Is It a Date?

Ahh yes, the age old question.

Two days ago I had a pretty deep conversation with a girl that works in my office about conflict, arguing styles, and people who fight dirty during disagreements. We discovered we are strikingly similar in our handling of arguments or debates etc.

Fast forward to today, I was shooting the breeze with her and she asked if I'd like to join her for a movie.

So it begs the question. Is it a date? I'm defaulting to no, because I'd rather it be a no, and be wrong than think it was and be wrong.

Has there been any hint of interest from her? Think carefully. How does she talk to you? Is it total "lost-in-your-eyes" eye contact? Does she physically touch your arm or shoulder or anything like that? Is there a hint of flirting in what she says? Etc. Find the cues.

If you do go to a movie just be prepared that it might have been a date and to deal with the consequences of that and how you would handle it going well or going badly. If you don't want it to be a date, don't go to the movie.

If you act like it's not a date, it won't be a date, even if she thought it was, and that would suck. But if you act like it is, it very well may be. I'd say err on the side of date.

• Like 1

Because you work with her, I'd say play it safe. If you didn't work with her I'd tell you to lean more towards the "date" side.

• Like 2
  • Author

I'm not going to be altering my behavior based on whether or not it's a date, I don't mean the question like that. I am who I am all the time in all circumstances, or I just sit there quietly.

She isn't the type of person that would be the touchy Feely type, or the play with her hair type either. She's more of a quiet intellectual type than your typical girl.

Oh crap I just remembered she's like 6 years older than I am.

At a certain point age shouldn't matter. No offense but judging by your profile pic you ain't no spring chicken yourself. It would be different if you were younger. If you're both mature enough and you like each other, why not give it a shot? It all depends how she feels about you though. Don't make something out of nothing.

Of course it's a date. Snap out of it bro! ;)

how do you know this? could just be her wanting to hang out and nothing else to do?

6 years older than you, eh? Just try not to call her Mrs. Robinson on your date. ;)

Yes, it's a date. Enjoy yourself. Have a nice office romance as long as she's not your supervisor and can't fire you if you dump her.

• Like 1
how do you know this? could just be her wanting to hang out and nothing else to do?

It's never just wanting to hang out and nothing else to do. She asked him to go do a thing with her. That's asking to go out, and going out is a date unless it was your mom who asked.

• Like 1

I thought Keenly was in his early 20's. Six years can be a big deal then. Even if he isn't, both he and the woman in question are entitled to their dating preferences.

Anyway...

Would you be interested in dating her? Then use it as an opportunity to try and date her. In other words, treat it as if it were a date. If you have zero interest in dating her, make the experience unequivocally platonic.

Only she knows if it's a date. Why worry one way or the other? Go enjoy the time with her and see where it leads if you're interested. And 6 years age difference is nothing.

• Author
At a certain point age shouldn't matter. No offense but judging by your profile pic you ain't no spring chicken yourself. It would be different if you were younger. If you're both mature enough and you like each other, why not give it a shot? It all depends how she feels about you though. Don't make something out of nothing.

I'm 25, haha. But I'm old on the inside.

Six years isn't the end of the world or anything. Just makes me nervous is all.

Whether or not I like to date her, I'm not sure. I know the work personality. I can tell it's going to take a while to see what she is really like. Patience may play a part here, but indifference will have to suffice until I get more of a feel on the situation.

I'm not nervou, no worries. I ask because in trying to figure it out I couldn't come up with an answer. This situation is one of the great mysteries of life. Perhaps there shouldn't be an answer?

autumnnight

If you are 25, then she is 31. You should be safe. But if you ever date a woman over 35, you better take some B-12 lol

• Like 1
I'm not going to be altering my behavior based on whether or not it's a date, I don't mean the question like that. I am who I am all the time in all circumstances, or I just sit there quietly.

Then why does it matter if it's a date or not?

• Author
Then why does it matter if it's a date or not?

Does it matter? Not really. Is it fun to think about? Yes.

It's inconsequential, but still entertaining to me to try and figure it out.

She works in my building, but for a different company doing on site services. There is not much job related interaction between the two of us.

• Like 1
Does it matter? Not really. Is it fun to think about? Yes.

It's inconsequential, but still entertaining to me to try and figure it out.

She works in my building, but for a different company doing on site services. There is not much job related interaction between the two of us.

Well maybe you'll be nicer to her if you think she likes you. :p

• Author

*sad trombone*

Followed up for a showtime and she postponed. She has an exotic weapons tournament coming up and her instructor wasn't very pleased when she informed him that she'd be missing a practice session.

Seems farfetched, but it does line up with things she has said in the past. She is an avid user \ student of exotic and martial weaweapons, and we've talked about her previous tourneys.

I'll just ask for sometime next week.

*sad trombone*

Followed up for a showtime and she postponed. She has an exotic weapons tournament coming up and her instructor wasn't very pleased when she informed him that she'd be missing a practice session.

Seems farfetched, but it does line up with things she has said in the past. She is an avid user \ student of exotic and martial weaweapons, and we've talked about her previous tourneys.

I'll just ask for sometime next week.

I think its important she practises using her "exotic weapons";):o

So she's 31? That's too old bro, you might as well be dating your mom. Do they allow wheelchairs with a drip at the movies and have you got any adult diapers for her just in case?

Edited by wb1988
  • Like 1