Do women like dudes with great personalities?

singlelife

singlelife

I know some guys who are ugly but have great personalities. They have women all the time. I'm confused. Are looks not important anymore?

VengeanceGuidesMe
I know some guys who are ugly but have great personalities. They have women all the time. I'm confused. Are looks not important anymore?

Man, looks, personality... It's not all of A or all of B, or any particular X in the alphabet man. It's if you spell a word. It's the whole package. A great looker may pull a lot of tail, but if he's an idiot and empty, a woman of substance won't see him as datable.

It's all about if you find someone you want to share your life with, and they in turn feel the same way.

There is no simple answer or thing that solves anyone's dating issues.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
I see the trolls coming for miles = suspension!
  • Like 7
Arieswoman

singlelife,

define "ugly" ?????

Some of my girlfriends are married to great guys. From my point of view they are kind, reliable, honest, caring, intelligent, smart, great with kids, can cook etc etc etc

But from my point of view, as regards looks they are just not attractive, and the idea of getting into a clinch with any of them makes my flesh crawl.

Isn't it a good job that we don't all like the same thing, as some guys would be killed in the rush ? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just about everyone likes hanging about with people with great personalities, why would women be any different?

• Like 1

Folks, we have a member here in good standing for, wait for it, nearly seven years and trust me when I tell you if you call this member, or any member, a troll, you're suspended. Don't do it!

Now, excellent question. Discuss the aspects of personality women like in men and how personality compares to looks in the process of romance and mating. That's what this web site is all about. Thanks!

Personality is 100% a make or break it thing for me.

I need a strong emotional connection, mental and emotional intimacy.

I can't do that with someone who lacks personality.

• Like 5

Personality has a HUGE importance to me in dating someone. I've been out on dates with women that were 8's or 9's in looks but zero in personality. I couldn't get away fast enough!

I've also been out with women who were 5's in looks that had personalities that made them 10's!!

For me, it has to be a combination of both. Yes, you have to be attracted to someone but if you're on the fence about how attracted you are to them when you meet and then they blow you away w/great personalities, you can get hooked!

• Like 2
LoveRefreshed

"Are looks not important anymore?"

Well, philosophically, what do you mean anymore?

I mean at some age, people grow up and realize there is more to life than someone's appearance.

• Like 2
  • Author
singlelife
Personality has a HUGE importance to me in dating someone. I've been out on dates with women that were 8's or 9's in looks but zero in personality. I couldn't get away fast enough!

I've also been out with women who were 5's in looks that had personalities that made them 10's!!

For me, it has to be a combination of both. Yes, you have to be attracted to someone but if you're on the fence about how attracted you are to them when you meet and then they blow you away w/great personalities, you can get hooked!

I see what you're saying.

Personally I've been very attracted to some unattractive people because they had amazing personalities or were very intelligent. For me it has always been books before looks.

• Author
singlelife
Personally I've been very attracted to some unattractive people because they had amazing personalities or were very intelligent. For me it has always been books before looks.

I guess it's the feeling they give off? Women need stimulation.

Personality is 100% a make or break it thing for me.

I need a strong emotional connection, mental and emotional intimacy.

I can't do that with someone who lacks personality.

Yea personality matters but is she looks like Susan Boyle no thanks .

• Like 1
avintagegirl

For me personality trumps every time. If a man is smart and can make me laugh, that is hotter than any set of six pack abs.

I would much rather be wooed with words than appearances.

• Like 2
amaysngrace

I don't know if it's a great personality or what that gives a person a great vibe but you definitely know them when you're near them.

They are just real easy to be around.

I had this guy I use to work with. He looked like Tom Selleck's brother. Very good looking guy, tall, etc.. We use to go out and the girls loved him at first.. he then opened his mouth and scared them all away. Great guy but he's wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer..

Another guy friend of my sisters was MAYBE a 5 in looks. Holy cow was he a charismatic guy that bubbled a fun, very confident, outgoing personality. Women LLOOVVVEEEDD him. He took me out to a bar one time and he was absolutely fearless. He spent the night on the dance floor with the best looking women in the bar. He left w/multiple phones numbers as well.

• Like 1
  • Author
singlelife
I had this guy I use to work with. He looked like Tom Selleck's brother. Very good looking guy, tall, etc.. We use to go out and the girls loved him at first.. he then opened his mouth and scared them all away. Great guy but he's wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer..

Another guy friend of my sisters was MAYBE a 5 in looks. Holy cow was he a charismatic guy that bubbled a fun, very confident, outgoing personality. Women LLOOVVVEEEDD him. He took me out to a bar one time and he was absolutely fearless. He spent the night on the dance floor with the best looking women in the bar. He left w/multiple phones numbers as well.

