Is it ok to date an older guy with a child?

Lib1997

So I'm 18, I'm trying to stay away from relationships but not rule anything out either (due to bad past experiences). I recently met a guy who is absolutely lovely and I can tell he's good.

But he is 28 years old and has a 3 (almost 4) year old daughter.

There's nothing serious between me and this guy yet but I'm not sure whether I should see where this goes or to just leave it all well alone because of the age gap and child.

He is lovely and acts a lot younger than his age. And I tend to be quite mature for my age, so I've been told.

So do I or don't I?

StalwartMind

Age is just a number. Sure there are logical reasons as to why be somewhat close, but personality from person to person is so different that if you feel you get a long well, then why not take that chance, it might be the best thing you ever did. I sincerely hope that most adults, regardless of their overall maturity, never lose their inner child. I love the heck out of seeing my parents or even older people still be silly, funny and playful as if they were five years old.

No.

Psychologically, no matter how 'mature' you believe yourself to be, there are anatomical aspects of your brain which are not complete.

I'm not being insulting, it's a biological fact.

You are not mechanically equipped to make some logical decisions yet, and that's ok, it's the way it is....

It just means that there may well be things which occur that you don't make sound decisions on.

In many ways, you are still 'a child'.

Being 10 years younger than he, at this age, is not conducive to a healthy progress, particularly as much of his attention will be given to his child.

She is and always will be, his priority.

And rightly so.

Take things very slowly, and be tentative and guarded.... but I would personally advise against this, right now....

• Author

Thanks for the replies guys.

I completely agree with never losing your inner child. You have to enjoy life.

I do completely see what you're saying about me being too young. I do see that too. Hence I posted the question. And of course his daughter would always be priority. I wouldn't ever let him choose me over her, if there ever came a point where he would have to. My father chose his wife over me and that's ok he's entitled to make his own decisions but I've still not really forgiven him for it. The child(ren) always come first.

I'm very unsure as to whether this is good for me as well. As much as he is lovely and would more than likely treat me right. I'm still young so do I want serious right now? I just don't know.

Of course I am going to take it slow. See how things pan out.