Signed up for OLD.... Now what???

LoveMachine67

LoveMachine67

I finally joined Match yesterday :sick:

Within minutes, even before my profile was approved, I started getting likes and chat requests from young hot babes way younger than my requested age range. I thought wow, I must be a stud after all... but soon realized I was wasting my time being "catfished".

After less than 24 hours on Match, I'm so disgusted I'm seriously thinking of canceling my account. I've only had 2 or 3 real women look at my profile so far, and not a single response to the emails I've sent out so far.

Maybe I should try adding a few photos of myself shirtless to speed up the action?? :eek:

I've read the OLD woes posted on LS... but I somehow thought it work differently for me.:D How long should I give it before calling it quits? Is there anything I can do to stop the "catfishing" I'm constantly getting?

I've had to write a lot of reviews about dating sites, and I can tell you that this happens on every site you go to. It's very obvious that many fake accounts are made to make you think that you are getting more attention than you are.

That said, 24 hours is not a long time. There could be someone on there who is really perfect for you and you may find her with some time. She may not even be on the site yet.

Bottom line: Proceed with caution, but don't close your mind off to getting results by being real and open about yourself.

• Like 1

You paid for it, you might as well get use out of it.

I mean what do you have to lose?

You better get your pride and ego out of the way. If you are the type to get them bruised easily, OLD is probably not for you. (IE: you message girls but they don't respond.) It's a numbers game and all you need is that one good match to hit it off.

• Like 1
  • Author
LoveMachine67
I've had to write a lot of reviews about dating sites, and I can tell you that this happens on every site you go to. It's very obvious that many fake accounts are made to make you think that you are getting more attention than you are.

That said, 24 hours is not a long time. There could be someone on there who is really perfect for you and you may find her with some time. She may not even be on the site yet.

Bottom line: Proceed with caution, but don't close your mind off to getting results by being real and open about yourself.

Good points... Thank you!

Lois_Griffin

I just wanted to say that I certainly hope your nick on Match isn't "LoveMachine67."

• Like 1
  • Author
LoveMachine67
I just wanted to say that I certainly hope your nick on Match isn't "LoveMachine67."

:lmao: No, no Lois.... but I did think about using it for a second :D

Match is pretty reputable, but you need to put work in especially if you're a guy.

The first 24 hours your profile usually sucks, not many pictures, etc. Take some time and polish your profile off. You need to put in work and message Women too. I always filter by "Online Only" so they read my messages right away and I get on their radar.

• Like 1
  • Author
LoveMachine67
Match is pretty reputable, but you need to put work in especially if you're a guy.

The first 24 hours your profile usually sucks, not many pictures, etc. Take some time and polish your profile off. You need to put in work and message Women too. I always filter by "Online Only" so they read my messages right away and I get on their radar.

Barcode, I'm glad you chimed in because I've read your accounts of being fairly successful on Match. My photos could definitely be better. I need to have some recent nicer photos taken of myself for sure. I will definitely take some time to clean my profile up a bit.

• Like 1
Barcode, I'm glad you chimed in because I've read your accounts of being fairly successful on Match. My photos could definitely be better. I need to have some recent nicer photos taken of myself for sure. I will definitely take some time to clean my profile up a bit.

In general... Make sure your main photo is a really good face shot. If you have a really athletic body you can throw your body in too a bit. Make sure you're alone so people aren't confused which one is you. This is only important for the profile picture, after that it's easier for people to pick you out of a small crowd.

Have some photos with other people/groups (make sure if there are females involved its clear they're friends/family and are more group oriented).

Have photos doing activities

You want to make yourself look desirable and most Women (and even Men) will just shuffle through your Photos and jump to a yes/no, if Yes then they will read your profile. Your profile shouldn't be too long, just enough to give people an idea about you while keeping a bit of mystery. Don't put your name in, it's better letting them have to ask for it ;)

My Match is in my bio if you want to take a look.

Edited by barcode88
  • Like 1
  • Author
LoveMachine67
In general... Make sure your main photo is a really good face shot. If you have a really athletic body you can throw your body in too a bit.

Have some photos with other people/groups (make sure if there are females involved its clear they're friends/family and are more group oriented).

You want to make yourself look desirable and most Women (and even Men) will just shuffle through your Photos and jump to a yes/no, if Yes then they will read your profile. Your profile shouldn't be too long, just enough to give people an idea about you while keeping a bit of mystery. Don't put your name in, it's better letting them have to ask for it ;)

Thanks, I will check it out.

• Author
LoveMachine67
In general... Make sure your main photo is a really good face shot. If you have a really athletic body you can throw your body in too a bit. Make sure you're alone so people aren't confused which one is you. This is only important for the profile picture, after that it's easier for people to pick you out of a small crowd.

Barcode, I forgot to ask you... but do women ever contact you first? If they check out you profile, do you follow up with an email to contact them first? Have you ever received any legit "likes" or "flirts" from real women that lead to making contact with them?

