single dads can be kind of off putting

RoseWater

As a woman in her 30s some of the guys I've dated have had children. It feels like they fall into one of two camps. There are the fathers who are involved and responsible but who clearly have a life (as in career, a love life, personal time etc) beyond just being a father. These types of guys are great to date. I dated one man in this category who had sole custody of his teenage son. He was proud of his son and they have a strong bond but at the same time they both have their own lives.

The second category is the single dad whose entire life revolves around being a father. I was approached by one of these today. The very first thing he said is "my son is my heart and soul!" and his profile pics ALL include his son in the photos. A person like this is not suitable for a relationship.

• Like 3
As a woman in her 30s some of the guys I've dated have had children. It feels like they fall into one of two camps. There are the fathers who are involved and responsible but who clearly have a life (as in career, a love life, personal time etc) beyond just being a father. These types of guys are great to date. I dated one man in this category who had sole custody of his teenage son. He was proud of his son and they have a strong bond but at the same time they both have their own lives.

The second category is the single dad whose entire life revolves around being a father. I was approached by one of these today. The very first thing he said is "my son is my heart and soul!" and his profile pics ALL include his son in the photos. A person like this is not suitable for a relationship.

Disagree !

Sounds like a proud father , if he had said my sons an ass I hate him , he still wouldn't have won

Don't judge a book by its cover , every guy is different and a few minutes chatting doesn't tell it all

People do have preferences and I understand that , but better to have a loving father than a looser who won't see him

Ehn. That's quite the sweeping generalization. Augment this sentence and say, "A person like this is not suitable for a relationship WITH ME." That is more accurate.

• Like 7

IMO I think the only single dads that are not good match for me are the following:

1. Still hung up and not over the marriage/divorce

2. They have no REAL interest in their kids. They like to act like they do but are perfectly happy to let the ex do all the parenting, don't take the time they are allowed to see their kids, etc.

3. Can't figure out how to make time and juggle their responsibilities

4. Their life is filled with constant drama that takes judges and lawyers to resolve every little thing.

This list doesn't really apply to just dads but this is what I look for when I date people with kids.

• Author
Ehn. That's quite the sweeping generalization. Augment this sentence and say, "A person like this is not suitable for a relationship WITH ME." That is more accurate.

Fair point.

For me having all the profile pics featuring the kid and the first thing they say in their very first message is how their child is their "heart and soul" is very honest but also very off-putting for me personally.

I am sure that if I had a young kid I'd feel the same way about my child and also that certain free (as in childless, unattached) men might not want to date me.

Imagine a dismissive topic like this one but about single moms

• Like 5

So for doting on their children your basically saying these dads make unsuitable partners? Do I detect a hint of jealousy?

• Author
So for doting on their children your basically saying these dads make unsuitable partners? Do I detect a hint of jealousy?

No. It's not possible to be jealous of the child of some guy you once exchanged one online message with

• Author
I personally would never consider dating someone with kids from a previous relationship. That's serious baggage.

I'm ok with it if the child is a teen or grown up and they are not the guy's entire life

• Like 2
No. It's not possible to be jealous of the child of some guy you once exchanged one online message with

So why is he unsuitable?

I couldn't date a guy with kids. But I'm in my early twenties. My opinion would be different with more life experience, I am sure of it.

If we are being honest, I think her findings are similar to what I have seen with single moms. I have met many of moms who have absolutely zero interests, hobbies, or even life outside of their children. While it is admirable that they focus so much of their time and effort to being a great parent, that doesn't mean they are fun to date.

Which MAY be the case (hell, I would not personally date someone whose whole life revolves around kids, either), but that doesn't mean OP need generalize and say that ALL men who have such mindsets are unfit for dating. SHE may be turned off, but not EVERYONE will be.

• Author
So why is he unsuitable?

because his life is completely centred around and focused on his kid. As it should be. But I'm not interested in entering that sort of set-up. I don't think that's unreasonable of me really. I want a guy who can be spontaneous, has no ties etc.

• Like 1

With all due respect, enigma, I disagree. OP literally said, "A person like this is not suitable for a relationship."

What a statement!

Their relationship suitability is practically unknowable, by either us or the OP, since she doesn't actually know the person she's referring to.

My point is NOT that she should feel obligated to date someone like that (I would not either); but there is no need to say that someone who presents themselves in such a way is patently "unsuitable" to be in a relationship, because A) that's untrue, and B) who are we to say?

Sure, find it off-putting and boring—I do, too!—just cut the blanket statements.

Yes, I'm harping and yes I'll stop now. I just happen to think that precise language only enhances discussion. How you say what you say is important.

• Like 4
If we are being honest, I think her findings are similar to what I have seen with single moms. I have met many of moms who have absolutely zero interests, hobbies, or even life outside of their children. While it is admirable that they focus so much of their time and effort to being a great parent, that doesn't mean they are fun to date.

Yeah I was about to write this. I've seen so many profiles where the women immediately go into an essay about how much the kid means to them. That's great and all, but a bit off putting, for a lot of guys.

I've actually dated single moms that loved their kids and still had a life though. They get the balance right.

Regarding the OPs original statement, I disagree that these guys are not ready for a relationship. But I do think that a lot of women would not be able to date a guy like that.

• Like 1

I think it's a great thing for your children to be a huge part of your life. But not your entire life. That is not a good balance.

• Like 1

this also applies to single women with kids

because his life is completely centred around and focused on his kid. As it should be. But I'm not interested in entering that sort of set-up. I don't think that's unreasonable of me really. I want a guy who can be spontaneous, has no ties etc.

They have a filter for that on the dating websites.

I don't even know why this is an issue.

just cut the blanket statements.

Yes, I'm harping and yes I'll stop now. I just happen to think that precise language only enhances discussion. How you say what you say is important.

I've been noticing and pointing this out every once in a while throughout a couple of threads lately. THAT is off-putting.

What is off putting for me is when a man says those things and he's really over emphasizing how important his kids are to him, it makes me feel like he sees himself and his kids united against any newcomer who dares to think she might one day have a place in his life too. When he goes out of his way to make this clear, it sounds like he's giving a warning, and that he thinks women would try to take him away from his kids. Maybe he had such a problem with a previous gf? Would be different if the guy says those things to everyone he meets at work and shows his kids' pictures all the time to strangers, (and some do!), in which case, it's off putting because he's awkward in social behavior. There should be some moderation.

• Like 3

Single (divorced) mom here and even I find it off putting. I mean, we know you love your kids, what parent doesn't? But we're trying to make a connection with each other here, not hear about your love for your kids. Say something else.

• Like 2

Maybe there are some dads out there who think since it's good for them to come off as great dads, they push that image to the max and over-do it.

Say something else.

This made me lol so much.

• Like 2