V-day, the horrid "couple" holiday... I'm not a couple?!

Question ... I met a guy 2 months ago we were talking on a daily basis for the first couple weeks, he mentioned that he's newly out of a relationship. It ended on good terms and only due to relocating and not wanting a LDR. I immediately assumed I should back off, but I didn't fully. However the calls have been few and far between. (On a side note there were many things that played into that... such as holidays)...

I've seen him a few times since he told me about the just ended RS. We still kiss passionately and he seems affectionate towards me - however I've done most of initiating the calls and such. A few weeks ago I decided I was done and needed to give him space to sort things out... would keep things light if we talked etc. But I felt like I was doing most of the chasing, assumed he was not into me (becuase of his situation) and thought I should move on...

Since that time, he's initiated contact with me and has asked to see me. Kissing, hand holding and flirting are still taking place when we see eachother. I've not slept with him, none of our clothes have come off it seems as though we do like being around eachother, we like kissing but are taking things slow. It's fine with me because I won't sleep with someone unless they are committed to me and only me.

So here's my question... Valentines day is coming up and I'm wondering - what if he does not ask to see me on Vday? or at least give me a card or some guesture? I know V-day is really for couples - I know also that I'm thinking way tooo much and need to stop.

And the reverse... should I give him a card or a lil something? If so what? Any advice would be appreciated...

Cautious optimism. Get him a funny V day card, something he'll laugh at. Save the flowery prose for when he's willing to come out and say he likes you and wants to be with you. Don't expect anything from him. That way if he sends you something, you'll be pleasantly surprised. But if he doesn't your hopes won't be dashed.