That's a cool story. Sounds like the hot guy was boring.

the men are only ugly by your standard and are obviously attractive to the women who date them. not many women will have sex with an ugly man just for fun, so you can bet they find them at least attractive enough to kiss and sleep with. it's all in the beholder and you can't judge for others' eyes

• Like 1
MightyHeracross

WHAT A DANG CONUNDRUM! I wonder the same thing

In my opinion, I think that looks are what initially attracts a girl, but personality is what keeps them.

I mean, it makes sense... How can a girl even like a guys personality if she never talks to him? And what reason would a girl have to talk to a guy she has never met (so she doesn't know his personality) other than his looks?

Obviously, attitude play a role. If you walk in like you own the place, you will come off as more attractive. Not sure if that is really your personality, or just the look you give off, but it definitely comes into play.

If you, or anyone reading this, wouldn't mind, if love to hear your 2 cents! http://www.loveshack.org/forums/romantic/dating/534676-i-m-really-crushing-family-friend-again#post6412186

• Like 1
todreaminblue

hey single life.....

great personality is inner beauty...the thing with inner beauty is you dont need cosmetic surgery to change your personality......you can just choose to be a good person with a well developed character ....its not that hard to do.and its free...

SOME people who are told often they are beautiful ..all the time....emphasis on SOME....rest their laurels on physical beauty they possess and dont develop a discernable character....they dont look on improvement or development of character as necessary..maybe a slight sense of automatic entitlement.....but someone who has to work on being noticed for something other than a visible beauty...far more appreciates recognition and do not have that air or sensed air of entitlement ...they have done the hard yards....that person develops a really desirable set of traits....a fully formed character that ...sees character in others........that make them...inherently beautiful....

as satu has stated ...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and only a person of a true and genuine character would know who when and where to look deeper for true beauty...everyone deserves to be loved......that's what humanity is meant to be about.....love...beauty....and genuine sight...its all freely given to every baby ever born.......its up to us to develop that sight and i guess that's when we know how to love someone truly................deb

• Like 1
PrettyEmily77

I need both in equal measure to be contemplating a LTR - not one to make up for the other. I can't have a physical relation with someone I'm not very attracted to physically, and I can't have an emotional bond with someone I don't respect, admire or share dreams and passions with. I can't compromise on either and I'm lucky I don't have to.

• Like 3

I think both men and women are scared of a partner that is above average good lookin', like that person must have a difficult personality or be a nuts in some ways. Well, let me tell you, not such good lookin' people are just as screwed up, if not more, because of their frustrations.

Great personality is an overintellectualisation of choosing an ugly partner - a reassuring choice, an excuse to date down. Women with low self esteem date down all the time, irrelevant of their looks.

This is not to say that personality isn't important, God, not! Of course personality is core. However, people do discriminate when it comes to attractive people - like they can't possibly have the full package. Imagine that, a pretty chick with great personality that your mates start thinking that she's cooler / more fun than you... nope, not threatening at all :D !

When I met my last long term partner for the first time, at the moment I saw him I thought to myself 'no no no not gonna happen' He was really not my type but 5 mins after talking to him I had decided I wanted to see him again.

• Like 1

When i was at uni i was considered a `bit pretty` being a full on `indie` kid.... (Cough....cough.....)

I`d get hit on by some quite intellectual girls from the Philosophy group. (During happy hour)

I had no idea what they were talking about half the time but mostly it boiled down to sex....and how they.......

I would just grin like some brainless idiot.....

Seemed to work.....

However now i am more mature my personality is very much at the forefront of everything which girls find attractive about me.....

But....flash the long lashes and the wide eyed incomprehension returns......

Seriously though a combination of both is pretty essential......

• Like 2
Curious-One

OMG this is exactly what i feel like. As a matter of fact in the past 3 months i have rejected 2 girls that are extremely attractive but legit had the personality of a brick! When i went out with them they made the conversation so awkward/boring that i could not wait to get away from them and actually have fun.

Compare that to another girl i met recently and the first time i met her i felt nothing as in i talked to her and didnt even think about asking her out or the posibility of dating her/having sex with her. Compare that to the two girls i mentioned above where the first time i met them i was going OMG THIS GIRL IS HOT I NEED TO PULL OF SOME SERIOUS MAGIC TO GET A DATE W HER I WOULD LOVE TO BANG THE **** OUT OF HER. Anyway going back to mediocre girl ...i talked to her second time and the whole time we ended up laughing/joking. I ran into her third time and once again she made the conversation very fun and we ended up laughing alot. Once again next time i talked to her we ended up laughing and i legit explained i freaking love your amazing personality whats your number i want to spend more time with you.