What makes a Man?

treehugger101

treehugger101

You know the expression "be a man" "man up" "why don't you be a man" etc. So what do these expressions actually mean? What defines a man? Is it a male that has his life together, a job, house, car, education, money? A male that is confident, not insecure, doesn't have low esteem or low confidence, etc. What do you think?

Snaggletooth
You know the expression "be a man" "man up" "why don't you be a man" etc. So what do these expressions actually mean? What defines a man? Is it a male that has his life together, a job, house, car, education, money? A male that is confident, not insecure, doesn't have low esteem or low confidence, etc. What do you think?

Honesty, integrity, character, self sufficiency, acceptance of responsibility, sense of duty, generosity of spirit, looking after those around you, paying your way, owning your sh*t, crossing the road, not turning a blind eye, action meeting words.

Any worm can gain and own possessions. The job, house, car, money does not make a man.

• Like 5
casey.lives

The mark of a man is also bravery. I believe that having courage is the seed by which everything Snaggletooth said grows.

• Like 1
PrettyEmily77

Testosterones are what make a man, mainly ;). Every other attribute is gender neutral, pretty much.

If I look at the 4 men in my life I admire the most (my father, my brother, my BF and my closest male friend), they all have attributes like humility, integrity, generosity of spirit / time, meaning what they say and saying what they mean, rising above adversity with dignity and grace, not taking themselves too seriously, etc.

And, accessorily, they also have the education, job, house, car, money, etc.

I've never heard my father describe himself as a 'good man' or blow his own trumpet in any way, yet he's the best man I know hands down, although he is too humble to even see it. All in all, I think what they all have in common is that they don't stop to think about what it takes to be a man - they just are, you know...

Edited by PrettyEmily77
  • Like 4
dreamingoftigers

Pretty sure it's the Y Chromosome that makes a man when you put it together with the X Chromosome.

• Like 5
Pretty sure it's the Y Chromosome that makes a man when you put it together with the X Chromosome.

But when phrases like "man up" are used it means get on with it and deal with the issue.

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst

It's pretty much platitudes people use when they don't have a real answer for the situation. It's thought to be a "catch all" used as a solution.

Watched a BBC documentary a while back on the orphans of Ebola. Harrowing stuff. A boy who was 7 was looking after his 3 younger sisters. Feeding them, getting water. Putting them to sleep and comforting them And even talking about reviving his now forgotten dreams of school.

That`s a man.

• Like 7
BronzeAgeJaeger217

That's why I stated in another thread, I have felt this way about life, reality, society for a while now, its like a woman is automatically accepted as a woman just for having a vagina, because there is no female equivalent to "man up, be a man, grow a pair or grow some balls", they always talk about when men fail to be a real man but never about when women fail to be a real woman

Thoughts, words, and actions being the same. Looking out for number one, without screwing others over. Critical thinking andnot following fools to ruin. Not being dependant on others, but smart enough to listen to wisdom. Bending or forthright breaking rules if against ones princples.

• Like 1
That's why I stated in another thread, I have felt this way about life, reality, society for a while now, its like a woman is automatically accepted as a woman just for having a vagina, because there is no female equivalent to "man up, be a man, grow a pair or grow some balls", they always talk about when men fail to be a real man but never about when women fail to be a real woman

They are not a classy lady. It's Crystal clear when they have failed to be respectable or lacked self preservation.

Welcome to a world dominated by Feminism. As an FYI, though, what you're alluding to is one of the reasons that women only make ~79% of what men make - because they generally fail to take charge, negotiate hard for increased pay, etc. To that end, it's also the reason that men that aren't "real men" also make substantially less than those that take charge.

Effectively, there is a bonus for growing balls, regardless of your gender, and a penalty for not doing so...

Honesty, integrity, character, self sufficiency, acceptance of responsibility, sense of duty, generosity of spirit, looking after those around you, paying your way, owning your sh*t, crossing the road, not turning a blind eye, action meeting words.

Problem is using this a a description for the 'man up' expression kind of implies women are not these things.

Those expression are dated.

But when phrases like "man up" are used it means get on with it and deal with the issue.

see?

lol

Edited by Maleficent
BronzeAgeJaeger217
Welcome to a world dominated by Feminism. As an FYI, though, what you're alluding to is one of the reasons that women only make ~79% of what men make - because they generally fail to take charge, negotiate hard for increased pay, etc. To that end, it's also the reason that men that aren't "real men" also make substantially less than those that take charge.

Effectively, there is a bonus for growing balls, regardless of your gender, and a penalty for not doing so...

I'm talking more in a dating/relationship sense

ChicagoSparty
Thoughts, words, and actions being the same. Looking out for number one, without screwing others over. Critical thinking andnot following fools to ruin. Not being dependant on others, but smart enough to listen to wisdom. Bending or forthright breaking rules if against ones princples.

