Is it weird to be attracted to someone with an average face?

Billy Bob 2000

Wow... Different people find different things attractive. You find her attractive so really is this something you need to analyze?? Who cares go for it.

At the same time the way you worded this post makes it seem like you think you're too good for her. And are overly superficial. I think she deserves someone who thinks more than her body and personality make up for her face...

• Like 5
I like a woman who's face is just average looking but am attracted to her personality and also think her body makes up for it, is this normal? :confused:

No. Not at all I think you need therapy. Sounds like your narcissism is failing. ALL men should ONLY be attracted to women who are in the small minority in terms of attractiveness. The others are just there to make up the numbers. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

When you say average, what do you mean numerically? 5, 7? What's the standard deviation when compared with other women you've dated? I need more data in order to compute your relative normaility :laugh:

Seriously... look at the whole package and date who you like!

• Like 2
Actually, I use to think she was too good for me.

Well I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. Just go for it but only if you can get over her average face. She is far too good to be dating someone who feels that way about her.

• Like 2
  • Author
Billy Bob 2000
Well I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. Just go for it but only if you can get over her average face. She is far too good to be dating someone who feels that way about her.

Maybe it's just the artifical standard by the media that was drilled into my head when I was younger that made me ask this.

I have an average face. I have several pics up in my profile to prove how average I am.

My boyfriend thinks I'm beautiful. He tells me every day! Literally!

He has my face as his phone screeb saver.

And.... *shock horror *.... guess what else? I've ALWAYS had men that find me attractive!

Despite being *average * in the face, I have NEVER found it hard to date. I've never been hard pressed for options.

Yep you heard it from me! AVERAGE women don't necessarily find it difficult to find men who consider them attractive!

Amazing isn't it.

You also need to leave this poor girl alone. She deserves someone who doesn't think she's just average.

My boyfriend just thought I was good looking because HE had love goggles on!

NO "average "woman deserves a partner who feels "oh well, she's just average girl but I love her anyway ":rolleyes:

This is when affairs happen; men fall in love differently to women. Men NEED to be enamoured by a woman and smitten by her looks in order to fall head over heels in love. Where as women can grow to like a man she initially wasn't thrilled with.

• Like 1
  • Author
Billy Bob 2000

NO "average "woman deserves a partner who feels "oh well, she's just average girl but I love her anyway

They don't? I guess love is more shallow than I thought...

I wonder what's up with the women who claim they aren't physically attracted to their boyfriend but love them anyway.

Edited by Billy Bob 2000
compulsivedancer

In college, I had a roommate who started dating a girl that was plainer than girls he had dated previously. He felt weird about it, but he really liked her and he thought her "broken" nose was really cute. They have been married for eight or so years and have been together over a decade.

Personally, I thought she was a breath of fresh air after the orange sorority girls he dated before. I'm glad he listened to his own feelings on the subject instead of caving to the perceived judgments of society or his friends.

• Like 8
  • Author
Billy Bob 2000
In college, I had a roommate who started dating a girl that was plainer than girls he had dated previously. He felt weird about it, but he really liked her and he thought her "broken" nose was really cute. They have been married for eight or so years and have been together over a decade.

Personally, I thought she was a breath of fresh air after the orange sorority girls he dated before. I'm glad he listened to his own feelings on the subject instead of caving to the perceived judgments of society or his friends.

Finally, an answer I can get behind.

• Like 1

Looks aren't all the important, and if you find her attractive what else matters?

I used to focus on the hottest women, and I've dated some truly gorgeous women. The relationships that were the best, where I was happiest, were never with them but with the more "average" women.

• Like 3

Is it normal? What kind of question is that?

The question you should be asking yourself is what are you looking for? A one night stand with an "attractive" face or a relationship with someone you have similar things in common. Only you can answer that.

The thing is, I am average facially but my boyfriend never THOUGHT " meh, she's average

My bf was very attracted to me and be thought I was good looking.

Average girls deserve a man who's enamoured with their looks.

Average girls like me can find men who do think we are gorgeous.

I would never date a guy who thought "well, I've dated gorgeous girls before and although Leigh is not gorgeous, I am into her anyway "

I feel sorry for her.

Just because I am average, I'd never date a guy who felt "weird"about dating me.....

Do you not understand that with amazing chemistry, men can find average girls to be gorgeous?

It doesn't have to start out like this. The average girl that the OP deems "average "is NOT average to everyone; there are men who will think she's beautiful and gorgous.

She deserves that. I only dated men who thought I was gorgous, not average (despite the fact that I'm average to the vast majority )

Billy Barnett
The thing is, I am average facially but my boyfriend never THOUGHT " meh, she's average

I would never date a guy who thought "well, I've dated gorgeous girls before and although Leigh is not gorgeous, I am into her anyway "

Then you wouldn't be someone I would date. Love is more than just physical, sorry you don't see it that way.

Edited by Billy Barnett
Then you wouldn't be someone I would date. Love is more than just physical, sorry you don't see it that way.

But I have no problem finding guys who think I'm attractive.

So it has never even occurred to me to have to settlefor a guy who isn't enamoured with my looks.

I have never personally had to settle for compatability without a super strong attraction from my exes......

And I'm just average. .......

And I know love is more than just physical. ....

I just don't believe I personally have to settle for less than the full package.

