Do you think of giving roses on the first date?

Sommie789

Giving flowers on date one is better left for the fantasy world of movies and TV. It's especially a bad idea on internet dates - you two don't even know if you are attracted to each other before you meet. Besides, flowers and gifts don't make someone love you, you can't buy love... all it will do is make a fellows' wallet lighter.

Give flowers when it counts, when it's special - when they love you.

• Like 5
rocketman122

I always brought a rose on a first date. all my dates were excellent and I always got kissing sessions. always. in the US, traditional courting is dead. feminism and equality bs killed that. a guy is seen as desperate or corny or lost of he brings a rose. but wth do americans know about dating. look at the site and realize 70% of the people here are bitter single people who are bad in relationships and give their opinions to others. every other post of a eprson asks for help and opinion, the clear answer is move on/red flag/find someone else. look for yourself and see. ask the people here when they even dated and they will tell you years ago. its like the fat doctor who tell you that you need to be on a diet.

do what you feel. Im a very romantic person. I enjoy bringing a rose to my date and the dates were always happy when I gave it to them. I always got a hug and aww thats so sweet comment and it broke the ice very quickly. I stand out from the others and have a lot of success with dates.

the women I date are between 40-45 so they appreciate it more. the young females today dont know what chivalry is if smacked them across the face. they want to get their own door and wonder why you stand up when she says shes going to the bathroom or if you pull out her chair.

dont waste your energy on those that dont appreciate those things. there are many women who look for that. feministos can drop dead for all I care. they are scum who only ruined it for themselves. guys are not commiting so quickly today and just having a good time screwing women and dumping them.

• Like 1

Depends entirely on the person/ people involved.

Nothing is ever so black and white.

I plan on taking my date a tub of butter tonight... Some may think that is just plain weird and it probably is but there is a reason behind it and I am sure he will appreciate it. Perhaps I should selotape a rose to it :laugh:

If someone is a bit hesitant or standing back give them space. If they are full on and you feel the same way why not.

• Like 1
12 red roses - cringe.

I don't think I could fit 12 of them on the top of a tub of butter... Thats a heck of a lot of selotape... Perhaps I should grab a roll of parcel tape from the office on my way out... :lmao:

Do you think 12 carnations would work instead?

I am dating someone now who always gave me one rose for the first few dates. I loved it. No harm at all in doing so.

If someone is weirded out by it they're probably not the right person for you.

I would prefer to receive a rose on our 3rd or 4th date as it would mean something. On our first date you don't know me, you've never seen me, so it kind of lose its special meaning.

• Like 3
LoveMachine67

I do a single rose on first dates. In today's dating scene, I wonder if it would be considered creepy to give more than single rose??

• Like 3
I do a single rose on first dates. In today's dating scene, I wonder if it would be considered creepy to give more than single rose??

Yes.

May I ask why would you invest in buying several roses to a woman you never met ? for all you know she could be married or nothing like her pictures.

• Like 2

Personally, for me, what would totally make my heart flutter would be bringing flower at the second date.

Second date kind of means there is interest on both part. I would tend to interpret flowers at the first date as an attempt to 'manipulate' my interest (for lack of a better word...)

Also, you should spend money on women you know are interested in you. Spending money on first dates can only lead to discomfort from the recipient (AKA Great now I feel like I owe him something) and frustration from the giver (AKA I'm sick of spending money on women who end up not being interested in me!!)

• Like 5

Spending 60 to 100 bucks on a woman that you don't even know yet? Wouldn't you feel silly if she didn't accept a second date or ran out on the first one? :) I wouldn't be impressed by that myself. To me it would come off as the guy being a little desperate.

• Like 1

I don't find it odd to give a single red rose.

Primarily because you both agreed to go on a date with each other. There's already interest and a small display like that always works with me. It is small and thoughtful to the degree that yes, you don't know each other but ladies like flowers and they smell nice and it makes for a good story.

• Like 1
autumnnight

I think it depends. If you have been communicating with someone a long time and there is already a strong connection, maybe not. For a first OLD date where you just shared a few texts...probably way too much.

I would be touched by a single rose. But if a man gave me a couple of lilies (my favorite), I'd be putty. lol

I agree with the poster above who said it is not a black and white issue.

• Like 1
I think it depends. If you have been communicating with someone a long time and there is already a strong connection, maybe not. For a first OLD date where you just shared a few texts...probably way too much.

I would be touched by a single rose. But if a man gave me a couple of lilies (my favorite), I'd be putty. lol

I agree with the poster above who said it is not a black and white issue.

I agree, do the one rose on a first date with someone you've known for a while maybe? A friend?

• Like 1

I'm somewhat old fashion in this dept. I think it's very gentlemanly to get a nice simple and small bouquet of mixed flowers on a first date.

• Like 2
LoveMachine67
Yes.

May I ask why would you invest in buying several roses to a woman you never met ? for all you know she could be married or nothing like her pictures.

Very valid points, Gaeta.

Guess I'm too "old school", and probably explains my ongoing dating woes.. :confused:

rocketman122

one rose is nice. ask to put a single branch of babys breath with it. very nice gesture. one is enough.

the first date is always a bit awkward at first and people hold their cards close to their chest and have their guard up. when I brought the rose they always smiled and even turned a bit red and it softened the situation and made things flow right away.

you should be able to tell if they would apprecate you bringing the rose from the first call you do. I learn a lot about who they are by the call.

• Like 2

I agree that flowers/roses are fine, but keep it reigned in. One rose forex says that you're sweet and thoughtful, but a dozen or some type of complicated arrangement starts to creep into "ok maybe this guy's thinking big picture way too far ahead" land.

• Like 1

If it is a real date, and not an internet meeting, I think it's sweet. I would tend towards a non-rose bouquet or a single rose to avoid going over the top. Don't spend more than $10 or so.

I have received gifts in the first 1-2 *real* dates as frequently as I haven't. I don't think it is a dead custom in the United States at all.

One of my favorite first dates brought a book he thought I'd be interested in to our first real date. I happened to have brought him a toy reminiscent of our conversations. It didn't work out, ultimately, but I was charmed.

I say no to flowers for an internet first date, and probably no to flowers on any first date unless you have already met and know you're attracted. Flowers are meaningful if I feel like they are for me and me only, not if I sense you buy them for everyone. And if we haven't met before, how could they possibly be just for me?

A flower at later dates (say between date 2 and 5) would be more meaningful and special, because then we have already established that there is some sort of attraction and it feels more personal.

Nope. Too early in the process for that sort of thing. Rose has special significance and you both have to be feeling a connection for it to mean something.

This reminds me of when a male spider tries to mate with a female spider. If the male spider thinks he's worthy then he just goes for it, but if he thinks he's beneath her then he brings a fly (or whatever) as an offering to compensate.

Try to imagine if you went on a date and the girl brought you a rose/s, you'd probably think that she has a hard time getting dates right?