Big telltale signs with online dating profile pics and summaries

What are 3 big telltale signs that someone likely wont be your type when browsing profiles?

1. Angle pics with no full body shot - Shes hiding her weight and I instantly do not message online or I swipe left on Tinder. I'd prefer a girl who's thick or skinny and confident in it.

I went on a date with a couple girls who used fancy shots and lighting to hide their true weight. Id say I kinda knew going in which girls were likely to be bigger than Id hope. But one time, a girl was a lot skinnier than I anticipated and I was stunned at how she was able to hide that...because she did have good pictures.

Either they were old, or I simply got fooled by the lighting.

2. She never smiles - Usually the girl has bad teeth. At least thats been my experience. Yeah I know everyone wont have a perfect smile. But Ive gone to meet someone and been instantly turned off by their teeth because they were that bad.

While I prefer straight teeth that are closer to white...I can accept crooked teeth, and slight off color. But I cannot accept when it looks like the woman never cared much for dental hygiene or never took time to fix any dental issues she has.

3. Phrases like "Short men need not apply" or "I was raised to expect a man who...." - Instant turn offs...and Im a guy whos comfortably in the average height range and loves to please his lady in particular ways.

I simply find it a turnoff if a woman lacks tact or comes across entitled. I don't need to have your expectations thrown in my face before I even meet. And I find comments about someones looks to lack class when thrown in a profile.

Ladies, do you ever see guys say "chubby women need not apply" or "I expect a woman that...*insert expectation*"? Ugh...so annoying that anyone would write any of that stuff. There's better ways to word what you want without looking like a douche or a b!tch.

• Like 5

She doesn't want short dudes the way you don't want jacked up teeth.

With that said, I'd agree that a lot of women are really crappy at writing online profiles. Men are more willing to treat a woman like a princess/queen if they don't sense that the woman expects to be treated like a princess/queen. Funny how that works!

Edited by S_A
  • Like 1
SycamoreCircle

Ha ha...this is great. I think there should be a book published dealing with this subject. Here's some things that always alert my radar:

-Pouting lips. It's a woman, no it's a fish, it's...Supermodel...

-Aerial boob shot and/or hoisting of boobage where there is none.

-Gratuitous tattoo reveal. OK, so you're really proud of that tattoo of a seahorse on the underside of your upper arm, but the way you're holding your arm in that photo makes it clear THIS is the most interesting part about you.

-List of interests that exhibit linear association and little variation. Ex: "I love music---Radiohead, Thom Yorke, Interpol, Joy Division, The Smiths, New Order, Depeche Mode etc."

This indicates they were either too lazy to think of things they like that aren't customarily grouped together or they just consider culture in drab and sheepish terms.

-List of interests that are so obscure and high-brow, you wonder if this person sh;ts Faberge eggs. Just be real. You can like Jean-Luc Godard and Good Times without consequence.

*Pardon these last two folks---I deal with a lot of this in NYC.

-Multiple pet shots. I'm glad you care for your animal, now detach it from your navel.

-As Kaylan posted, anything that attempts to preemptively draw lines in the sand. You should be intelligent enough to discern if I'm only interested in getting into your pants. You should be intelligent enough to discern that I'm only interested in playing xBox.

Edited by SycamoreCircle
  • Like 3

I am slender and work out, but never posted a body pic on OLD. I didn't want anyone to be judging me and choosing me based on that, and did not necessarily want to broadcast photos of my body to the dating world. I wanted a bit more privacy than that... not to HIDE something.

I often smile with my mouth closed in photos simply because when I do a full grin I can look really silly, not because I'm hiding my teeth. My eyes crinkle up and if I'm laughing a bit my nose might scrunch up... so I keep it simple and smile with my mouth closed.

Why is EVERYTHING someone does on the internet, an indicator that someone is hiding something?

