Moving from one big city to another?

mattam

Has anyone moved from a populated area to another populated area ( I mean like not moving from a small farm town to a big city or the other way around) and seen a big change in their dating life? Like moving from Denver to Austin?

100%.

The demographics change, the style changes, the culture changes.

These have profound impacts on how you fit in to an area (or don't).

Yes, demographics do change a lot. Not sure if you are a man or a woman... But there are generally more single men in Denver and Austin than there are in some other large cities.

NYC and Washington DC for instance. More women than men.

I can vouch for the fact that there are many more single men in the Seattle area than in the NE.... So when I was looking for someplace to move, I made sure the demographics were in my favor.

Me personally, I consider my move to NY after grad school to be one of the biggest mistakes of my life. So glad to be out of there.

Edited by RedRobin

Yes, but I think it was because I changed. If I was moving from a bad job to a better job, I'd want to stay in the new city for a long time, and I'd be more receptive to dating. I think how many people you meet in real life has to do with how happy and active you are. Online dating is totally different.

My brother moved from northern VA to D.C. I don't get why when he could have a better quality of life in nova compared to D.C. everything costs an arm and a leg in D.C.

Yep.

I went from Los Angeles (land of plastic people) to San Francisco.

The hardest part was that the people my age (mid-40s at the time) no longer lived in the city, but the suburbs surrounding it.

So I moved again - to Napa - but all the middle-aged men there were already married.

I did meet someone - finally - who worked in San Francisco but lived 25 miles south of the city. We married and have our beach-centric suburban home with a great city a short distance away.