How would you respond to a one word text?

MissLY

I've been on two dates with this guy and its been going really well. He's shown interest and we have a good time together. He asked me out on a third date earlier this week, but I was unable to go.

Last night he asked me how my Thanksgiving was and I responded today saying "it was definitely one for the books! Still recovering. How was yours?" He responded a few hours later with "very cool" and that's it. Nothing else.

I know most people would say just let it go, but part of me really wants to text back with "sorry I asked" or "ok..." or something. I just find it strange that he couldn't answer my question. It does not seem like him.

Thoughts?

He probably thinks you aren't really into him.

When's the next date planned for?

Since you were unable to go on the third date he asked you on and apparently didn't offer an alternative date/time, he's probably distancing himself from you because of (in his mind) your lack of interest.

• Like 3
I've been on two dates with this guy and its been going really well. He's shown interest and we have a good time together. He asked me out on a third date earlier this week, but I was unable to go.

Last night he asked me how my Thanksgiving was and I responded today saying "it was definitely one for the books! Still recovering. How was yours?" He responded a few hours later with "very cool" and that's it. Nothing else.

I know most people would say just let it go, but part of me really wants to text back with "sorry I asked" or "ok..." or something. I just find it strange that he couldn't answer my question. It does not seem like him.

Thoughts?

Don't do this. It's passive aggressive and won't accomplish anything.

I'm a woman too and we tend to be wordy texters, while many men are much simpler with words that way. You say he didn't answer your question - but he did. Just not in the way you may have expected. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Were you able to arrange another time to meet, after you couldn't make it last time? I woudn't stress just yet. You could try getting in touch with him again tomorrow and suggesting a different time and place to meet.

• Like 4

He asked you out, and answered your question. Yeah it was short, but you also didn't really go into detail with your reply about Thanksgiving.

I don't really see a problem with his message. Could just be a guy thing, I can see myself sending something like that.

• Like 1

If it was me I would write something completely crazy and outrageous to see what he says, ha ha :laugh:

Why would you write back a passive aggressive message when he answered your question fine? I really don't get the problem. Is there more to this or something?

• Like 3

Yeah. I'm pretty brief when it comes to texting. Although I usually just call and have an actual conversation... Doesn't leave room for these akward "what does this mean?" moments. Texting definitely is a big part of dating for some people now though.

Call him and make that the usual form of communication for a while. Clears the air much quicker... On behalf of all guys, I'm sorry he didn't call you and you just ended up with dry text msgs...

Thoughts?

Go ahead if you want to make him feel bad and always wonder if the relationship is one text away from being destroyed.

Seriously, don't introduce drama this early into a relationship.

• Like 2

I try to reserve text messages for brief reminders to business partners and such... You get so much more accomplished by just "talking"

• Like 2

Thoughts?

When you said you couldn't do the 3rd date did you suggest another day? He might think you're not interested.

In response to " very cool" you could say something like nice! What happened? Or just ask some question for him to elaborate.

If you didn't suggest and alternative day for the 3rd date you could reply something like nice! So I know date x didn't work for me but are you free on X-day?

Edited by ThisisIt606
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Author

Update.

He ended up calling and we talked for a bit. Then he asked "when am I gonna see you again? I really enjoy getting to know you. I'd like to hear from you more."

Just so you know, we've had two dates and he asked me out on a third, but I couldn't make it.

Shouldn't guys be doing all of the initiating in the beginning stages of dating? Or does every man work differently? I'm only asking because I usually expect the man to initiate everything until the relationship reaches a more solid stage.

What do you guys think?

Shouldn't guys be doing all of the initiating in the beginning stages of dating? Or does every man work differently? I'm only asking because I usually expect the man to initiate everything until the relationship reaches a more solid stage.

What do you guys think?

Every man works differently. Using myself as an example, if I'm dating multiple women, the women who participate more in the beginning stages has a much better chance than the women who expect me to do everything.
Shouldn't guys be doing all of the initiating in the beginning stages of dating? Or does every man work differently? What do you guys think?

Considering that you couldn't make the 3rd date, it's on you to make the next date plan.

Guys work differently, but they do appreciate when a woman actually shows her interest.

With you not making plans for a 3rd date, he is questioning if you're actually interested in him.

Show him that you're interested in him.