I posted a simple, clear, straight on headshot taken with a DSLR. I had light makeup, hair straight, and a simple closed mouth smile. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Here's a few of mine (equally applicable to men and women):

- Only one profile photo and it's not even a straight on picture, it's a profile or something. I like multiple photos so I can kind of see the "average" of the person.

- Sunglasses in every profile photo. People look completely different with sunglasses on.

- Distant photos only, no close up face shot.

- Photos with drugged tigers, standing with car / motorbike photos, any sign of guns or camouflage

- Negative statements "I don't play games", "why isn't anybody honest on this site", "nobody will give me a chance". Makes me think you have a chip on your shoulder and will likely come into dating angry.

- A long list of exactly what their perfect person would look, act and smell like. Makes me think you're looking for perfection and are very narrow in who you would consider.

- A specified body type (must be active/ fit / slim). I'm in decent shape, but I just assume someone who needs to specify what type of body someone should have has very narrow requirements.

• Like 4
SycamoreCircle
- Photos with drugged tigers
:lmao::lmao::lmao:Excellent! I would like to add to this---any and all interior SUV selfies.
  • Like 1
lana-banana

When I was dating online I had a few similar shortcuts.

1. Dudes who say they like a "down-to-earth girl" who's "laid back" and "drama free". This is lazy, shows zero creativity and goes without saying: is there anyone out there looking for a neurotic, high-strung insane person who surrounds herself with melodrama? Be original. (The female equivalent, according to my guy friends, is stuff like "loves to laugh" and "just as comfortable in sweatpants as a little black dress".)

2. Any mention of Ayn Rand, Rand and/or Ron Paul. 'Nuff said.

3. Ending sentences with "lol"

4. Using "lol" at all

5. Family Guy fans

Other than that I was pretty open. #1 alone weeds out a good 50% of profiles.

• Like 2
I am slender and work out, but never posted a body pic on OLD. I didn't want anyone to be judging me and choosing me based on that, and did not necessarily want to broadcast photos of my body to the dating world. I wanted a bit more privacy than that... not to HIDE something.

I often smile with my mouth closed in photos simply because when I do a full grin I can look really silly, not because I'm hiding my teeth. My eyes crinkle up and if I'm laughing a bit my nose might scrunch up... so I keep it simple and smile with my mouth closed.

But why not show these guys what you actually look like?

You're not showing them what your body generally looks like, and you're not showing yourself smiling because you "look silly" when you smile? Well guess what, you'll "look silly" when you smile in person, too. Unless you never smile?

• Like 1

My top 3 clues that I won't get along with a guy:

1. Doesn't smile with teeth and has a hat on in every single picture.

2. References "drama." Tells me he's coming at the experience with a bad taste in his mouth.

3. Pictures posed in front of his toys, especially fancy cars and boats.

• Like 1
But why not show these guys what you actually look like?

You're not showing them what your body generally looks like, and you're not showing yourself smiling because you "look silly" when you smile? Well guess what, you'll "look silly" when you smile in person, too. Unless you never smile?

I think my face is enough to show what I actually look like. It was a clear photo that looked exactly like me. No blurriness, no angles, no trickery etc.

I don't want to show my body to gain a man's approval. Any man who nexted me because I couldn't "prove" that I wasn't hiding anything, was no match for me anyway. I put in the info "average" and if he wants to assume off the bat that that's a lie, then that's no way to start.

I don't mind looking silly in person. I'm quite happy to smile and laugh with a man, it's much more genuine and fluid in person, but I have no desire to post a photo on OLD where I look silly and goofy.

SycamoreCircle

Profiles where the woman is coyly lifting one of her arms exposing her inner wrist. This is an ultra-feminine gesture that smacks of "high-maintenance" or narcissism. It's manufactured and faddish like "the vocal fry." I've run across this numerous times during my OK Stupid scavenger hunts.

The only things that were particularly offputting to me when I did OLD was negative ranting about OLD, such as "so done with this crap, all these females are fake, if you wanna be real then message me yourself", or if the man had a shirtless photo up. Come on, just put clothes on!!

Otherwise, I didn't analyze whether a certain type of photo or if a specific phrase in their profile was an indicator of some horrible quality or that they were trying to hide something etc. All in all the photos and profile were nearly meaningless to me. I was more interested in what the people were saying to me in their messages and how they interacted with me. The profile simply confirmed that they were indeed a normal human being lol.

SycamoreCircle
The only things that were particularly offputting to me when I did OLD was negative ranting about OLD, such as "so done with this crap, all these females are fake, if you wanna be real then message me yourself", or if the man had a shirtless photo up. Come on, just put clothes on!!

Otherwise, I didn't analyze whether a certain type of photo or if a specific phrase in their profile was an indicator of some horrible quality or that they were trying to hide something etc. All in all the photos and profile were nearly meaningless to me. I was more interested in what the people were saying to me in their messages and how they interacted with me. The profile simply confirmed that they were indeed a normal human being lol.

I hear you, I understand, I respect your feelings. For me, and for a friend of mine who is a professional photographer a picture is worth a thousand words. And from dedicated field experience, we find most of our hunches to be reliable.

That's not to say words don't tell me a great deal, also.

introverted1

1. Guys who are into "cuddling" or who make what they think are clever references to their interest in oral sex.

2. Guys posting with a car/boat/plane/etc., or, conversely, guys who have cropped out the other person in the picture (a previous gf maybe?)

3. Angry guys.

SycamoreCircle

I would add, too that there's always exceptions. The faux pas I describe always must be understood in the context of the picture. A woman can raise her arm, exposing her inner wrist and the focus of the pic be something entirely different than what I mentioned above.

Likewise, I'm sure there's pics of women crouching next to drugged tigers that somehow become passable!:laugh:

yellowhibiscus

1).Guys who post pictures of themselves with other girls

2). Guys who say that one thing they are best at is "kissing" or "cuddling"...come on...

3). Guys who say they listen to Taylor Swift :laugh:

• Like 2
I hear you, I understand, I respect your feelings. For me, and for a friend of mine who is a professional photographer a picture is worth a thousand words. And from dedicated field experience, we find most of our hunches to be reliable.

That's not to say words don't tell me a great deal, also.

I feel like in many cases with OLD, people are trying so hard to convey a story with their photos. Putting so much effort into trying to express something so very specific...

and IMO, photos can be pretty open to interpretation. Anyone can assume any wild variety of things about a photo and be horribly wrong. I don't necessarily expect myself to be a master at accurately interpreting what someone is trying to convey.

And so, I relied on interactions instead. I wanted to TALK with men, not see their photos.

And in my own past OLD profile, posted just one simple picture. I wasn't interested in posting a variety of pictures that's trying to convey a certain image of myself that could be interpreted in any manner of ways. Seems like an easy way to have things get quite convoluted.

Instead, just a simple clear picture of my face. If my face is acceptable, then talk with me and go from there. Someone will get a MUCH better idea about me from interacting with me, than from seeing a variety of specially picked photos.

1) Women who "apologized" or where embarrassed to be OLD. Really?

2) Only head shots or chest up photos. You could often simply look at their upper arms and get an idea of their weight. I was very fit and wanted to find a women who shared the same health goals.

3) Not smiling in any photos

4) Looking slutty or grossly showing pictures of their cleavage or butts.

5) Coming across as angry or bitter

6) Spelling or grammar issues

7) Having 1/2 their pictures of their dog

8) Listing deal breakers that were stupid. Most of the women who only wanted guys so tall or had to have all their hair or whatever where not attractive and I'm surprised ANYONE would have contacted them.

9) Not showing any personality in their summaries. Sorry, you're marketing yourself and trying to attract people.

10) Women who grossly lied and said they were "toned and athletic" though the pictures showed otherwise. I filtered that.

11) Women who selected "Only want to casual date". Ok, so, you want the guy to wine and dine you but understand that it will never go anywhere? Um, yea..

