What to get for Valentines Day?

Otter2569

V-Day - Ugh!! What to get / do for Vday?

I've gone out with this woman twice in the last few weeks so we are hardly in a relationship. We do text and talk on the phone but not extensively and we have not slept together. She is very thoughtful, fun and outgoing. I could see something developing BUT I just got out of a bad relationship and am taking my sweet ass time to get myself back on track. She knows this and is great about giving me space and not crowding me.

We are getting together again this weekend - I just realized its VDay weekend!

I was thinking a box of expensive chocolates and champagne. Not original but its something?

Thoughts or other ideas????

ps - while out shopping with her GF's she texted me that she saw a really nice shirt that she liked and bought it for me.

Edited by Otter2569

Wouldn't splash out so much so soon. It sounds like you two are at the very early stages so it could go anyway right now.

I'd go with the simple card and a single question mark. No obvious signs of love or anything like on that on it either. Just something sweet but open-ended, you like her but you're not in love... yet.

• Like 1

Bah, the last thing I got for Valentine's Day was a handshake. You're not official or anything so don't go for the expensive chocolates and champagne, that's too much!

Where's the art of seduction gone?! You need to subtly imply that you're interested in being exclusive, maybe a keyring or a pack of Love Hearts, if you have those over there. Or a card with 'Bee mine' on it with a picture of a bee.

These are rubbish examples. Go with Smudge's idea.

• Like 1
  • Author

I hear you brother but i'm pretty sure she bought me an expensive shirt based on the pics she posted from her girls weekend.

Tough call - do too much or too little?

Bah, the last thing I got for Valentine's Day was a handshake. You're not official or anything so don't go for the expensive chocolates and champagne, that's too much!

Where's the art of seduction gone?! You need to subtly imply that you're interested in being exclusive, maybe a keyring or a pack of Love Hearts, if you have those over there. Or a card with 'Bee mine' on it with a picture of a bee.

These are rubbish examples. Go with Smudge's idea.

I'm yours ?

• Like 2
I hear you brother but i'm pretty sure she bought me an expensive shirt based on the pics she posted from her girls weekend.

Ah, OK then. Well you could be prepared for both I guess. Have some champagne in the fridge, and let her present her gift first, that way if she has just got you a keyring, you can give her your bee card and all is well. If the shirt comes out then you pop out the champagne AND the bee card. Oh yes.

• Like 3

Go with the card, but only if you send it. If you give it to her, then may as well put your name obviously. Then take her out for dinner. If it's not too late, and if she's the romantic type, then a single rose is always good - if you Google it, different colors have different meanings. Put some thought into it. Her gift may be expensive, but yours could be worth much more.

• Like 2

How about a light hearted card, some moderately priced chocolates & champagne? By my count that has you dropping close to $70 - $80: $3-5 for the card; $10-$15 for the chocolate & $40-$50 for the bubbles. (N.B. the stuff you get for $10-$15 -- Korbel, Frexinet, Andre, Cooks, Cava etc is not champagne)

• Like 2
  • Author

To put things in some context: we have known each other for a few years but have not kept in contact. The two dates have been a lot of fun. One resulted in some heavy petting (thank you alcohol LOL) the other involved going to a party and meeting her friends. For the party she bought me my favorite beer and made a separate dessert for me to bring home for my boys. Plus the mystery shirt.

With date #3 coming up this weekend I have to be prepared for anything.

When a woman buys an expensive shirt to a man that's because she considers herself in a relationship. You sure she is as 'go with the flow' as you are!

Simply get her a box of fancy chocolate.

The shirt may not even be for you.

• Author

D0nnivain, that's exactly where I was going to go. Plus keeping these items at bay to see how things play out.

I may end up enjoying the chocolate and champagne in the hot tub by myself but thats ok too :)

• Author

G - she texted to ask what size dress shirt I wear. Honestly I'd be a little disappointed if she didnt come through or it had a tag from TJ Maxx LOL

• Like 1

Just remember, this isn't a competition - just because she got you something expensive doesn't mean you have to. It's all about the thought that counts. Here's was a spur of the moment, yours could be something you've really thought about. Plus, if you do out-do her, she may feel a bit put out that her gift wasn't as good as yours. Basically, just go with whatever you feel is right and enjoy the day/night. Don't worry about it too much.

• Like 2

Otter

Do what you feel comfortable with.

If you feel comfortable with the chocs and booze do that.

By the way flowers do go a long way!!! Not roses though. Something else, has she ever mentioned her favourite flowers?

• Like 2
Otter

Do what you feel comfortable with.

If you feel comfortable with the chocs and booze do that.

By the way flowers do go a long way!!! Not roses though. Something else, has she ever mentioned her favourite flowers?

Agree, flowers are my favourite gift! And I mean like a mixed bouquet, something with tulips, gerbera daisies etc... Not closed red roses.

After flowers, I'm always impressed when a guy has really listened to me and produces whatever I said I liked. One guy I dated was excellent with that - he showed up with my favourite chocolate one time when I had mentioned it in passing, and another time he came with my favourite hot drink mixes which are hard to find in my country. Definite brownie points went his way! And none of it cost him much money.

• Like 3

One of the best gifts a man has ever given me was a basil plant. I mentioned that I love the smell of basil...

I actually love that more than flowers. :love:

Didn't matter how ugly etc he was, I adored that bloke from that moment on. Shame it didn't last but ho hum you can't win them all.

• Like 1
G - she texted to ask what size dress shirt I wear. Honestly I'd be a little disappointed if she didnt come through or it had a tag from TJ Maxx LOL

hhmm now I am filled with doubts. I have been dating someone for 2 months and I had no intention of buying him something as in a gift. I thought Valentine was about flowers, chocolate, cards and sexy lingerie.

• Like 1

Get her some unfussy flowers (not roses) and tickets to an event you can go to together -- concert, community theater, whatever. This tells her you are serious about the relationship (future date) without going OTT.

hhmm now I am filled with doubts. I have been dating someone for 2 months and I had no intention of buying him something as in a gift. I thought Valentine was about flowers, chocolate, cards and sexy lingerie.

Oh no Gaeta!

V day is for the boys too!!! Its fun to spoil them! :D

• Like 1

This should have been the year you spent V-Day in Otter. What the hell are you doing out there carousing? You just got out of the trauma center. :p

(Seriously.)

• Like 1

Try to find the middle ground. I mean... champaign and chocolate are ok, but.. not just expensive, a bit standard, too, no? Try a nice experience - like take her out to a cool live concert, have a glass of champaign together at the venue and buy her a rose. Maybe a box of chocolate. To me, it's so much cooler to share stuff and experiences together.

Otter... jen's right. this is going reaaallyyyy fast. Cooking for your friends? Asking you for your shirt size? It sounds like a bit of pressure to me, I dunno...

I know it's hard to establish the pace, but.... why don't you plan a nice date outside instead of focusing on getting her material stuff? It sounds a bit like a competition, between you too, with all those gifts and attention. Just... take it easy, ya know?

Oh no Gaeta!

V day is for the boys too!!! Its fun to spoil them! :D

I wonder which would be the most appreciated from a man

1. A sweater

2. Being welcomed home by his gf only dressed in high heels and a bow around the neck.

1. A sweater

2. Being welcomed home by his gf only dressed in high heels and a bow around the neck.

fantastic idea, Gaeta... but not really 3rd date material... not at all, actually.

• Like 1

1. A sweater

Funny, I don't wonder about this at all! :laugh::laugh: