Challenging traditional height norms

Trane

I'm a short guy(5'6) who actively challenges traditional height norms in dating.

I have no problems approaching or chatting up women who tower over me, even if they are near 6'0 or taller.

It's actually a preference that can be somewhat difficult to deal with considering that many tall women desire or need to feel "normal" with an equally tall or taller guy.

Are there any tall ladies on LS in the 6'0 range and above who actively seek out men who are significantly shorter than they are? At the same token, are there men here under 5'7 who approach tall women and laugh in the face of those who have issues with the height difference?

I don't know tall women who actively seek out shorter men, but I have known plenty who are open to them.

(You REALLY need to re-phrase that....)

:laugh:

Height, like anything, contributes to your own perception. Tall people are considered more desirable. So knowing you don't fit that role affects the way you think about yourself and your dating opportunities. I mean shoot, that's why you're here.

I think this is best represented in the entrepreneurial community. If I go to an entrepreneurial event, the average male height is 6' or more. Is that a coincidence? No. Height doesn't just affect success in dating. There are books written on height and increased opportunity (though ironically they are on the top shelf of Barnes and Noble aisles....touché B&N).

However, there ARE very successful entrepreneurs at your height. There ARE short guys that date taller women. These things do happen...and when it does, you never seem to question it when you meet the guy. He is supremely confident and he doesn't give 2 craps about what you think. My business partner's dad is a CEO of a company you've heard of...and he is under 5'9'' and married to a 5'11'' woman. Do you think he cares what you think? He just went for it both professionally and personally.

Everything in dating eventually boils down to confidence. Women can read your confidence like it's written on your face (because in a lot of ways it is). Just own who you are and you won't have problems.

Then again, I'm 6'2''. So I'm speaking from what I've seen...and otherwise a wealth of ignorance.

• Like 1

I'm a 6'0" tall bloke so pretty average in height but I have never understood why height means so much to some people. If I liked a girl, found her attractive and she had a great personality I couldn't care less if she was 5'0" or 6'6".

I don't know tall women who actively seek out shorter men, but I have known plenty who are open to them.

To be fair many of these ladies are plus sized in my experience.

I'm 5'10" and went on a few dates a while back with a guy who was 5'4". He was unique in that he never once depicted the height difference as a negative thing ("I wish I were taller"/"you were shorter"). In fact, he made it very clear that he's most attracted to taller women and always has been. He said one of his brothers joked with him as a teenager that he would have to stand on a step stool to kiss a taller woman. He said he didn't care, wanted what he wanted.

So he never depicted the height difference as a negative, and he praised my height as a positive.

Also, he had a naturally muscular body type and a masculine disposition - broad shoulders, strong muscles, positive and take charge attitude. So I always felt there was plenty of masculine counterbalance to my femininity, which is important.

We didn't pursue a relationship for other reasons, but his height wasn't a factor. To be honest, I never imagined myself dating a guy 6 inches shorter than me, but he was such a cool guy that I was happy to go out with him and didn't see it as a barrier. I was considering dozens if not hundreds of romantic prospects at the time, and he stood out for being much more solid and appealing than 99% of the competition.

I would venture that there are virtually NO women that specifically seek out short men based on their shortness.

That would be a fetish and fetishes are almost exclusively a male characteristic. There are women who have strong preferences and every woman likes what she likes but actual fetishes are rare in women.

(For this instance I am defining as having a need for a singular trait in order to desire someone, or excluding all others based on lack of that trait regardless of what else they have to offer)

While most women prefer men taller than themselves and very few (if in fact ANY) prefer men shorter than themselves, your average woman on the street usually does a pretty good job of averaging out what traits they like vs those they don't and then coming up with a net sum and basing their attraction off of that net sum.

Height is a trait some women will compromise an inch or two but there are surely some who won't.

But generally women are not like men who can become fixated on some physical trait and will only date or be attracted to people possessing that trait and summarily dismissing those that do not possess that trait.

• Like 2

I'm 5'8". A little on the small side for a guy, but nothing freakish.

I used to be insecure about my height, but I am a man through and through, and I don't sweat it anymore. Women who discount me b/c of my height are simply not the right ones for me. I tend to date shorter women, but two of my GFs have been my exact height, and it never bothered them.

Also went on a date with a girl my height last night, got the kiss. I'm simply comfortable with myself, and this in turn makes them comfortable with me. Insecurities are unattractive. It's all about owning your perceived "flaws".

I have never understood why height means so much to some people.

I think you can blame gender norms, and the mysteries of attraction.

For the most part women prefer a man who is larger than they are. Taller, more muscular.

Men for the most part prefer women smaller than they are. Shorter, smaller body mass.

I can't say I ever dated a guy shorter than I am (5'6"), I am also on the more muscular side... And prefer a more muscular / physically bulkier guy - at least a little taller than me.

And I admit, I am more physically attracted to taller guys. I like the feeling of looking up when I am in their arms etc.

I know two tall women 6'2" / 6'3" range. Both are physically fit, and fairly good looking. They find their height to be a detriment when dating.

• Author
Nah... you don't want a woman who actively seeks out shorter men. Your height doesn't define you.

Yes, my height doesn't define me but the dating world does a strong emphasis on height.

Come to think of it, I love tall ladies who like to be the bigger spoon(as rare as they are, see Anna Goldfarb)and are more than just being open to dating men shorter than they are.

Tall women who prefer being the bigger spoon are rare but so much fun to be with once you find one.

Generally I like men who are taller than me. I am 5'4" so most men are taller than me. It is pretty simple.

That doesn't mean that men who are my height-isn have no chance. I've been attracted to many shorter men too.

Considering height.,,,

consider this too…

stand up position sex….

it matters.

;)

I'm 6'!" tall, and have a problem with shorter women in that position *unless they compensate" lol ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 5ft 5 and curvy (i.e. baby got back)

I don't really care about height but he has to be taller than me and stocky-ish as skinny guys make me feel like more of a fat arse and once I was with a skinny guy and his bones stabbed me in the nude and it hurt :(

lollipopspot
To be fair many of these ladies are plus sized in my experience.

Then I guess they would both have something that society deems less attractive, so it equals out :)