Boyfriend's family ?

CatcherintheRye

CatcherintheRye

Okay, I'm back with a new question.

Boyfriend's family.

First of all, I like his family. They're nice, they happily include me in their get togethers and last Christmas they even got me a gift. It was cute.

However, I come from a small family who both have large dysfunctional families so basically, it's just us. From the very beginning I out relationship I was completely submersed in his family. A sink or swim sort of deal. I did okay, but I'm still having trouble keeping my language in check because they're very Mormon.

Anyway, the first problem I'm having is that for EVERY. SINGLE. HOLIDAY. And sometimes things that don't even count as holidays. (Hell, they probably did something for Columbus Day) they have a get together. Being introverted and having huge anxiety about social interactions, it drains me. But I feel guilty saying no because they all text my boyfriend asking him where he is if we don't. Boyfriend doesn't mind is not going to all the things they do, but I'm worried that he'll resent me for not wanting to be at every little thing they do like they expect him to be (and he has been.)

I'm probably thinking too far in the future, but what if sometime down the road they think I'm trying to take him away! I just want to spend time with my family right now and, if the time comes, make our own traditions.

• Author
CatcherintheRye

Second problem is his sister.

He's only got one sibling: her. She apparently tells him how much she likes me when I'm not around, but when I am, she makes no effort to talk to me.

I've tried to engage her in small talk, I've tried to have conversations with her mom and make sure to look her dead in the eye when I'm talking and she's standing near so she knows she's included, but I get nothing.

She will answer/talk to my boyfriend instead of talking directly to me.

Last two get togethers she kept blurting out "but you love me more" when her uncle and I are joking with each other about us being so in sync.

Now she's having a baby, and I'm getting anxious thinking about how much she'll be around/how much I'll have to be around her because my bf will probably want to me.

Usually when people don't like me I just ignore them, but how do I deal with HER? Thinking into the future, I get worried she's going to be an issue.

Stake out some me time at these get togethers I took the family dog for a walk the other day at DH's aunt's house. If they serve Coke, decide you want Pepsi & run out to the store to get what's missing. Take a separate car from your BF so you can arrive late & leave early.

Decide you have plans the day of sis's shower. Send a nice gift