Could I be pregnant

premedlife

I wasn't sure where the appropriate place to post this would be. So back in July(13th) I got on the Pill. I had some dark brown spotting that was very light 6 days before my expected period on August 01. I have never experienced this before. My period is 28 days. I had unprotected sex during my entire ovulation days. My period is now 8 days late. I stopped taking the pill after my first batch finished because of the weirdness it caused in my period. I have taken 4 pregnancy test within 4 days after my missed period(start on September 1).and they are all negative. I don't plan on taking another test until next week. I feel nauseous all the time, I feel bloated, I'm constantly tired and want to sleep. Constant headaches and lastly Extremely sore nipples. Tomorrow marks day 9past my period. Are these early signs of pregnancy? Or is my period just late?

I wasn't sure where the appropriate place to post this would be. So back in July(13th) I got on the Pill. I had some dark brown spotting that was very light 6 days before my expected period on August 01. I have never experienced this before. My period is 28 days. I had unprotected sex during my entire ovulation days. My period is now 8 days late. I stopped taking the pill after my first batch finished because of the weirdness it caused in my period. I have taken 4 pregnancy test within 4 days after my missed period(start on September 1).and they are all negative. I don't plan on taking another test until next week. I feel nauseous all the time, I feel bloated, I'm constantly tired and want to sleep. Constant headaches and lastly Extremely sore nipples. Tomorrow marks day 9past my period. Are these early signs of pregnancy? Or is my period just late?

When you switch birth control they tell you to wait a few weeks in order to have sex again. Not saying you are but there is a chance if you had sex immediately after switching. At least all my doctors tell me its a huge no. We can't really say you are. Just have to take the test in a week or two.

Edited by sportygirl89
  • Like 3

You did everything wrong.

* you started your pill on the wrong day

* you stopped the pill before the end of the pack

* you worried about a little bit of normal spotting

What do they teach you at premed school?

Take your morning urine sample to the drug store.

All your symptoms could be pregnancy or ovulation related. They do mimic each other.

• Like 2
  • Author
You did everything wrong.

* you started your pill on the wrong day

* you stopped the pill before the end of the pack

* you worried about a little bit of normal spotting

What do they teach you at premed school?

Take your morning urine sample to the drug store.

All your symptoms could be pregnancy or ovulation related. They do mimic each other.

Yes I realized I started the whole pill wrong and didn't even finish the brown "reminder" pills. Being a premed does not mean I know everything. Nor do they teach about contraceptives and pregnancy in biochemistry, genetics, physic, or organic chemistry(these are the basic premed class, btw). Thanks for your advice. I will do just that.

• Like 1
Yes I realized I started the whole pill wrong and didn't even finish the brown "reminder" pills. Being a premed does not mean I know everything. Nor do they teach about contraceptives and pregnancy in biochemistry, genetics, physic, or organic chemistry(these are the basic premed class, btw). Thanks for your advice. I will do just that.

As a woman, I feel that our reproductive cycles and everything related to contraception can be somewhat confusing and complicated. As a pre-med student, I don't think you have any obligation to have mastered every part of human anatomy/physiology.

However, most people do know the risks associated with your approach to sex. Not only pregnancy, but other risks. When girls do have unprotected sex in this way, and then seem very anxious about a possible pregnancy, it makes me wonder what else is going on with her?

What made you choose to do that? Was the sex trying to fill a void in your life? How can you avoid taking those risks in the future? Just some questions to think about.

I wish you the best on whatever path life has for you.

God bless.

• Like 2
I had unprotected sex during my entire ovulation days.

--- haven't taken the pill for a whole cycle, check

--- penis in vagina during ovulation, check

--- symptoms of pregnancy after missed period, check

Of course you could be pregnant.. seems a higher percentage that you might realize..

Go get an over the counter test and take it..maybe wait a week before the next one and if you are still negative you probably aren't pregnant

• Like 3
  • Author
As a woman, I feel that our reproductive cycles and everything related to contraception can be somewhat confusing and complicated. As a pre-med student, I don't think you have any obligation to have mastered every part of human anatomy/physiology.

However, most people do know the risks associated with your approach to sex. Not only pregnancy, but other risks. When girls do have unprotected sex in this way, and then seem very anxious about a possible pregnancy, it makes me wonder what else is going on with her?

What made you choose to do that? Was the sex trying to fill a void in your life? How can you avoid taking those risks in the future? Just some questions to think about.

I wish you the best on whatever path life has for you.

God bless.

Hmmm I've just been extremely careless with my boyfriend. I might be allegic to condoms. They burn pretty bad, I can't get wet and sex is just unenjoyable. This delay in my period definitely taught me a good lesson. Not ready to be a mommy at 21. Thanks for your post really thought provoking.

