Girl im dating has a progressive disease

SethDamien

I know every guy say this---but she's the most amazing girl.

she's the prettiest i've known, the most calm, reserved and

mature in attitude. She's perfect in every way possible...

We've had couple of dates and im this close to telling her that i love her.

But she has very mild scoliosis... Its hardly noticeable. When i first met her,

she had a good posture. Even after telling me, i still couldn't see it,

and i never see her having difficulty in walking. She's totally normal

on the outside.

When i looked up scoliosis, i realize its a progressive chronic disorder with

no known cure (except expensive and risky surgery), and can only

worsen with age. it can be slowed though.

She's only 21 and upon knowing her condition, it just made me want to

stick with her more. The morning after our date as i woke up, I was

crying profusely. It was the first time i ever done such a thing for

someone i just met for a few weeks... I am concerned but i am

determined to see her through this...

it's just been very confusing.

I fear for her health, condition, and ultimately, her life,

but my feelings for her is already established, i want to be with her.

• Like 1
DivorcedDad123

Don't sweat it. My gf is 48 and has severe scoliosis. So bad in her younger years that her rib touched her pelvis when sitting. She has a metal rod in her back,and although it limits her mobility somewhat,she does everything everyone else does and was a cheerleader in college. She had the surgery at 16 and the technology today is much better. Her niece has it and after surgery, her back was straight as an arrow.

Your gf has a full, happy life ahead of her.

Her's is mild and she's done growing; it's 99% likely that it's not going to get any worse. Most mild and even moderate cases stop progressing when the person stops growing. She's going to be fine! Please be careful what you read on the internet about medicine. Dr. Google as we call it can be terrifying and very inaccurate. Relax, bud :)

A friend of my husband had the surgery over 30 years ago and he is doing just fine. All surgeries are risky but they have had plenty of success with this one. It has to get real bad before they will offer surgery to stop the progression. Usually between the age of 9 to 15 years of age is where it is determined the extent of the disease. Like the other poster said, she's done growing, so it's unlikely it's going to progress. She might see issues when she hits middle age, with Osteoporosis.

I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis also in middle school. I'm in my early 30s and aside from some occasional back pain that mostly goes away with Ib profin, I'm doing fine. There are exercises and things that she can do to help her out. Like one poster said if she's done growing there's a good chance that it will stay mild and not affect her lifestyle so much. You are really sweet for caring so much and caring to do your own research. Good Luck!!