Sure. That, and a pair of tentacles.

Sincerely,

The Dude

• Like 1
I'm talking more in a dating/relationship sense

-He's a provider and a protector...

He doesn't sit back and tell his woman to go make money so he can have more "stuff" and abandon their child/children in daycare. He steps up to the plate and will work three jobs if that's what it takes to provide and protect his family.

I mean, lost count of how many times I see these court TV shows where some loser is taking money from some woman (who sometimes has her own kids to care for) cuz he's too lazy to get off his duff and work a decent job and get his act together. And, gotta love those guys who take money from women to support their other women and illegit kids...classy, classy dudes.

-He's a gentleman. He opens doors. He treats a woman with dignity and respect. He has manners. He knows that he must eat with a freakin' fork and knife at a formal event/occasion.

-He has his "stuff" together. He's got his own job/career, home, etc. He ain't relying on some woman to help him pay his bills.

There was a time that a man dare not even ask a girl on a date unless he had his crap together. Not now a days. "Men" are "boys". They sit in their mommy's basement playing video games and have women banging down their doors to sex them and/or "play house". These women want marriage and/or kids before these "boys" have a chance to make their way and become "men"...

Back in the day, certain cultures had weird rituals (like a "right of passage") that boys had to accomplish to become men (i.e. kill a tiger or something). Now a days, men have no requirement to prove a thing for a woman to get with them except having a penis and a pulse and that is sad.

It isn't that hard for a "man" to be a "man"...the hard thing is men are being discouraged from being "men" and have no solid male role models now a days. Colleges are losing male participation/completion. In schools boys are being drugged and labeled ADD/ADHD instead of being properly educated. Women are breadwinners now a days and/or pay "half" of this/that.

I was listening to my fav podcaster, some women wrote in letters. One letter, she said she was dating another guy when she met her current husband. Her current husband was treating his family so well at a get-together that she dumped her bf on the spot and started dating him and how her husband basically treated his family showed the mark of a "man". Another letter? A woman said how something broke on her car and while her man didn't know how to fix it, he put a patch on it and got back to it a little later and had it properly fixed. He wasn't gonna let his woman drive the car with it being messed up. Another occasion, a snow storm busted out the energy/lights and dude slept at the foot of the fireplace he used to keep them warm, so that when it went out, he could heat it up again and keep the family warm...Sacrifice, another mark of a "man".

Ever look at how a man's body is built? It is utilitarian. It is built for providing and protecting. A woman's body is softer and sweeter and built for procreation. If any "man" has any doubt as to what he needs to be, look at himself in the mirror. To be a man in dating and a RL is to be strong provider/protector - like the body given to him.

This tread is an example of how we have lost our ways with the confusion brought on by the women's movement and feminism. All this gender is fluid and both men/women are the same has men losing their way/purpose in this world - even when it comes to dating/relationships.

Also, a man command's "respect"...

Tired of hearing story after story of men who literally have given up their testicles to their women out of fear...like a doormat.

"Nice guy" = doormat/boy

"Good guy" = man

Again, my fav podcaster had a call about a guy who's mother-in-law literally in front of him and his kids tells the kids to go ask their mother when they have a question about something that can be answered by mom or him. Guess what his wife says about her bully of a mother? 'Awww, sorry she doesn't like you much'.

Mind you, dude's been tolerating this for 10 years. And I guess he's finally getting fed up. So, my fav podcaster told him to stop it, cuz his daughters are learning that men's opinions don't matter and they will treat their men with the same disrespect. So, for him, next time mom-in-law pulls that crap, to correct her and tell the girls that he is right here and to ask him....PERIOD. And to never allow his mom-in-law back in their home cuz he's the man of that home and is not to be disrespected.

Gosh darn, dude was being disrespected by his wife and mom-in-law for 10 years and just sat there and took it!!!

So, in dating/RLs, a "man" commands respect.

He doesn't shower/smother a woman with expensive dates - especially the first ones when he just met her. He doesn't pay for her way and/or other kids. He stands up for himself.

I don't want to distract from this thread, but same way males have standards that make them "men", their "reward" for being men is "women".

Now what standard are women held by?

Well, now a days, women have no standards they have to rise to in order for to be a "reward" for a man. Back in the day, women were taught to be chaste, discerning in who they date/sleep with (if they ever dare have sex). Women were also taught "feminine wiles", how to cook/clean/etc. They knew how to treat their men with dignity and respect, how to raise children, and how to make a "house" into a "home". They managed the home, money, etc.

Not anymore. Women are more worried about a career and "outsource" cooking, cleaning, sexing. They are crass and abrupt. They disrespect their husbands and diss their kids. They are "wife" and "mother" in title only. They don't even care about their appearances either. They gain weight and/or could care less about looking nice for their men. It's a "take it or leave it" attitude now a days.