Edited by premedlife
  • Like 1
Hmmm I've just been extremely careless with my boyfriend. I might be allegic to condoms. They burn pretty bad, I can't get wet and sex is just unenjoyable. This delay in my period definitely taught me a good lesson. Not ready to be a mommy at 21. Thanks for your post really thought provoking.

You could be pregnant or you your body could just be adjusting to the birth control pills. Or perhaps not adjusting, whatever the case may be. When I started taking the birth control pill it was like non stop PMS. Headaches, bloating, tender boobs and moodiness. They had me stay on that pill to see if I would adjust and when my symptoms were still the same a couple of months later they gave me a different type of birth control pill (I think back then it was called a combination pill) and the change worked like a charm. Also if you are on the pill and you miss a dose it is very normal to start spotting like your period wants to start but then if you take the pill as scheduled for a few days the spotting will stop. It is important to take it at aprox the same time everyday and not miss days, otherwise you will be on a hormonal rollercoaster and you will not be fully protected.

Since you have had 4 negative pregnancy tests since your period was due you are probably not pregnant. However make sure you use back up birth control until you are certain. If you are not pregnant and these symptoms continue tell your doctor as you may need birth control pill changed to something you can better tolerate.

• Like 2
Are you seriously a pre-med student asking this?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This girl comes here for help with what is probably a very stressful situation and the first comment is you making fun of her? Wow.

If you have taken that many tests and they all came out negative, I would say so far so good, but make sure they were good tests. Some tests only claim accuracy after a certain number of days passed. There is always a possibility when you have unprotected sex, that's the risk everyone takes when they do it. So far, at least you seem to be doing ok with how to proceed. I would say keep monitoring that and like you said plan on taking another after more days have passed.

And if you are not pregnant, remember this experience. Learn from it.

• Like 2

Not to scare you OP but I had a friend who kept getting negative tests and that negative test just had her second birthday. If you don't get a period very, very soon go to the doctor and get a proper blood test done so you can assess your options post haste. Good luck to you.

• Like 3
Cupid's Puppet

It is probably nothing. I missed my period for 3 months straight and I was experiencing all those signs. I was extremely tired, bloated, back pains, etc. That was not normal for me. But I got 7 negative urine tests. I still wanted to take a blood test for confirmation. It was negative too. As soon as I got that confirmation, miraculously all those pregnancy like symptoms disappeared. Basically all that was me stressing out.

I had gotten myself worried reading about people that got pregnant even with the pill and condom and 20 negative tests :laugh: Just don't stress. An irregular cycle will happen some point especially when you engage in sexual activity. When your period is late, your body naturally starts bloating and all that. If that uterine lining isn't shedding then your waist will keep spreading. You got to get your period down. Try something natural like spearmint tea twice a day, exercise regularly, and drink water. But of course there is the possibility you're pregnant. Just letting you know what could be another reason for your symptoms.

• Author
You could be pregnant or you your body could just be adjusting to the birth control pills. Or perhaps not adjusting, whatever the case may be. When I started taking the birth control pill it was like non stop PMS. Headaches, bloating, tender boobs and moodiness. They had me stay on that pill to see if I would adjust and when my symptoms were still the same a couple of months later they gave me a different type of birth control pill (I think back then it was called a combination pill) and the change worked like a charm. Also if you are on the pill and you miss a dose it is very normal to start spotting like your period wants to start but then if you take the pill as scheduled for a few days the spotting will stop. It is important to take it at aprox the same time everyday and not miss days, otherwise you will be on a hormonal rollercoaster and you will not be fully protected.

Since you have had 4 negative pregnancy tests since your period was due you are probably not pregnant. However make sure you use back up birth control until you are certain. If you are not pregnant and these symptoms continue tell your doctor as you may need birth control pill changed to something you can better tolerate.

My doctor didn't explain all this! The day before the spotting started I missed a pill and took 2 the next day. Then a day after I started spotting. I was waiting on my September period or the first Sunday after my period to start taking the pills the correct way.

• Author
It is probably nothing. I missed my period for 3 months straight and I was experiencing all those signs. I was extremely tired, bloated, back pains, etc. That was not normal for me. But I got 7 negative urine tests. I still wanted to take a blood test for confirmation. It was negative too. As soon as I got that confirmation, miraculously all those pregnancy like symptoms disappeared. Basically all that was me stressing out.

I had gotten myself worried reading about people that got pregnant even with the pill and condom and 20 negative tests :laugh: Just don't stress. An irregular cycle will happen some point especially when you engage in sexual activity. When your period is late, your body naturally starts bloating and all that. If that uterine lining isn't shedding then your waist will keep spreading. You got to get your period down. Try something natural like spearmint tea twice a day, exercise regularly, and drink water. But of course there is the possibility you're pregnant. Just letting you know what could be another reason for your symptoms.

Thanks you very much for your kind words. I goes there could be so many possibilities as to what the problem is. I just have to wait and see where all this will lead to.

