Using a gift card or coupon on a date.

E-Squared

Does it make a guy look cheap if he uses a coupon or gift card? I understand that it's a standard for guys to pay the tab in full, and then there are times when the people pay for both ends (My parents told me that they did that when things got more serious when they were dating). I am curious about this.

One example from my past dating life was, on either side, matinees and movie coupons/passes. I pay for the date and the lady contributes a coupon for the movie, saving us a few bucks to go towards nibbles. I don't think I ever used coupons but did use movie passes (free tickets) I had. Same with other event stuff which came my way or I had earned from other stuff.

A modern day gift card is just like a credit card so it spends like money and it is money so no different than cash IMO. I'd use something like that in a heartbeat.

IMO, regardless of the details of payment, the focus should be on the date itself, the interaction and getting to know. That other stuff is transactions.

Guy I went on a date with, had a two-for-one coupon. He told me for us to use the coupon I can only order something of equal or lesser value to what he's getting. That was ok. I didn't think he was cheap cos he still tipped the server as if the bill was for two. That was the right thing to do.

• Like 1

Use cash. Never let her pay for anything. Keep about $1000 in hundreds in your wallet. Keep about $300 in 20's in your pocket. Have a credit card for getting hotel rooms. Every time you pay for anything break a 20. Stick the change in your other pocket. By the end of the night you will have a big wadded up softball of 1's and 5's in your pocket. That's ok. Save them for tipping bartenders. (Btw, always tip $2 for each drink, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to drink at a bar, buy yourself a bottle and go home. Also never tip more than $2 per drink, that seems douchey) Don't let her see inside your wallet unless you burn through all the 20's in your pocket or you're buying something expensive like a fancy dinner, concert tickets, cocaine, etc. Even then don't let her see how much money is in your wallet. It should always seem like an infinite supply of crisp new 100's just appear magically out of your wallet. This method isn't even just for dating, but just life in general. People will treat you with more respect and take you more seriously if you aren't counting out 1's on the bar. If you can't afford to roll around with $1000 cash all the time, you shouldn't be going out to the bar or trying to romance women anyway. You should be taking another shift at work or picking up a night job.

• Like 1
Use cash. Never let her pay for anything. Keep about $1000 in hundreds in your wallet. Keep about $300 in 20's in your pocket. Have a credit card for getting hotel rooms. Every time you pay for anything break a 20. Stick the change in your other pocket. By the end of the night you will have a big wadded up softball of 1's and 5's in your pocket. That's ok. Save them for tipping bartenders. (Btw, always tip $2 for each drink, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to drink at a bar, buy yourself a bottle and go home. Also never tip more than $2 per drink, that seems douchey) Don't let her see inside your wallet unless you burn through all the 20's in your pocket or you're buying something expensive like a fancy dinner, concert tickets, cocaine, etc. Even then don't let her see how much money is in your wallet. It should always seem like an infinite supply of crisp new 100's just appear magically out of your wallet. This method isn't even just for dating, but just life in general. People will treat you with more respect and take you more seriously if you aren't counting out 1's on the bar. If you can't afford to roll around with $1000 cash all the time, you shouldn't be going out to the bar or trying to romance women anyway. You should be taking another shift at work or picking up a night job.

Good grief lol I think most people just dont care about what strangers think and have bigger issues in their lives to worry about rather their status image to strangers.

I almost wonder if your joking us.

• Like 3

Don't do coupons on a first date for dinner.

It's ok yo use something like a groupon ticket for something like 2 for 1 tickets for something if it doesn't restrict things.

Maybe a few dates later. I think the first date, you can gauge the type of woman she is. Gift card is fine I think. Coupon might be fine after a few dates depending on the coupon and where you go. I probably wouldn't use a groupon on a first dinner date. I wouldn't mind a coupon used for like an activity like skiing.

• Like 1

i don't mind coupons/groupons/2-for-1 activities, but a gift card might upset me. i know the groupon could have been as a gift as well, but something about a gift card says "someone bought me this and now i'm using their funds/gift on you." with a coupon/groupon the person likely bought it/printed it, but who buys their own gift cards?? a gift card date would make me think cheap, but the coupons wouldn't. i don't care if people use coupons on a first date - that means he knows how to save and handle money, and that's a positive in my dating world.

Stage5Clinger

This is so sad.

The person can pay in whatever means they wish. TBH, I enjoy a frugal mindset, it tells me they value their hard earned money and have little reason to toss it at a consumable with no profit being produced, other then a few pounds to be jogged off :)

If its an event, same theory applies. Heck I have a Local Discount card and often suggest they use that for the 20% off....No gent has ever declined that offer although they do ask how they can get one. Its a win win!

sidenote: Omei, I'm right there with ya on that one post....WOW!

I agree that maybe you shouldn't do that on the first date, just because the other person doesn't know you very well yet and everything you do kind of sets the tone and creates an impression of you, which during the first date can only be an incomplete representation, but she/he will fill in the blanks if the pieces of the puzzle are infavourable. Once you know each other better, it's really not a big deal.

I'm old skool, I think it's tacky. I myself would never use a gift card or coupons if I was the one taking them out on a date.

I can see if you are a college student, or young and just starting out, that would make sense, because not everyone has extra monies.

• Like 1