What does it mean if a girl avoids eyes contact?

adamastor

I met this girl at my new job. Look-wise she is nothing to stop the party for but decent looking, and I don't why but I got attracted to her or curious about her. As I don't work directly with her, I began interact with her saying "good morning" when I would bump into her. Later on she talked to me once for something work-related, after that she said "hi" to me when running into me. When I was feeling that the ice was broken and that I was going to be able to establish a amicable relationship to get to know her, she started displaying weird behavior. Whenever I bump into her around the office, instead of saying hi she just looks away avoiding making eye contact. I can sense she feels awkward or uncomfortable. I don't understand why, I don't look nor ever acted creepy around her. When running into other coworkers male or female there is usually an exchange of eye contact, smile, or a "hello".

I overheard some coworkers saying that she is religious. Also she is half asian if that can give some context.

It's interesting to notice that she doesn't fail to make eye contact, but actively avoids it. Why do think she is avoids eye contact with?

She may simply be shy. Or she could be indicating that she does not want to interact with you.

Clarence_Boddicker

You probably stared at her too much or talked about her to a co worker & that got back to her.

That is a tricky one. She could sense you are now "interested" and doesn't want to lead you on or is worried that if she keeps chatting you will ask her on a date. Or, she could be nervous around you.

I have had situations where I may have come across as "ignoring" someone even though I was interested because I just got really busy and didn't have time to chat with her on a regular basis anymore when I ran into her

It could be a number of reasons why.

Her culture may be one where women do not establish eye contact with men.

She may be shy

She may not be interested in you and avoids giving you any reason to keep pursuing

She may have a uber-jealous boyfriend who has got her so weirded out that she doesn't look at guys out of fear for being raked over the coals for it.

Who knows why? All you need to know is that she's giving you every indication that you turned down a dead end street as far as she's concerned. Time to back up and try another route.

People who can't maintain eye contact are a big turn off for me. I've even had male friends in the past that cannot look anyone in the eye when talking. It's makes everything very difficult I think.

You need look no further for the answer. It is what it is. She does not want to interact with you on a personal level. She knows you are crushing on her and is not interested even though you did nothing overt. People can tell when someone is focused on you. You've done nothing creepy as long as now that she has let you know she is not interested, you stop trying to get her to interact. It's work. Not a great idea anyway.

GA000 Jenny

Women avoid eye contact entirely and completely for the following reasons:

1) they know you like them but they don't like you.

2) they don't know you like them but they don't like you.

3) they don't like you full stop.

4) they used to like you, but then you did something wrong which made them change their mind, and now they don't want to have anything to do with you again.

or (but seems unlikely here)

5) she is a shy young virgin who never approached a man and would blush at the sole idea of holding hands, let alone looking into your eyes.

in general people look at things they like and avoid the things they don't

• Like 1
It's interesting to notice that she doesn't fail to make eye contact, but actively avoids it. Why do think she is avoids eye contact with?
Unknown. Happens all the time. Billions of people on the planet. What one person says or does is generally irrelevant. IMO, continue being who you are and act the way you do and whomever responds to you in a manner you find compatible does and the rest are, well, the abyss. The time spent analyzing could be spent enjoying the company of someone who does make eye contact and engages. Try it.
  • Like 1