He left me waiting for his text... Did I do the right thing??

GingerVixen

So I've been texting this guy for a while.

He seems very interested in me but I can feel he is a player. However, he's fun to talk to, so I keep talking to him, though I won't let him play me.

So yesterday we had been texting for about 30 minutes and we had reached the point in which he said "we get along so well, we have an excellent rapport" and I agreed with him.

Then all of a sudden he says:

- BRB, parents calling.

- Okay, no problem.

Then I was very tired yesterday, I had a long day - and he knew it - and I was almost falling asleep.

ONE HOUR AND A HALF LATER, he texts me again (it was past midnight already): "Hey". And nothing else. I waited 10 min and he didn't say anything else, he didn't even apologize for taking so long.

I answered: "Hey... I'm really tired. I'm going to sleep. Have a good night :) "

He said "Ok, sleep well" and didn't text me today.

The thing is... I did that because I find it ridiculous that his "brb" lasts at least one hour. Also, I wanted to sleep, I won't keep talking to a guy if I am exhausted.

So what do you think? Did he do that only to see if I would wait for him? Was my attitude right? Was it too harsh?

Lois_Griffin

LOL.

Nobody ever comes right back when their parents are calling. My mom and I can be on the phone for 2 hours or more. :p

I don't think at all that he did it just to test you. I think he got caught up on the phone with his parents, is all.

• Like 3

He for dnt need to apologize because his parents called.

Parents calling him about something it may take 60-90 minutes.

He say hey...likely to see if you were awake. He was only going to send one. He wasn't young to send multiple ones waking you up.

You could have sent a text saying "I'm tired I'm going to bed now."

• Like 1

No I don't think anything is wrong. Don't overthink it. :) I think many people treat texting as something they do when other stuff isn't happening around them. It's an easy thing to do when you have a spare moment but then you go back to being busy again. It doesn't have to be rapid fire stuff.

• Like 3
  • Author

You could have sent a text saying "I'm tired I'm going to bed now."

LOL did you even read everything I posted? I have said that!!!

OP, based on what you shared, I think you are overreacting. I think if you are going to rely on texting for your communication you need to go with the flow more and not worry about little things like this. I agree with what the other poster said to you. It wasn't unreasonable for his response. He didn't say "wait for me to come back". You could have said "going to bed" at any time.

• Like 2
  • Author
OP, based on what you shared, I think you are overreacting. I think if you are going to rely on texting for your communication you need to go with the flow more and not worry about little things like this. I agree with what the other poster said to you. It wasn't unreasonable for his response. He didn't say "wait for me to come back". You could have said "going to bed" at any time.

Yeah, I just fear that sometimes men leave a girl waiting just to play her.

That's why I refused to keep talking, because I was falling asleep. I'm not going to feel exhausted only to please a guy.

• Like 1

His parents called, he may take however long it takes and then some even.

You're not a couple he doesnt have to contact you immediately he will return when hes ready to return and you must accept that.

Yes you overreacted luckly for you, you said goodnight politely and he took it as just that.

kismetkismet

He doesn't have to apologize for his parents calling... or if he had something else to do for a bit. I sometimes take that long to respond without even much of an explanation. that's why texting is texting and not a phone call.. you carry on with your life while you're doing it. If you want a more immediate interactioin then you should call. If i were you i'd have just gone to bed when he took too long.

LOL did you even read everything I posted? I have said that!!!

Yes I did....

You didn't say it till after he texted you. As if you kept yourself up so you guys could talk.

Were it me needing yo take hat call I'd hop if you got tired snd was going to bed before I could call you then you would text me saying you were going yo sleep.

Celeste.Carol

He showed initiative by texting you later. I believe that is a good sign.I am not sure of your ages, but texting alone seems to cause so many problems in dating today. Too many darn rules, games, what ifs, and what nots, etc.

It doesn't sound like he did anything wrong. Texting isn't like talking on the phone and putting someone on hold. It's annoying when people expect a steady and constant stream of text messages. It's hard to get stuff done and interact with others when you're texting for a length of time.

It comes off as a bit controlling to complain that he was gone an hour and half talking to his parents (even if he was doing other stuff too). Now, if he had not texted you back for a day or 2, that might be a cause to be annoyed. But 1 1/2 hours? Especially when he told you why he had to go....you may want to chill a bit or he will be totally turned off :cool:

Yeah, I just fear that sometimes men leave a girl waiting just to play her.

That's why I refused to keep talking, because I was falling asleep. I'm not going to feel exhausted only to please a guy.