Barcode, I forgot to ask you... but do women ever contact you first? If they check out you profile, do you follow up with an email to contact them first? Have you ever received any legit "likes" or "flirts" from real women that lead to making contact with them?

I used match a month ago... I used the free 7 day trial... I might have lucked out.

But, in that week I got about 5 numbers easy and met up with 4 of them in person within 2 weeks.

The rest were kinda flaky, where they liked my pic or messaged just 1 or 2 times.

Then again, I am part of a minority, so the women in the same group were mostly receptive of my messages.

I never renewed my subscription, as none of the dates turned out that well... I mean I made some new friends, but it never lead to anything. One of them was VERY promising, but some how it went to hell on our 2nd date.

I've decided I'm going to take some time away from match. And, I'm going to go work on myself some more.

I'll probably go back at some point in time... or when they bring back the 50% off deal lol!

• Like 1

Within minutes, even before my profile was approved, I started getting likes and chat requests from young hot babes way younger than my requested age range. I thought wow, I must be a stud after all... but soon realized I was wasting my time being "catfished".

After less than 24 hours on Match, I'm so disgusted I'm seriously thinking of canceling my account. I've only had 2 or 3 real women look at my profile so far, and not a single response to the emails I've sent out so far.

Maybe I should try adding a few photos of myself shirtless to speed up the action?? :eek:

I've read the OLD woes posted on LS... but I somehow thought it work differently for me.:D How long should I give it before calling it quits? Is there anything I can do to stop the "catfishing" I'm constantly getting?

Hey LoveMachine67. I need a love machine, hehe. I would be hopeful. You just joined. C'mon now brotha.

I wouldn't put up shirtless photos as I find those distasteful. Put up a few photos of you in different settings.

Nothing comes easy in this world, especially with OLD. Give it a fighting chance!

I would give it 6 months and do the guarantee option for another 6 months. That way you will have at least given it a valid effort.

You can't give up this soon.

That's like applying to five jobs and being pissed at no response.

There is an element of luck involved, but perseverance is required if you want to be successful.

tl;dr: time + patience + effort needed to potentially find someone on match. do not give up within a day or week. give it at least 6 months. good luck!

• Like 3

Yes, lol

And, you need to be really REALLY patient with OLD. Don't take it so seriously and it won't frustrate you so much.

As for slowing down the catfish, never speak with anyone who does not live local to you. Assume they are a catfish if they are interested and do not live locally (you can obviously see this on their profile). Don't even get invested.

If they say they live local, chat/email/text a bit to warm them up, then ask to meet after a week or two of that. If they won't meet you, then STOP talking with them immediately. They are a catfish.

Never look at who has viewed you. That's just torture, imo.

• Like 1

The women that I desire usually never message or like me first. At most they will view my profile and I'll message them back. Men have to do most of the work just like In real life.

• Like 1
  • Author
LoveMachine67
Yes, lol

And, you need to be really REALLY patient with OLD. Don't take it so seriously and it won't frustrate you so much.

As for slowing down the catfish, never speak with anyone who does not live local to you. Assume they are a catfish if they are interested and do not live locally (you can obviously see this on their profile). Don't even get invested.

If they say they live local, chat/email/text a bit to warm them up, then ask to meet after a week or two of that. If they won't meet you, then STOP talking with them immediately. They are a catfish.

Never look at who has viewed you. That's just torture, imo.

Thanks Popsicle,

Yeah I spoke to a young lady yesterday who said she lived 2.5 hours away from me. Then she went on to explain that she was stranded in Africa after having attended the funeral of a loved one blah blah blah.... But if I helped her get back home she would marry me :laugh:.... yeah right. It was funny, but it ticks me off at the same time.

It has been torture looking at who's viewed me ;)

• Like 1
  • Author
LoveMachine67
Hey LoveMachine67. I need a love machine, hehe. I would be hopeful. You just joined. C'mon now brotha.

I wouldn't put up shirtless photos as I find those distasteful. Put up a few photos of you in different settings.

Nothing comes easy in this world, especially with OLD. Give it a fighting chance!

I would give it 6 months and do the guarantee option for another 6 months. That way you will have at least given it a valid effort.

You can't give up this soon.

That's like applying to five jobs and being pissed at no response.

There is an element of luck involved, but perseverance is required if you want to be successful.

tl;dr: time + patience + effort needed to potentially find someone on match. do not give up within a day or week. give it at least 6 months. good luck!

Thanks Dyna, I needed that encouragement. I will stick it out for a while. My first order of business is getting my profile in order, especially the photos. I must admit, this is my first time with OLD and I swore I'd never go this route, but here I am.

As for you needing a love machine, be careful what you wish for....:D

• Like 1

The very young and aggressive women are probably Nigerian scammers... if in doubt, wait 24 hours before replying to them... the scammers are usually nuked by then.

Make sure you workout and have the best pics you can. Match will work if you work it.