First, don't take medical advice from non-doctors on the internet. The human body is a complex system. Yes you could be pregnant but you could also have upset your system with the hormones in the pill.

If you haven't taken an OTC pregnancy test, take one. If it's positive, get to a doctor & not the one who didn't educate you.

My doctor didn't explain all this! .

Life lesson for somebody who wants to be a physician: talk to your patients and make sure they understand the drugs you are giving them & how their bodies work.

• Like 1

Go to the doctor and get this cleared up now. You have done several things "wrong' here. Yes, they are all early signs of pregnancy but they are also signs of not taking "meds" as prescribed. Like a lot of people said, "you are a premed student?

Most likely:

-dark spotting: because you adjusted to the hormones from the pill

-missed period August 1: because you already shed your uterine lining (the spotting)

-missed period September: because you stopped the pill -messed up your hormones again

- the "pregnancy" symptoms: consequence of the messed hormonal levels

I don't think you're pregnant but if you're afraid - do a blood test, not a urine one, and call it a day. And DON'T do this ever again (starting/stopping the pill without following the prescription). You see the side effects. Just go get a copper T if you do not want to use hormonal birth control and/or condoms (btw there are poliuretane condoms if you are allergic to latex)

• Like 1
Like a lot of people said, "you are a premed student?

You guys, she's PRE-med. PRE, meaning BEFORE the med. She explained herself that they don't teach you this kind of stuff while you're taking your PRE-requisites for medical school.

Let's maybe lay off on that. It really has nothing to do with her situation. It's like berating a PRE-law student for not understanding complicated legal procedure; she'll learn, jeebus.

• Like 5

No but you should be sensitive to the fact putting artificial hormones in a woman's body will have side effects. At 21 you should have read the booklet coming with the pills and have followed these instructions. You would have read that if you miss or stop the pill at an inappropriate time you will spot. Last time you posted you had unprotected sex and was worried to have caught herpes, now it's a pregnancy scare. In life you have to look out for yourself and educate yourself on things you put in your body and things you expose yourself to. Don't count on society, or school, or even your doctor to spend 1 hour explaining to you the pros and cons of the pill.

• Like 1

By the way, OP. I too have a friend who took numerous negative HPTs, only to eventually go to the doctor and discover that she was five months pregnant, so yes, it happens.

You guys, she's PRE-med. PRE, meaning BEFORE the med. She explained herself that they don't teach you this kind of stuff while you're taking your PRE-requisites for medical school.

Let's maybe lay off on that. It really has nothing to do with her situation. It's like berating a PRE-law student for not understanding complicated legal procedure; she'll learn, jeebus.

This is not a complicated medical thing either. Even in pre-med status, she should be aware that not taking meds as prescribed is a no no. I'd bet that is 101 level. As far as I know, none of us are pre-med even and we know that. In addition, I've read that she's posted about having unprotected sex and worrying about herpes? She's going to have a hard time in medical school, if she's not learning from her life experiences . . . I'm sorry to be harsh, but sometimes a person needs a kick in the rear end.

I would recommend going to a doctor or clinic and just having the blood test done. Your period is late enough now that there should be a definitive answer. Then you will know for sure and the weight will be off (or at least you will know for sure what the weight is).

This is not a complicated medical thing either. Even in pre-med status, she should be aware that not taking meds as prescribed is a no no. I'd bet that is 101 level. As far as I know, none of us are pre-med even and we know that. In addition, I've read that she's posted about having unprotected sex and worrying about herpes? She's going to have a hard time in medical school, if she's not learning from her life experiences . . . I'm sorry to be harsh, but sometimes a person needs a kick in the rear end.

My shock at the OP being Pre-Med is that most people who are training to become doctors would know/should know that when one has a medical question, they SEEK OUT A DOCTOR and not go looking on a relationship chat site for a medical opinion.

That is what blows my mind.

• Like 4

It's possible.

I take Ocella and the instructions are that if you start on the first day of your period you don't need a back-up method of birth control (like a condom). If however you do a "Sunday start" then you should use backup methods of BC (like a condom) until the next Sunday. Essentially, it takes about a week for the BC to start working effectively in your system.

I'm not certain of the period of time necessary before pregnancy tests are most likely accurate, but I'd wait another week and see what happens. If your period still doesn't come then I'd go back into the doctor who prescribed them to you, tell her what you told us, and perhaps get another test from them to be sure.

Yes, I understand, I just think that her username, or educational status, is irrelevant to the topic at hand. She's also quite young. If anything, this speaks to the dismal lack of sex ed in this country.

Hopefully an unwanted, unplanned pregnancy (or threat of one) will be kick in the rear end enough.

Btw, Red I'm not picking on you. I quoted you, but was speaking to the several examples in this thread of people ragging on her b/c of the assumption that her premed status should make her more educated on the subject, that's all.

• Like 5