got girl's number, replied once and didn't get any more response

my03

Hey guys, there is a cute thai girl that works at the thai take away in the food court that my colleagues and I go to for lunch every friday.

Anyway yesterday when I was leaving I asked what her name was and what she was doing on the weekend and if she wanted to go grab a drink. She said yes and I got her number.

Her english isn't very good but after a few hours of getting her number I sent her a text saying "hey it's gavin this is my number" she replied back saying "Hi Gavin, nice to meet you :)"

I then sent her a message saying "Nice to meet you too, what time do you wanna meet up tomorrow" and its been a day and no reply.

Did I get brushed? I didn't text back after that I don't wanna seem desperate.

Do you guys just think I should leave it? Maybe mention it next Friday? if so, what should I say.

Thanks guys

Hey guys, there is a cute thai girl that works at the thai take away in the food court that my colleagues and I go to for lunch every friday.

Anyway yesterday when I was leaving I asked what her name was and what she was doing on the weekend and if she wanted to go grab a drink. She said yes and I got her number.

Her english isn't very good but after a few hours of getting her number I sent her a text saying "hey it's gavin this is my number" she replied back saying "Hi Gavin, nice to meet you :)"

I then sent her a message saying "Nice to meet you too, what time do you wanna meet up tomorrow" and its been a day and no reply.

Do you guys just think I should leave it? Maybe mention it next Friday? if so, what should I say.

Thanks guys

Too vague, should of explicitly mentioned date in my opinion when you asked her out, but she probably knew that anyway.

Should of waited a bit longer before messaging her, maybe a day or two after getting her number.

Should of then proceeded to say "Hey it's Gavin, we met at the Thai Takeaway place, I was wondering if you fancied grabbing a drink sometime ?' When she says yes, then say "When are you free?"-- She probably felt a bit forced into it when you said "what time do you want to meet tomorrow", she might have already had plans despite what she said initially so this is why you need to ask them when they're free, then suggest a time/date.

There's also the chance she just said yes and gave you her number because she didn't want to turn you down to your face.

Wait a few days maybe and ask When she is free and if she fancies getting together at some point for a coffee or whatever. If no reply within 24 hours then she aint interested, humans are always on their phones.

Edited by Xiomn
  • Like 1
  • Author

Thanks, do you think it'll be better to just mention it the next time I go there to eat? Maybe just ask if she got my message?

Maybe you're right about being too straight up asking what time to meet up I thought it was just a continuation of the convo we had about going for a drink tomorrow.

Thanks, do you think it'll be better to just mention it the next time I go there to eat? Maybe just ask if she got my message?

Maybe you're right about being too straight up asking what time to meet up I thought it was just a continuation of the convo we had about going for a drink tomorrow.

Don't do this, it looks needy. Blank this conversation out of your mind and start fresh in a couple of days.

• Like 2
Don't do this, it looks needy. Blank this conversation out of your mind and start fresh in a couple of days.

Agree with this.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Try this, either if you see her again and want to try, or next time.

Always have a place in mind that you like that would make nice date place.

"Would you like to have a drink at (place) after you get off work (day you choose)?"

If she says no or she doesn't know, ask her if another time would work better for her.

THEN if she waffles, you know she's not interested.

I figured that men who didn't have anything specific in mind were either blah about me or wanted to be led.

Try this, either if you see her again and want to try, or next time.

Always have a place in mind that you like that would make nice date place.

"Would you like to have a drink at (place) after you get off work (day you choose)?"

If she says no or she doesn't know, ask her if another time would work better for her.

THEN if she waffles, you know she's not interested.

I figured that men who didn't have anything specific in mind were either blah about me or wanted to be led.

Yes, always be specific. Be decisive. If I can't make it but still want to meet a guy I will let him know.

Get to know her more first. Try to initiate conversation. Then ask her out again. If she evades, you'll know she's not into it.

She might not even be single, for all you know.

• Like 1
Get to know her more first. Try to initiate conversation. Then ask her out again. If she evades, you'll know she's not into it.

She might not even be single, for all you know.

I agree the text sounded kind of aggressive which is why I think he should call

I agree the text sounded kind of aggressive which is why I think he should call

Nobody makes calls anymore unless it's for some kind of business or family. Calling vs texting has no bearing on getting dates. I'm tired of seeing that bit of advice on these boards. I was having lunch with my friend the other day and she said she doesn't like to talk on the phone.

Nobody makes calls anymore unless it's for some kind of business or family. Calling vs texting has no bearing on getting dates. I'm tired of seeing that bit of advice on these boards. I was having lunch with my friend the other day and she said she doesn't like to talk on the phone.

Not true, I met someone online tonight and called and we chatted for 40 mins

• Like 2

Like some others have said, you went in for the kill way too soon. Sounds like she barely knew you. Just because she agreed to a drink in person doesn't mean you gotta rush it. The texting stuff is there for you two to ease the tension and joke around so when you actually do meet it won't be awkward. I'd say it merits at least a day or 2 of getting familiar before you can say "hey do you want to grab a drink tomorrow?" Even though she already said yes before, you should still treat it like you're asking again.

I have a slightly different take.

I'm a university lecturer in an Asian country. My students' ages range from 18-25.

They'll often talk about their personal lives with me, especially regarding their dealings with foreigners.

A few months ago, a European guy asked one of my younger female students out at the restaurant she's a waitress at.

He asked for her number and she didn't want to insult him by saying that she didn't give her number to just anyone. Her English is also not good enough to fully express herself.

He ended up texting her and she replied but she wasn't comfortable with the conversation. Again, she didn't want to misinterpret the conversation so she came to show me the messages and asked if it was OK if she didn't continue with it. Would it be rude?

Given the tone of his messages, I assured her it was fine to not take it further as he was being inappropriate. Not saying that you were being inappropriate but it could be that she didn't want to say no to your face, or it could be that she does not feel confident enough to carry on too long of a conversation with you just yet.

Maybe ask her once more but if it doesn't work out that time, move on.

Good luck :)

I have a slightly different take.

I'm a university lecturer in an Asian country. My students' ages range from 18-25.

They'll often talk about their personal lives with me, especially regarding their dealings with foreigners.

A few months ago, a European guy asked one of my younger female students out at the restaurant she's a waitress at.

He asked for her number and she didn't want to insult him by saying that she didn't give her number to just anyone. Her English is also not good enough to fully express herself.

He ended up texting her and she replied but she wasn't comfortable with the conversation. Again, she didn't want to misinterpret the conversation so she came to show me the messages and asked if it was OK if she didn't continue with it. Would it be rude?

Given the tone of his messages, I assured her it was fine to not take it further as he was being inappropriate. Not saying that you were being inappropriate but it could be that she didn't want to say no to your face, or it could be that she does not feel confident enough to carry on too long of a conversation with you just yet.

Maybe ask her once more but if it doesn't work out that time, move on.

Good luck :)

And women can't give fake numbers like they could in the past because the guy can check it right there lol So I can understand a woman giving a number just to be polite

I don't necessarily think you have to talk a bit before asking them out either..I don't have very much experience at all but the first time I asked a girl out I just walked up to her asked her name, said I thought she was pretty cute and if I could get her number. A day or 2 later I tried to give her a call but she didn't answer so left a text message instead seeing if she was up for getting together for a drink and she said yes and dating ensued without any prior discussion beforehand. That said someone else might find it more comfortable to get to know someone a bit better beforehand.

It felt a bit strong wanting to meet up with her right away. You asked her on the spot, you got her number. When you texted her, it gave her time to pause and think. Cool the jets a bit and regroup. Talk her up a little bit more then suggest again meeting for a drink.