Potentially more than friends?

TunaInTheBrine

TunaInTheBrine

I have a female friend/connection who I met through a buddy of mine a year ago. They used to see each other briefly, but it didn't work out. We were a little flirty when we first met a year ago, but the guy she was seeing at the time got jealous and she seemed to go cold on me. I never pursued her because of the connection she had to my buddy. We meet up once in a great while, usually with mutual friends.

Anyway, tonight I was in her town and we grabbed dinner and drinks together. She told me I "looked great". She was asking me if I was seeing anyone, and we talked about our romantic pitfalls, had some laughs and what not. In hindsight, I should have flirted with her right there and playfully alluded to her and I getting together just to see her reaction, but I didn't.

Enough time has passed since she saw my buddy (who has since moved far away) and I found myself considering going for her. She's cute, but I never really thought about it before. I can't tell if she's into me though. When we said goodbye tonight, she gave me one of those distant reaching hugs.

I'm curious what other people think, and any advice for checking this out further. My only hesitancy is her prior involvement with my friend who moved away (the bro code!), and also she might relocate somewhere else in a year anyway, so I don't know if it's worth pursuing. That, and I like her as a friend, and kind of worry about ruining things/making things awkward. She's definitely cute though and we share a lot in common, and I'm in the market, so I wouldn't want to pass it up entirely either.

• Author
TunaInTheBrine
Just go on a couple dates and decide from there.

Was that a date though?

I'm not sure how she feels about me, and I'm trying to figure out how to gauge her interest (as well as my own) before I truly pursue anything. Like I said, she's a connection/friend of over one year, and the context of our connection (mutual friends, her ex who is my buddy) matters to me. I don't want to prematurely jump anything and then us both be in some awkward situation. On the other hand, after last night, I wouldn't want to write her off either. She's a charming lady and I'm a little curious.

Could someone suggest to me how to figure this out?

Edited by TunaInTheBrine