How do you stop thinking you're not good enough after a breakup?

walkingonair

walkingonair

When someone breaks up with you, you usually start blaming yourself and start finding flaws in yourself and it completely damages your self esteem.How can a person stop taking a breakup personally?:(

HereNorThere

In cognitive behavioral therapy, they teach you techniques called "stop thought" process. Basically little mental tricks to help you either A) stop the intrusive/disturbing thoughts or B) reframe the thought to see it in a different light. My therapist always told me to imagine a mental stop sign as soon as the thought occurred and to focus on the stop sign and think about the different aspects of it as a way of diverting my attention. A quick google search gave me this link with a bunch of different ones. -

https://iveronicawalsh.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/a-thought-replacement-exercise-a-cbt-worksheethandout/

Personally, I think in some way you just have to let the thoughts flow without giving them significance or exploring them. Imagine a text stream of your inner dialog flowing in front you. Pick out the good thoughts to explore and let the bad continue to flow away. Honestly, it's just going to take some time because your wound is pretty fresh. Once you change your day to day patterns and make new habits, you'll notice the thoughts occur less and less and the one day you'll realize you haven't thought about it in a day and then the day turns to a week and so forth. Good luck and stay strong.

• Like 1
  • Author
walkingonair
In cognitive behavioral therapy, they teach you techniques called "stop thought" process. Basically little mental tricks to help you either A) stop the intrusive/disturbing thoughts or B) reframe the thought to see it in a different light. My therapist always told me to imagine a mental stop sign as soon as the thought occurred and to focus on the stop sign and think about the different aspects of it as a way of diverting my attention. A quick google search gave me this link with a bunch of different ones. -

https://iveronicawalsh.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/a-thought-replacement-exercise-a-cbt-worksheethandout/

Personally, I think in some way you just have to let the thoughts flow without giving them significance or exploring them. Imagine a text stream of your inner dialog flowing in front you. Pick out the good thoughts to explore and let the bad continue to flow away. Honestly, it's just going to take some time because your wound is pretty fresh. Once you change your day to day patterns and make new habits, you'll notice the thoughts occur less and less and the one day you'll realize you haven't thought about it in a day and then the day turns to a week and so forth. Good luck and stay strong.

Awww interesting!!!!!Thank You sooooo much!!!!You are helping me Sooo much!!!:)