• Like 4
Update.

He ended up calling and we talked for a bit. Then he asked "when am I gonna see you again? I really enjoy getting to know you. I'd like to hear from you more."

Just so you know, we've had two dates and he asked me out on a third, but I couldn't make it.

What do you guys think?

Sure yeah he should be doing all the initiating. All the texting. You should never have to text him first. Ever.

And every text from him must be an elequent and original work of art..

If he asks you on 10 dates and you decline without giving him another option he should ask you for an 11th.

Just saying he realy wants to see you isn't enough. Don't help him in any way, and don't suggest you might like to see him. He is the man after all. He should do all initiating.

You should not have to a single thing to progress this because you are a woman.

• Like 7
Update.

What do you guys think?

This guy just said he'd like to hear from you more. You're going to sit back and wait for him to fall at your feet, and in a week or two you'll be here wondering why he "ghosted" on you.

Seriously. You can call him too. CALL. Not text.

• Like 2
Update.

What do you guys think?

Between over reacting to his text and wanting a guy to do all the work, you do sound rather high maintenance. If you like him, I suggest you show a little enthusiasm in return - and don't get all snippy about a single text.

• Like 4
  • Author

Just wanted to post an update on my situation.

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting, but this guy is definitely sending mixed signals. For instance, he'll say things like "I'll always make time for you" and "I wanna hear from you more" but I'm still feeling weird, distant energy on his end. We talked over the weekend about meeting for dinner on tues or wed. So I followed up with him this morning and asked "when are we meeting for dinner this week?" He told me "I'll let you know later today. Can't wait to see you." It is now 10pm and he hasn't said anything. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. He says one thing, but his actions tell me otherwise.

I really wanna tell him I made other plans once he does get back to me... But another part of me also wants to call him out on his behavior when we meet for dinner.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Trust his ACTIONS not his WORDS.

This is not a guy who is interested in a relationship with you. I get being busy, but you talked to him over the weekend and then followed up with him this morning and STILL nothing officially set for this week.

I think when you didn't follow up with him by setting an alternative date for that 3rd date you couldn't do, he became uninterested in you.

Make other plans.

Edited by TunaCat
  • Like 3
  • Author
Trust his ACTIONS not his WORDS.

This is not a guy who is interested in a relationship with you. I get being busy, but you talked to him over the weekend and then followed up with him this morning and STILL nothing officially set for this week.

I think when you didn't follow up with him by setting an alternative date for that 3rd date you couldn't do, he became uninterested in you.

Make other plans.

You're definitely right. Funny enough, he showed this kind of behavior even in the beginning, I just kind of brushed it off at the time. For example, He asked me out to brunch for the 2nd date and said he'd let me know when/where we would go, but he never followed up. *I* was the one that had to follow up the morning OF brunch to see if it was still happening. He answered "yes it is!" to my surprise. That was a mini red flag right there.

One more thing. Once he does get back to me, should I tell him I made other plans, or just ignore him completely?

You're definitely right. Funny enough, he showed this kind of behavior even in the beginning, I just kind of brushed it off at the time. For example, He asked me out to brunch for the 2nd date and said he'd let me know when/where we would go, but he never followed up. *I* was the one that had to follow up the morning OF brunch to see if it was still happening. He answered "yes it is!" to my surprise. That was a mini red flag right there.

One more thing. Once he does get back to me, should I tell him I made other plans, or just ignore him completely?

Stop playing games, OP. This kind of mentality is juvenile.

If you want to see him, go. You can talk about it in person. Not via text, not through a phone call. Simply explain that you feel a little confused and hope he can clarify for you.

But pretending your're busy or outright ignoring him is highschool silliness. It won't get you what you want.

• Like 5

Well, if he sends a one word text he is either uninterested in you or he is too busy to write more, or doesn't want to at the moment or whatever. The solution is always the same: don't respond and wait for him to reopen conversation.

Well, if he sends a one word text he is either uninterested in you or he is too busy to write more, or doesn't want to at the moment or whatever. The solution is always the same: don't respond and wait for him to reopen conversation, because that's when he will have time, and when he does just ask him to make plans for a next date, because you're the one that cancelled last time.

I don't understand why his answer was a problem. Leave it alone and move on. Start a different conversation or wait for him to text again.