12) Only pictures wearing sunglasses that cover 1/2 their face.

For a woman to get my attention, she needed to come across as genuine. Have several pictures of yourself that included smiling, full body shots, a nicely written profile and reasonable listing of interests that I may also enjoy. My GF's profile met all these things.

SycamoreCircle

Profiles where there's a ganglion of women. You can't tell whose profile it is!

"You can make me laugh." Yet, there's nothing in her profile slightly off-the-cuff or silly. Y'know what? If you're funny, I'm funny.

Shooting a gun. UNLESS, you're a gun enthusiast and enjoy spending spare time on the shooting range.

You laying in bed with your animal.

Links to your Instagram account with a bunch of pictures of your friends, graffiti and the poutine you scarfed at that dive bar. I don't know you, so why would I care?

• Author

Why is EVERYTHING someone does on the internet, an indicator that someone is hiding something?

I posted a simple, clear, straight on headshot taken with a DSLR. I had light makeup, hair straight, and a simple closed mouth smile. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

To answer your question, people are cautious about those who might hide something because so many people do in fact hide things on online dating.
  • Like 3

To claim that a guy would be attracted to you (or not) because of your body, and that that's not cool by you, is to deny the laws of basic human attraction. Who wants to meet a talking head? We want a whole person, and men being visual, will want to know what they're investing in.

• Like 2

Any picture containing middle fingers.

Any reference to being a "country girl" (my area is FULL of posers)

Any list that starts off with "don't message me if..."

Terrible spelling / grammar / Txt speak

Empty profiles, "ill fill this out later's " or any profile that says "just ask" or "ask me anything"

If shopping or money is listed in the hobby section.

If girls night out is in the "typical friday night" section.

If she lists the following:

Pansexual (pan anything really)

Polyamorous (any poly really)

Open relationship

"queer" (whatever that means for women)

All encourage the back button.

There are more, I'll come back with them some time.

• Like 1
To claim that a guy would be attracted to you (or not) because of your body, and that that's not cool by you, is to deny the laws of basic human attraction. Who wants to meet a talking head? We want a whole person, and men being visual, will want to know what they're investing in.

You're taking what I said and blowing it wildly out of proportion.

I don't place any kind of expectation on whether a man is or isn't attracted to my body, he either is or he isn't, and that's fine, but when it's such a HUGE make or break on whether a man would even talk to me, and I have to "prove" that I'm not hiding something, forget it.

Besides, women manipulate photos of their bodies all the time, use clever angles for that, mirrors, lighting, etc.

The only way ANYONE is gonna know anything for sure, is to interact with this person, and see them in real life.

How many folks have seen a perfectly acceptable variety of photos on an OLD account and then found it was trickery and the person did not look like that? Alot of folks.

Whether I posted body photos or not, men are clearly going to think they're being tricked. So I kept my body private instead of putting it out there for judgment on whether I'm worthy to date or not.

Besides, doing things the way I did them automatically filtered out men who wouldn't have been compatible with me in the first place.

Smile damn it! Are you that miserable?

Photos of three girls at a party...Umm, which one are you?

Girls who have cropped photos with their ex still partially showing.

Photos are all the same pose, expression, and composure.

Photos from all the countries they have visited..yeah, you've been to Thailand and Canada...great...?

Photos are super-stylised, black and white, silhouettes, sepia

Photos of food! I don't care what you ate last year!

Just...bad photos, out of focus, poorly exposed, unclear.

And EVERY girl wants: "A nice, genuine honest guy"

And profiles with a few hot photos, and NO TEXT...just "this is what I lopk like, and that's enough!" (Sadly, they are right, and will get hundreds of messages)

Girls who reply, like you, start to talk...then disappear...

Girls who "Don't want a casual fling" and then sleep with you on the first date (Actually I don't hate that)

• Like 1
  • Author

Phoe,

So you're ok with wasting someone's time and your own on the chance the guy decides not to see you again if he's not atracted physically in person. Ok

• Like 1