So despite being average like your partner, I have NEVER eveb contemplated settling for less than a man who didn't find me gorgeous AND who was also highly compatible with ne on all key levels..........

I think some of you guys are overreacting to the OP's post. His comment is legit even if perhaps worded not to someone liking?

Although there is scientific evidence that certain characteristics make a man or woman "attractive," many people wind up with people who we wouldn't necessarily find attractive if we were walking down the street.

The OP was very candid and I find that refreshing to be honest. I encourage that kind of openness on this message board.

Personally I'm no longer attracted to pretty boys. I like masculine, rugged guys. 15 years ago if I ran across my man I have now I wouldn't even give him a second thought because I had an ideal of what the perfect face would look like to me. I fell in love with his demeanor, stubble, toothy boyish grin, "I don't give a F attitude," the way he loves his family, his respect of hospitality service staff members when we go out and the way he loves his dog.

I work with a lot of very handsome men but I'm not into any of them. I'm sure my guy runs into other guys way hotter than me if he were to compare me to to them trait by trait but he tells me everyday that I'm sexy flaws and all. One could say that my man isn't classically as handsome as some of the guys women swoon over on TV but to me he is very sexy and all the man I need. It took me till I reached my 30's to realize how I could fall in love with someone for reasons other than physical beauty; and it's a completely liberating and amazing feeling.

• Like 4
I like a woman who's face is just average looking but am attracted to her personality and also think her body makes up for it, is this normal? :confused:

I am curious....why are you questioning whether it's normal or not?

What an odd thing to be confused about.

Why wouldn't it be normal for heaven's sake?

So in your world, it's not normal to be attracted to someone unless that person is above-average looking?

I hate the word normal anyway. Does anyone know what normal is?

One person's trash is another person's treasure (so to speak).

You like who you like... that is what is normal to you.

Edited by katiegrl
  • Like 1

I get it Leigh. The way he feels about you.... his attraction to you (which goes beyond looks)... causes him to see you differently....from perhaps another man who was not attracted to you. HE sees you as gorgeous because of the way HE feels about you....and how attracted he is to you!

Attraction to someone (which goes deeper than mere physical appearance) can cause an otherwise average looking person (by society's standards which I hate anyway) into the most beautiful person in the world!

So I guess to answer the OP's question, YES it's normal to be attracted to all sorts of people, whether they're below average, average, above-average, drop dead gorgeous or somewhere in between.

It is all how you feel about that person...THAT is all that matters.

P.S. Leigh.... I love your shorter hair! :)

Edited by katiegrl
  • Like 1
compulsivedancer
I feel sorry for her.

Just because I am average, I'd never date a guy who felt "weird"about dating me.....

Do you not understand that with amazing chemistry, men can find average girls to be gorgeous?

It doesn't have to start out like this. The average girl that the OP deems "average "is NOT average to everyone; there are men who will think she's beautiful and gorgous.

She deserves that. I only dated men who thought I was gorgous, not average (despite the fact that I'm average to the vast majority )

It's been about 10 years now, so I don't really remember the context, whether HE found her average or whether he had friends who commented that she wasn't as hot, or if he was trying to gauge my reaction and see whether I thought she was plain.

I got the feeling that objectively he thought she would be judged lower on the attractiveness scale than previous girls he dated, but something about her spoke to him. For instance, he loved her "flaw" (her nose). I imagine she was quite attractive to him, and he was more worried about what other people thought. (Remember, he was about 21 and still fairly immature).

From a non-physical standpoint, she was far more grounded and likeable than the other girls he dated. I'm not surprised that she was long-term material. I just think that he was surprised to find his tastes changing as he, well, essentially became an adult!

I don't feel sorry for her at all. She found the right guy and he found the right girl. They seem to work well together, and so far their relationship has stood the test of time.

• Like 1

Well for me I think "let's get real about this". I know I am average looking (even more so now since I've put on a little weight). I don't expect any man to think I'm the most beautiful woman he's ever seen because that's not going to happen. However I would like a man who really has love goggles on so thinks I'm awesome even though objectively I'm not that great. I wouldn't want him to be looking around for a better model.

Same as I don't expect him to be the most handsome man I've ever seen. But that's not really what I go for when it comes to men. I met a very attractive guy just last weekend but he didn't do it for me because I found his personality was a turn off. It's a best of both worlds kind of thing. But I don't live in a fantasy world. I accept how I look now and it makes me comfortable in who I am and more accepting of different people.

So no, it's not weird to be attracted to someone with an average face. If you look under the surface, most people are pretty average. It's all about presentation, dressing well and having confidence and a good attitude. I think this helps to attract both men and women.

• Like 1

The point I am trying to make is...

Yes it is normal to fall for average people; very few people land true knock outs and gorgous people.

However, when the * chemistry * is intense, and there is an undeniable spark. ..fireworks even. .......then they don't see you as average.

You may not all believe me especially based on my *plain Jane * pics. But make no mistake, despite my average looks, I HAVE had MANY men that thought I was stunning.

Average girls like me CAN and DO get men who are all googly eyed over them. These men DO NOT view these women as "average faces"

Do you see what I am saying? The OPs girl i average. So are the rest of us! Yet many of us average gals indeed have men who NEVER actually viewed us in that light.