This is a rejection right?

towardthefuture

towardthefuture

I was talking to this girl and asked her if she wanted to go out for a drink and she says "Oh that sounds like fun but I'm busy this week until next Thursday actually because my friends are visiting from Korea." To which I responded, "Sure, let me know if you change your mind. Would be fun to get to know each other better."

Rejection right?

StocksnBlondes

No rejection.

Keep it light and say "let's keep in touch and find a time that works after your company leaves. Really looking forward ..."

I wouldn't have said "change your mind" because it sounds like you're not listening or at least disregarding her reasons for not being able to meet this week. Keep it cool and kind.

• Like 1

"Hope you have a great time with your friends! I'll give you a call next week and maybe we can make a plan for one night after they leave."

Then see how she reacts. No reason to give up yet!

ETA: great minds think alike :)

To which I responded, "Sure, let me know if you change your mind.

It seems like friends have traveled a long way to see her. Why would she change her mind? You're kind of indirectly putting her on the spot to choose you over them. That didn't sound like rejection at all. You should have done like JasmineJones said and asked her for another time. If she went around that one too, then I might start looking for hints.

It seems like friends have traveled a long way to see her. Why would she change her mind? You're kind of indirectly putting her on the spot to choose you over them. That didn't sound like rejection at all. You should have done like JasmineJones said and asked her for another time. If she went around that one too, then I might start looking for hints.

Based on the title of this thread, I am sensing he said "let me know if you change your mind," because he interpreted her reason for saying no (that her friends were visiting) as being just an excuse because she didn't want to go out with him.

So, if she changes her mind and decides she "does" want to go, to let him know.

• Author
towardthefuture

Well we go to the same meetup group so I'll see her on Saturday I'll see what the vibe is like then

Based on the title of this thread, I am sensing he said "let me know if you change your mind," because he interpreted her reason for saying no (that her friends were visiting) as being just an excuse because she didn't want to go out with him.

So, if she changes her mind and decides she "does" want to go, to let him know.

That sounds like a big misinterpretation. I wouldn't assume anything, so I responded to what was said at face value. If he got the idea that the girl really didn't want to go out with him, then he shouldn't have even said, "let me know if you change your mind." That's a weak response to rejection.

That sounds like a big misinterpretation. I wouldn't assume anything, so I responded to what was said at face value. If he got the idea that the girl really didn't want to go out with him, then he shouldn't have even said, "let me know if you change your mind." That's a weak response to rejection.

I know you were. Just offering up an explanation as to why he made that comment.

Some people interpret any excuse/reason as a rejection. And like I said, judging from the title of this thread, it sounds like he may be one of those people.

JMO

Edited by katiegrl
  • Like 1
I was talking to this girl and asked her if she wanted to go out for a drink and she says "Oh that sounds like fun but I'm busy this week until next Thursday actually because my friends are visiting from Korea." To which I responded, "Sure, let me know if you change your mind. Would be fun to get to know each other better."

Rejection right?

No she is giving you an alternative because her friends are here right now.

Ask her out either next Thursday or Friday...

Rejection right?

Response should have been "ok, then how about Friday after they've left?".