Jeez is this seriously how girls think? Constantly worrying about being "played"? Do you seriously think he set a timer or something and told himself to not text you for this certain amount of time just to keep you on the edge of your seat? Grow up.

• Like 2

Whoa, you sound really needy! Good thing you didn't overreact otherwise you could have scared him off. I know something like that would be a total turnoff to me.

ExpatInItaly

Wow. 90 minutes and you're getting this upset?

Yes, you're completely over-reacting. If a guy got upset with me for taking a while to respond in a text conversation while i was busy with my parents I would think he needed to get a life. I'm not on my phone all day and people get busy. It's not his fault you actually sat around waiting for him.

• Like 2

You are the one playing games here. You have no idea how long his phone conversation with his parents lasted. He got back to you within 1.5 hours. I was shocked he responded at all that same night.

If you were tired fine, you had no obligation to become sleep deprived just to talk to him but I suspect that you only said you were tired because you were miffed after you decided that he was playing you. I saw no evidence of playing on his part. You need to figure out how you reached that conclusion besides your off-base premise that "Some guys" "leave a girl waiting just to play her." First men don't play games like that. Those head games are women's domain. Secondly even if that is true, just because "some guys" do this doesn't mean that all men do this & it is no evidence that this guy is doing that.

• Like 3

Personally if I were tired I would have just gone to sleep... Who cares if he is texting I need my sleep!

I don't think he has done anything wrong at all.

• Like 2
So I've been texting this guy for a while.

He seems very interested in me but I can feel he is a player. However, he's fun to talk to, so I keep talking to him, though I won't let him play me.

So yesterday we had been texting for about 30 minutes and we had reached the point in which he said "we get along so well, we have an excellent rapport" and I agreed with him.

Then all of a sudden he says:

- BRB, parents calling.

- Okay, no problem.

Then I was very tired yesterday, I had a long day - and he knew it - and I was almost falling asleep.

ONE HOUR AND A HALF LATER, he texts me again (it was past midnight already): "Hey". And nothing else. I waited 10 min and he didn't say anything else, he didn't even apologize for taking so long.

I answered: "Hey... I'm really tired. I'm going to sleep. Have a good night :) "

He said "Ok, sleep well" and didn't text me today.

The thing is... I did that because I find it ridiculous that his "brb" lasts at least one hour. Also, I wanted to sleep, I won't keep talking to a guy if I am exhausted.

So what do you think? Did he do that only to see if I would wait for him? Was my attitude right? Was it too harsh?

C'mon now. Just because he doesn't get back to you in whatever BRB means to YOU, isn't a big deal. Things may have taken longer than even he anticipated. Getting all pissy over a "late" text is immature. And, by your time schedule he was only half and hour late. It's not like you were waiting for him at a restaurant.

The point is that he did get back to you. You were tired. That's OK. And, now you're pissy because he didn't text you yet the next day. So what.

He was probably involved in an intense game of Call of Duty and didn't feel like texting. -I'm joking here, but still, I've been busy gaming playing Destiny, hear my phone go off, but so dialed in at the moment I forget. It happened last night to me actually for 3.5 hours. Whoops. Good thing I don't bother with girls that overreact like that. It will only come back to hurt the relationship more.

He doesn't owe you a response, you two aren't in a relationship - however, he did respond later that night, so take that into consideration. He didn't need to, but he did. I do think "Hey" texts are dumb and pointless, but he probably didn't want to wake you up, suck you into a conversation again when you were trying to go to sleep. It was a feeler text. If she responds, cool, if not I'll text her tomorrow.

Sometimes when I get sad that I'm single I think of situations like this. Then I'm happy that I don't have to deal with things like this.

This man is free to prioritize his time however he wishes. Especially since you two aren't even in a relationship. The behavior you are demonstrating is manipulative and controlling.

• Author

DAMN.

You all didn't get my point.

I am not pissed at him. I don't care if he took long or not.

All I am asking if it you found my attitude rude or not, since he is not talking to me right now.

mattelipstick
DAMN.

All I am asking if it you found my attitude rude or not, since he is not talking to me right now.

And what you asked, in part, was this:

So what do you think? Did he do that only to see if I would wait for him?

So people are telling you that he didn't do anything except take a call from his family, which he was entitled to do without explanation or apology.

Also, it sure sounded like you minded how long he took.

The thing is... I did that because I find it ridiculous that his "brb" lasts at least one hour.
DAMN.

But, you obviously did care that he took "long". You thought he should have apologized after texting you back ONE HOUR AND A HALF later (your words).

• Like 1