Confirming dates and insecurities

brokengirl85

Hello all!

I was messaging yesterday night with someone I like for the fist time. I initiated the chat, btw, because I liked his pictures and his profile. He asked me to meet on Sunday, this Sunday, and we set place and time.

Given the fact we didn't even trade names or phone numbers, I messaged him again today something like this:

"Hello! My cell phone number is xxx-xxxx. Please text me prior so I know we're still up for Sunday. Cheers! BrokenGirl (My real name here)

Do you think I sounded too desperate?

Hello all!

I was messaging yesterday night with someone I like for the fist time. I initiated the chat, btw, because I liked his pictures and his profile. He asked me to meet on Sunday, this Sunday, and we set place and time.

Given the fact we didn't even trade names or phone numbers, I messaged him again today something like this:

"Hello! My cell phone number is xxx-xxxx. Please text me prior so I know we're still up for Sunday. Cheers! BrokenGirl (My real name here)

No. In fact it was a good idea, given how people online can flake.

Hello all!

No, it does not sound desperate. You need to know his name and what you're doing in order to meet up, so it behooves you to ask. You're fine, that's very basic info.

What you did was smart. Not desperate.

Desperate would have been sending this message multiple times:

please, please please call me, right now. I can't wait to talk to you if you don't text me back I'll just die. I know we're
so
perfect for each other!! Love, BrokenGirl.

That is desperate.

You are simply being practical. Big difference.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks all ;)

He sent me a message on the site saying he'll message me but he's traveling now to another city. And that he's looking forward to Sunday.

I'll keep you guys posted whether he texts me or not. I hope he does! I hope he wants to meet me :)

• Like 1
  • Author
Not desperate, it made sense to address flakiness.

So you don't know his real name?

Yes, he mentioned his name in his last message, after I mentioned mine.

• Author

It's true that he could just sent he a text instead of keep messaging on the site...but I'm not going too deep on this. He has my number, and he knows what he needs to do if he wants to meet me indeed. Now I just can relax and see what his next steps are...

• Author
Please update!! I am so rooting for you! I hope this works out! :bunny:

Thank you!!! I will. This is my first date since the doctor (for those who hasn't read me before: I dated a "famous" doctor but it was a disaster. I'm sad though, he never got back to me after I said goodbye. Oh well...).

Will you still go out with him if he doesn't text you but he messages you from the website? Why can't he text from another city? Why doesn't he give you his number after you gave him yours? Of course if he texts you, then he'd be making his number known to you. We'll see what he does.

• Author
Will you still go out with him if he doesn't text you but he messages you from the website? Why can't he text from another city? Why doesn't he give you his number after you gave him yours? Of course if he texts you, then he'd be making his number known to you. We'll see what he does.

I was also thinking of this. He messaged me on the dating site instead of just using the info I gave him (my phone number!).

I used to have great expectations with guys, especially the ones I felt we could be a good match. But, as situations tend to get repeated, I started to just have this "meh" attitude that, at least, prevents me to get hurt.

I'll still go out with him if he shows he's interested in meeting me (either messaging me on the dating site or texting me to confirm). Those are the only two scenarios I'll choose to go out with him. If I don't hear from him, I'll assume he lost interest.

• Like 1

Asking him to text you would put him in a difficult spot if he doesn't want to give you his number. If you are ok meeting him without knowing his number, then let him know he can confirm via the website. But try to be safe, ok?

Yes, he mentioned his name in his last message, after I mentioned mine.

But after you gave him your number he did not give you his?

• Like 1
  • Author
But after you gave him your number he did not give you his?

Exactly. He did not share his info. He signed with his real name though.

His failure to give you his number is an inauspicious beginning but we don't know. Maybe his last OLD encounter was a crazy stalker chick who blew up his phone so he's just being cautious. If he shows up & you like him, don't leave that encounter without his number. If he still won't give it, walk away & don't look back.

Exactly. He did not share his info. He signed with his real name though.

Ok, I smell a man that is not 100% single or available or something.

Remember to not put any hope in a man you have not met yet then gone of at least 3 dates with.

• Like 2
  • Author
His failure to give you his number is an inauspicious beginning but we don't know. Maybe his last OLD encounter was a crazy stalker chick who blew up his phone so he's just being cautious. If he shows up & you like him, don't leave that encounter without his number. If he still won't give it, walk away & don't look back.

He mentioned he will text me and that he was looking forward to Sunday (tomorrow)

If I don't receive a confirmation of our date, I won't go. And I hope he confirms no later than 4 pm (our date is at 7 pm)...

• Like 1
  • Author
Ok, I smell a man that is not 100% single or available or something.

Remember to not put any hope in a man you have not met yet then gone of at least 3 dates with.

Ugh gaeta :( I have to agree, it doesn't look good if he hasn't shared his number and/or texted me already.

I have no expectations right now, but I hope it turns out right...

• Like 1

Gee I hope I haven't started all this doubt with my posts. The thread started out so positive about this guy. :(

I hope it works out for you either way. Take a chance, not a risk.

• Author
No because it's crazy to meet someone face to face without having their name and contact number. To me he is the one who sounds desperate by suggesting a meet so quickly and not even trying to ask your name.

He actually wanted to meet that same day, but I kindly refused because it was a Thursday at 10 pm. We live extremely close to each other, maybe 5 minutes apart.

I'd give him a chance to follow up with a text before the date, as he said he'd do. If he doesn't, I wouldn't go.

With my current BF, we messaged back and forth for a while via OLD before texting and meeting. He sent me his cell # in a message, and I responded via OLD messaging that I would text him during the week. I did text him a couple days later. It wasn't me blowing him off or that I had someone else, I was just busy with work and my life and that was how it went.

Good luck, OP! Let us know how it goes!

He actually wanted to meet that same day, but I kindly refused because it was a Thursday at 10 pm. We live extremely close to each other, maybe 5 minutes apart.

That's bad news Brokengirl.

Don't be surprise if you don't hear from him and the date does not happen.

Any decent man would not ask a woman to leave her home at 10pm to meet a stranger even if they are 5 minutes away.

• Like 3
  • Author

At this point I have zero expectations he'll contact me tomorrow. However, until what time will be acceptable to accept his text/message confirmation?

Our date was supposedly at 7 pm.

Thank you guys!