And sadly, that's the state we live in now a days...women no longer have expectations for a "male" to be a "man" and/or even know what to look for in a "man" and same goes for men...men are clueless as to what is "wife/mother" material.

We have "partnerships" instead of man/wife. Two people living under the same roof, who occasionally have sex, make a few kids and concentrate on paying the bills. The daycares and/or public schools "raise" the kids. Maids are hired to clean. Cooking consists of fast food. I call it "cohabitation" rather than "raising a family".

BronzeAgeJaeger217
I don't want to distract from this thread, but same way males have standards that make them "men", their "reward" for being men is "women".

Now what standard are women held by?

Well, now a days, women have no standards they have to rise to in order for to be a "reward" for a man. Back in the day, women were taught to be chaste, discerning in who they date/sleep with (if they ever dare have sex). Women were also taught "feminine wiles", how to cook/clean/etc. They knew how to treat their men with dignity and respect, how to raise children, and how to make a "house" into a "home". They managed the home, money, etc.

Not anymore. Women are more worried about a career and "outsource" cooking, cleaning, sexing. They are crass and abrupt. They disrespect their husbands and diss their kids. They are "wife" and "mother" in title only. They don't even care about their appearances either. They gain weight and/or could care less about looking nice for their men. It's a "take it or leave it" attitude now a days.

And sadly, that's the state we live in now a days...women no longer have expectations for a "male" to be a "man" and/or even know what to look for in a "man" and same goes for men...men are clueless as to what is "wife/mother" material.

We have "partnerships" instead of man/wife. Two people living under the same roof, who occasionally have sex, make a few kids and concentrate on paying the bills. The daycares and/or public schools "raise" the kids. Maids are hired to clean. Cooking consists of fast food. I call it "cohabitation" rather than "raising a family".

That's why I've heard people say " women are born, men are made"

LoveRefreshed

Won't somebody tell me, answer if you can!

Want somebody tell me, what is the soul of a man

I'm going to ask the question, answer if you can

If anybody here can tell me, what is the soul of a man?

I've traveled in different countries, I've traveled foreign lands

I've found nobody to tell me, what is the soul of a man

I saw a crowd stand talking, I came up right on time

Were hearing the doctor and the lawyer, say a man ain't nothing but his mind

I read the bible often, I tries to read it right

As far as I can understand, a man is more than his mind

When Christ stood in the temple, the people stood amazed

Was showing the doctors and the lawyers, how to raise a body from the grave

A man treats others well, pays his own way, gets it done (whatever "it" may be), is as prepared as possible, and draws from the strength of being in control of his life. Confidence and self esteem come from these things.

The amount of money you make has nothing to do with it.

LoveRefreshed

Alright, I didn't know how serious we were all being for this post.

I think if you gotta ask what a man is, you're probably not one.

Anyway...

A man just gets it done. There's no ****ing whining, there's no excuse making. You just get the job done because the job is there, and it needs to get done and it ain't gonna do it itself. You don't wait around to be told to do it, you do it. Men are decisive, men are independent, men are confident.

Men are proud, we don't take hand outs. We make our own way no matter what. When **** hits the fan, we know we can take it, because we've been doing it. We don't push other down to stay above, we pull others up.

We have conviction. We aren't fence sittin flip floppers. We win the bread, we pay the bills, we provide. Oh yeah, this is 2015, lolwtf

Men and women are equal, duh.

No really, took once a feminist class, it was "women in science", but basically we just got told over and over again about how us men are the fault of sexism (not society, but us men, specifically) so I decided to do my final presentation on (forget the exact name of the movement) but about boys are forced into rigid stereotypes and face sexist persecution, just like women. I don't think she liked it that I said, instead of whining about it, we usually just step up.

Anyway, it was my jab at her. I understand sexism, but I also want to point out that society forces men into such rigid gender roles, that by the age of adolescence, we only have the tools to communicate a very few subset of emotions. That in this inability to express our selves, frustration presence itself, and one of the few emotions we are allowed to have is anger. Otherwise we're called fags.

So men can be angry, we can be aggressive, pissed off, frustrated, happy. But for ****s sakes, don't be sad. Don't be soft, don't be kind. If you are, you're a faggot, and you become an outcast of society.

So you wanna know what a man is? A man ****ing understands this, and he braves the feminist cunt ****s to open a door on the offchance that maybe the girl will smile and thank him and treat him kindly. We carry and bury pains so no one sees. And when the world looks at us, we smile and say, it was ****ing nothing, bro.

I just do what I do, and I feel pretty manly. And when I don't, I put on dirty clothes, I eat beef jerky, fart, and cat call girls jogging down the road. That's about as man as it gets.

BOOM. Found it. It was called the boys code. Now if I can only find my presentation of that time.

https://pta.org/members/content.cfm?ItemNumber=2257

Edited by LoveRefreshed
BOOM HEADSHOT