Dealing with "what could've been"

A senior girl on my Track team and I, a junior guy, have been flirting a lot towards the end of the school year. We connected so well and we really liked each other.

However, I later realized that she might be moving away to college since she would be graduating high school soon, and eventually she told me one day that she was. I actually responded well to this and just decided to call it quits since she would be leaving within the month.

It didn't bother me as much until our Track Banquet a couple days ago. We were hugging, laughing, and calling each other nicknames like wife and husband (lol); basically having a blast. To keep a long story short, we eventually got really close and we were chilling in the hot tub next to each other and she was in my arms. We were both really happy, I'm now questioning whether or not I should've made a move on her, but I felt that it would later emotionally hurt me when she left.

Now my feelings for her are have resurged, but she's already moved away. It's hard for me to think about how nice of a couple we could've been if she didn't have to. Obviously I should move on, but it's been 1.5 years since I've been in a good relationship and the thought that I might have to wait that long again isn't sitting right with me.

Advice on how to deal with this?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Mate, I feel your pain, I really do. All I can say, and I know it sounds cliché, is that time heals everything.

The number of times I've let a girl go or missed an opportunity and kicked myself over it, it's just not worth it. You'll forget about her eventually, even if you feel ****ty right now.

• Like 2

Focus on your present and appreciate what is good in it.

The present is the only place where can act, the only place where can feel, and the only place you can BE.

• Like 1
Guitarisgood

Yep, you should have made a move. You didn't. Take a deep breath, let it sink in and etched as a memo in the back of your head so that if you're ever in that situation, you don't make the same mistake. Don't let fear stop you from doing what you want to do.

Now moving on, do something stupid. Go train for a triathlon, jump on stage for a musical competition with limited practice. Go out with friends and make a fool of yourself. Somethings can get you down but you've just got to let it go and move on. I stuffed up with a girl earlier on in the week and last night made a fool of myself having a dance battle with a bboy who was busking while out. All I can think about now is how stupid I must have looked and having a good laugh with friends. That girl, she's now a fond memory in the back of my head that if I ever bump into her I won't make the same mistake of not asking for her number.

• Like 3
Yep, you should have made a move. You didn't. Take a deep breath, let it sink in and etched as a memo in the back of your head so that if you're ever in that situation, you don't make the same mistake. Don't let fear stop you from doing what you want to do.

Now moving on, do something stupid. Go train for a triathlon, jump on stage for a musical competition with limited practice. Go out with friends and make a fool of yourself. Somethings can get you down but you've just got to let it go and move on. I stuffed up with a girl earlier on in the week and last night made a fool of myself having a dance battle with a bboy who was busking while out. All I can think about now is how stupid I must have looked and having a good laugh with friends. That girl, she's now a fond memory in the back of my head that if I ever bump into her I won't make the same mistake of not asking for her number.

I like this attitude. The older I get the less I care what people think. I'll go to a bar with my friends and dance like an idiot, crack stupid jokes, just be myself and girls might not like that but then I think, you know what those girls weren't right for me.

Just continue to be yourself enjoy being yourself!

• Like 1

Most of us older dudes on this site look back to HS and our early 20's and shutter at all the missed opportunities that were presented to us! Like the other great advice all ready given, take a chance next time!

Let some time pass and you'll feel better. You will find another great relationship IF you put yourself out there are understand that some rejection will be had by you to get to your end goal.

You're young! Have fun and enjoy your senior year! I'm sure you're surrounded by LOTS of opportunites.

• Like 1