first date question

so a guy presented me with tickets (first date) to a concert and i said yes. i have patiently waited several months for him to make any kind of move. the problem: he's 22 years older and picked a band and headliner who i don't know and hadn't heard of. i've been youtubing some videos to see who these people are and i think my dad used to listen to them, lol. how do i manage to be at a concert and have fun when i know none of the songs? :-( it's the Hollywood Bowl, and he suggested a picnic too, but i'm not excited. i did tell him i don't know the performers, but already the age gap is showing :-( i like to have an 'upper hand' on dates and when someone picks something i am unfamiliar with it's very stressful and anxiety-producing. how to manage being a fun date when you're not in familiar territory? i won't even be able to sing-along.

Who is the band?

Must admit I wouldn't buy tickets for someone if they didn't know the band that I wanted to see.

Having said that some bands are very good live even when you don't know the band as such. There's often a lot of the music that you do recognise.

Shining One

This issue comes up in same age couples too. Heck, I've been to Spanish concerts and I don't speak the language. I still had fun. Just enjoy the music and the company.

Versacehottie
so a guy presented me with tickets (first date) to a concert and i said yes. i have patiently waited several months for him to make any kind of move. the problem: he's 22 years older and picked a band and headliner who i don't know and hadn't heard of. i've been youtubing some videos to see who these people are and i think my dad used to listen to them, lol. how do i manage to be at a concert and have fun when i know none of the songs? :-( it's the Hollywood Bowl, and he suggested a picnic too, but i'm not excited. i did tell him i don't know the performers, but already the age gap is showing :-( i like to have an 'upper hand' on dates and when someone picks something i am unfamiliar with it's very stressful and anxiety-producing. how to manage being a fun date when you're not in familiar territory? i won't even be able to sing-along.

ok, I don't like a lot of the bands/concerts (music itself) that is at hollywood bowl. That said, I always have a good time there and have seen concerts I would NEVER go see for the music. I'm assuming from the way you said it you've never been. It can be pretty romantic and the atmosphere is good. Concentrate on that. Also new and different experiences can give spark to things as well. Just go with the flow. Concentrate on your connection with the guy and be relaxed about the rest. I think when you are with the right person the activity doesn't really matter too much. Even a bad activity can be a bonding opportunity. You can tease him about his older taste in music and bridge the age gap. He definitely is trying to do something nice for you. The picnic portion of hollywood bowl usually includes wine. Most people bring but you can buy there also. Have some of that to loosen up. You don't need to be in familiar territory to have a fun date. The uncertainty and risks is part of what creates the excitement. Just go with it.

Have a fun date. And give it some time before you make your mind up about this guy and the age gap. Sounds like you've been wanting him for a while--there must be a reason for that :) good luck

• Like 1
  • Author
ok, I don't like a lot of the bands/concerts (music itself) that is at hollywood bowl. That said, I always have a good time there and have seen concerts I would NEVER go see for the music. I'm assuming from the way you said it you've never been. It can be pretty romantic and the atmosphere is good. Concentrate on that. Also new and different experiences can give spark to things as well. Just go with the flow. Concentrate on your connection with the guy and be relaxed about the rest. I think when you are with the right person the activity doesn't really matter too much. Even a bad activity can be a bonding opportunity. You can tease him about his older taste in music and bridge the age gap. He definitely is trying to do something nice for you. The picnic portion of hollywood bowl usually includes wine. Most people bring but you can buy there also. Have some of that to loosen up. You don't need to be in familiar territory to have a fun date. The uncertainty and risks is part of what creates the excitement. Just go with it.

Have a fun date. And give it some time before you make your mind up about this guy and the age gap. Sounds like you've been wanting him for a while--there must be a reason for that :) good luck

thank you, great advice. and he did ask if i like wine, so i guess that will be part of the plan, too. and yeah, i have never been there so that makes me nervous too. i like familiar territory i guess :-)

• Like 1