• Like 2
  • Author
LoveMachine67
I used match a month ago... I used the free 7 day trial... I might have lucked out.

But, in that week I got about 5 numbers easy and met up with 4 of them in person within 2 weeks.

The rest were kinda flaky, where they liked my pic or messaged just 1 or 2 times.

Then again, I am part of a minority, so the women in the same group were mostly receptive of my messages.

I never renewed my subscription, as none of the dates turned out that well... I mean I made some new friends, but it never lead to anything. One of them was VERY promising, but some how it went to hell on our 2nd date.

I've decided I'm going to take some time away from match. And, I'm going to go work on myself some more.

I'll probably go back at some point in time... or when they bring back the 50% off deal lol!

LostOne, I have the same concerns that you do, in that I am wondering if I am rushing to get back out there so soon after some recent drama I went through. But I am going to stick it out for a bit to see what happens.

I too am part of a minority, but looking to date someone opposite. This is just an added challenge, but I will stick it out for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Author
LoveMachine67
The very young and aggressive women are probably Nigerian scammers... if in doubt, wait 24 hours before replying to them... the scammers are usually nuked by then.

Make sure you workout and have the best pics you can. Match will work if you work it.

Gary, this is exactly what I've noticed.

If someone sends me a flirt, if I wait an hour to check it, that profile is usually nuked by then. I am working out everyday now, and hope to update my photos once I get this bod tightened up a bit.

My current photos holding up dead animals may not do the job...:eek:

JuneJulySeptember

I can't remember how many emails I sent without getting a response, but it was a lot.

My advice to you?

Don't send any emails yet. If you have the discipline, wait 2 weeks or so and wait until some women view your profile. If you are new, then you'll get maximum exposure and you should have several women who have viewed you after 2 weeks. Email them.

3 things. Women who have viewed your profile have typically seen your face and know your race. Also consider that women probably screen for height in their profile, so if they clicked yours, you might be good there too.

Now. Imagine how much greater your chances will be if you have passed the minimum test in those three areas.

Right? I would do that first. THEN, once you have exhausted those options, and are used to the rejection, you can do your own search.

• Like 1

I never get spammed on Match actually... If anything I get winked by girls with their profile telling me to E-Mail them on some gmail account, but that even hasn't happened in a while.

However on POF/Tinder, yeah... lots of spam. That's any free site for you.

However, I would message right away... No need to wait as an above poster suggested.

This past week I've been getting lucky, I've gotten roughly 30-50% reply rate, I haven't sent very many out, but I've had a lot of convos (some lead somewhere, some don't)

The #1 thing is that when you send a message out, make sure it indicates you read her profile... Just make a few witty remarks or something light and fun to break the ice, if they have some cool pictures, often I'll comment on one of her pictures which usually works out well.

Edited by barcode88
  • Like 1
JuneJulySeptember

However, I would message right away... No need to wait as an above poster suggested.

Right, well obviously that is advice from standing in my shoes. Obviously if the OP is 6 foot and white and handsome, then most of that goes out the window. Then I would suggest picking a median point for women and just digging in.

But my response rate was so miserable in the beginning I almost gave up. And I handcrafted messages so carefully, and handpicked women who looked average and nice.

Like I've said a million times before, LoveShack always gives one size fits all advice when it is never the case in real life.

• Like 2
Right, well obviously that is advice from standing in my shoes. Obviously if the OP is 6 foot and white and handsome, then most of that goes out the window. Then I would suggest picking a median point for women and just digging in.

But my response rate was so miserable in the beginning I almost gave up. And I handcrafted messages so carefully, and handpicked women who looked average and nice.

Like I've said a million times before, LoveShack always gives one size fits all advice when it is never the case in real life.

Touché.

I think the initial messaging is always the worst for most guys because they don't know what works yet... After a bit of trial and error you figure it out. At least that's how it felt for me.

But yeah i'm 6'2 white and decent looking (or so I'm told), however I feel like I have my share of weaknesses as well in other areas. I won't presume to know what works best for every guy though.

• Like 1
  • Author
LoveMachine67
I never get spammed on Match actually... If anything I get winked by girls with their profile telling me to E-Mail them on some gmail account, but that even hasn't happened in a while.

However on POF/Tinder, yeah... lots of spam. That's any free site for you.

This past week I've been getting lucky, I've gotten roughly 30-50% reply rate, I haven't sent very many out, but I've had a lot of convos (some lead somewhere, some don't)

The #1 thing is that when you send a message out, make sure it indicates you read her profile... Just make a few witty remarks or something light and fun to break the ice, if they have some cool pictures, often I'll comment on one of her pictures which usually works out well.

Thanks again BarCode!

Thank you JJS,

I can see the merits in both of your approaches. It will take a bit of trial and error to find one that works best in my situation of course. However, my biggest hurdle to overcome is not becoming discouraged by lack of response to emails that I send out.