Boyfriend proposed after 4 months of dating. I accepted. Is it too soon

girlywoman25

girlywoman25

We're 26 and we been together for 4 month before he proposed to me. I accepted because we both feel we're right for each other. Like they say when you find the "one" you'll know. I worry thought how my friends and family are going to take it since we haven't been dating for long. I need some input thanks!

ClickToRead

Do not worry about what others think. Sometimes people meet and things are just right. Go with it. Congrats. :)

• Like 1

I am sorry for maybe being rude.

So is it a real engagement with a promise to marry within a year or it's one of those fake engagement with no wedding date?

• Like 1

Too soon. You can always get married in the future. You don't know each other 4 months in, not really.

• Like 2
lemoncello

The only opinions that matter OP, is yours and your fiance. Do you think it's too soon? When is the wedding date?

• Like 1
ColdandLonelyinAK

One of my best friends became engaged to her now husband after only 3 months. They got married less than a month later, and within a month of that she was saying how ready she was for him to leave town for work. They were also having financial problems within a couple months of tying the knot. I feel that, had they known each other longer, they would have benefitted. She admittedly married him so soon because she was having a hard time paying her rent and he could get housing allowance if they were married. They are having all sorts of issues.

Wait it out, or at least make it a lengthy engagement. You have to be past the "honeymoon phase" of your relationship before you really know someone, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Author
girlywoman25
I am sorry for maybe being rude.

So is it a real engagement with a promise to marry within a year or it's one of those fake engagement with no wedding date?

I'm not offended. We want to get married in November.

About your move in together first and see how that works for you guys? Why do you need to get married so fast? Nobody is going anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Author
girlywoman25
The only opinions that matter OP, is yours and your fiance. Do you think it's too soon? When is the wedding date?

No i dont think it is too soon. We were friends before we started dating. We want to get married in November not sure the exact date

barcode88

OK, I think everyone needs to calm down.

Yes OP I think its a bit earlier than typical, I think most people would say at least 1 year.

However if you've dated a LOT of Men and you feel that this one is a grand slam knocked out of the park, you could be the exception to the rule.

I think the most important thing is that you need to take a step back and look at everything objectively - especially since you're probably still wearing the honeymoon glasses.

Don't panic and back down right away just because we're telling you "Its Early", rather take the time of your engagement to assess how you feel. You have plenty of time to break it off if you feel a change of heart.

You're not super young at 26, I know a lot of people getting married around that age, so there's a good chance it could work out.

• Like 1
El Pallasso

All this "you know best" is nice and all.

However, it is too soon and the only reason you accepted was because you didn't want to reject him. You couldn't stand to see his disappointed face. Now, you're doubting yourself and seeking the assurance of people on the internet to tell you that what you did was right.

Rationalize it how you wish but deep down, you know I'm right.

Edited by El Pallasso
  • Like 1
  • Author
girlywoman25
OK, I think everyone needs to calm down.

Yes OP I think its a bit earlier than typical, I think most people would say at least 1 year.

However if you've dated a LOT of Men and you feel that this one is a grand slam knocked out of the park, you could be the exception to the rule.

I think the most important thing is that you need to take a step back and look at everything objectively - especially since you're probably still wearing the honeymoon glasses.

Don't panic and back down right away just because we're telling you "Its Early", rather take the time of your engagement to assess how you feel. You have plenty of time to break it off if you feel a change of heart.

You're not super young at 26, I know a lot of people getting married around that age, so there's a good chance it could work out.

Yes i have dated several other men and truly feel i found the right person without a doubt i feel it

• Author
girlywoman25
All this "you know best" is nice and all.

However, it is too soon and the only reason you accepted was because you didn't want to reject him. You couldn't stand to see his disappointed face. Now, you're doubting yourself and seeking the assurance of people on the internet to tell you that what you did was right.

Rationalize it how you wish but deep down, you know I'm right.

Its not i didnt want to reject him and i think im too worried what my family and friends might think but i know i shouldnt. Plus we were friends before we started dating

I'm not offended. We want to get married in November.

Way too soon; you are still in the honeymoon phase.

• Like 3
Its not i didnt want to reject him and i think im too worried what my family and friends might think but i know i shouldnt. Plus we were friends before we started dating

You know it's rushing and you also know for this reason your family will object.

Now explain to me why the rush to getting married? Why not just move in together for a year and see how that goes?

There is a world of difference between being friends, dating and living together. I dated my ex husband for 3 years before getting married and the first year of our marriage he still felt like a stranger to me!

Edited by Gaeta
  • Like 5
wheream_i
We're 26 and we been together for 4 month before he proposed to me. I accepted because we both feel we're right for each other. Like they say when you find the "one" you'll know. I worry thought how my friends and family are going to take it since we haven't been dating for long. I need some input thanks!

You accepted because after 26 years of life, you finally get your day to feel like a real princess, make all your female friends jealous, plan your bachelorette party, have your big day with no real concept that marriage is supposed to be forever. That's a long time. Best of luck with the divorce. Actually, best of luck to him with the divorce. :)

• Like 1
  • Author
girlywoman25
You know it's rushing and you also know for this reason your family will object.

Now explain to me why the rush to getting married? Why not just move in together for a year and see how that goes?

There is a world of difference between being friends, dating and living together. I dated my ex husband for 3 years before getting married and the first year of our marriage he still felt like a stranger to me!

I understand and see your perpective on this. I was brought up that you have to wait until you're married to move in together but i stopped believing in that

• Author
girlywoman25
You accepted because after 26 years of life, you finally get your day to feel like a real princess, make all your female friends jealous, plan your bachelorette party, have your big day with no real concept that marriage is supposed to be forever. That's a long time. Best of luck with the divorce. Actually, best of luck to him with the divorce. :)

Thanks i appreciate that

You don't need a piece of paper to be committed to each other.

Don't marry him before you've known each other 2 years.

4 months is nothing. You've got a lot of water under a bridge to see before you should be making that call.

There's no hurry. Please, don't rush.

• Like 1
  • Author
girlywoman25
You don't need a piece of paper to be committed to each other.

Don't marry him before you've known each other 2 years.

4 months is nothing. You've got a lot of water under a bridge to see before you should be making that call.

There's no hurry. Please, don't rush.

Thanks. We are not going to get married right away like everyone here assumed.

• Like 1
Thanks. We are not going to get married right away like everyone here assumed.

Didn't you post up-thread that you plan to marry in Novembet?!?!

• Like 3
ExpatInItaly

In my opinion, yes, it's far too soon.

I realize you've known him for a while, but being friends and being a couple are not the same thing. I would wait.

• Like 1