Then after Valentines a mix of Easter and Mothers day stuff. After Mothers day, just Easter. Once Easter is done, its fairly quiet until they start trying to flog more snacky rubbish for Mayday and the disposable bbq's and picnic type things for summer. Also the Fathers day stuff comes in late May/early June. Then they ramp up the strawbs and cream for Wimbledon...and it is fairly quiet over summer until September and Halloween...as soon as Halloween is done, Christmas...

and the whole sorry cycle starts again :D

I learned to wait until after each celebration was over and we would buy the sweets/unsold gifts at 50-70% off.

• Like 4

I'll be spending Singles Awareness Day with my lovely self. In the thick of winter and minus 20 temps I will be cuddled up cozily under a warm afghan on my envelope of a sofa, watching Lifetime movies while devouring chocolates and cinnamon hearts my children had given me.

Nothing is sweeter than that!

:p

• Like 7
DivorcedDad123

This year I'm a little short on cash. (I gave my gf money to help cover some of her bills this month) So, Im just taking her to her favorite Italian resteraunt. It's the first weekend our custody schedules have matched up since before Christmas, so we'll be spending the weekend together.

Kinda bummed out that I can't really get her anything. She always likes a new piece of jewelry. Had my eye on a nice double heart pendant, but that will have to wait.

As it's my weekend with the kids, or should I say not the weekend the kids go to their dads, it'll be business as usual for me (as it has been for the last umpteen years, even when their dad and I were together); laundry, big roast dinner, maybe a walk if the weather's fine and this year the joy of not having to get up early the next day as it's half-term for both me and the nippers.

Off to see Deadpool on the Saturday with friends, drinks afterwards then hangover on Sunday. Not the first time I've been single on V day and not the last. At least the pressure is off when you're single - do I do something, do I not.. blah blah.

Off topic kinda' but when single I think V day is the perfect time to send someone you like or think about something nice. I recall sending a single rose to a girl I liked but didn't have feelings for. The colour was for friendship. I didn't sign it, just a question mark. She loved it and it made her day, which also made mine.

• Like 4

The Clintons? And here I was blaming Obama all this time....:D

Off topic kinda' but when single I think V day is the perfect time to send someone you like or think about something nice. I recall sending a single rose to a girl I liked but didn't have feelings for. The colour was for friendship. I didn't sign it, just a question mark. She loved it and it made her day, which also made mine.

That's a really good idea, for both the for-you and for-someone-else parts. If you feel crappy, doing sth nice for someone else - preferably someone who needs it - can make you feel a lot better. And esp on V-Day. :)

• Like 3

I have been single for pretty much every Valentine's Day in my life... I have a knack for not dating anyone during that time. My favourite tradition is either completely ignore it (which is actually pretty easy when it falls on a week-end!) or get Chinese take-away and watch a funny movie.

This year I'm seeing the guy I'm currently dating, but nothing is official between us yet and neither of us has actually mentioned that Sunday is V Day. So I'm not anticipating or expecting anything. I might get him some little chocolates or something, we'll see.