Met her online yesterday - today texted for 15 hours straight.

SingleDude

SingleDude

Like nonstop. Maybe one half hour break. Even a phone call mixed in. We haven't even met in person yet. Ive never in my life had a 15 hour conversation before. And these aren't simple one-liners. This has to mean something. You know those silly OKC questions? About 300 answered. 89%.

Going to see her tomorrow. Has this ever happened to anyone who did OLD?

• Author
SingleDude

I usually take the OLD thing with a grain of salt. Im trying not to get too excited. But this is insane. I said hi at 10am and it hasn't stopped. Long, detailed exchanges for now what will be 16 hours straight. 16.

acrosstheuniverse

Yeah it's happened to me before. Met online, texted nonstop for days on end, I'm talking probably hundred plus messages per day, including calls etc. We met quickly and it didn't quite translate into how we were in person although we dated for a month or two, in the end it was long distance and I guess I just didn't like him enough as I felt pressured, it was tough starting a relationship that involved whole weekends together from the off, rather than a usual beginning where you can meet for a drink after work, dinner a few days later and so forth.

It's heady, enjoy it. But don't get your hopes up too much. They could be doing the same to three other guys at the same time as you, maybe they just enjoy killing time by talking to lots of fresh new people all the time.

Enjoy the meet, but if you want my advice I'd scale back on the messages just a little, you don't want her to get bored and feel she's tied to her phone already, plus a 16 hour nonstop text convo, unless it was a Sunday or something, would have my wondering if the guy actually had a life or not. I'm not saying play games but it wouldn't hurt to go off the map once or twice for a few hours, it's nice to be given the space to miss someone's contact and also makes you look higher value because you have other demands on your time to fulfill too. This just coming from a woman.

• Like 1
Like nonstop. Maybe one half hour break. Even a phone call mixed in. We haven't even met in person yet. Ive never in my life had a 15 hour conversation before. And these aren't simple one-liners. This has to mean something. You know those silly OKC questions? About 300 answered. 89%.

Going to see her tomorrow. Has this ever happened to anyone who did OLD?

This sounds pretty unhealthy and a bit obsessive.

Who has time to spend 15 hours on a phone texting?

If she isn' weird, and she is just really keen for some reason, then I think you are making it very hard to live up to the ideal she will be creating based on all this texting.

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

Yeah it has happened to me and there was no spark when we met in person.

• Like 5

I hope it works out well, but I would probably try to hold off a bit on the communication in the early stages. Don't get your hopes up too much and don't rush into anything. 15 hours.. that is just insane.

Eternal Sunshine

It also makes me wonder how much both of you have going on in real life. I know that when I had those conversations, it was more to do with filling a void of loneliness/boredom than any real connection.

• Like 2

You gotta have more to do on a Saturday afternoon than sit and text a girl. If not, start there and worry about dating later.

• Like 2
Phoenician

It happened to me ;

it is abusive .

it is unreal.

The worst is that it happened with an Ex whom I haven't seen for 20 years...

i trvelled 10000 miles to see her!

it ended dramatically because we discovered that we quit immediately each other for the same reasons that existed 20 years back ...

I tell you that , if she is the one ? it will be your great luck .

but usually , it is the fake other side of the river...

I wouldn't have anything to say to a stranger for that long tbh, so no I've never done that. I'm fairly closed off though & take a long time to get to know. I just feel like that would put a lot of pressure on a first date, like you've gotten very personal already and it just seems like it'd then be awkward in person.

• Like 1

This. And the same thing can happen if you talked on the phone for 16 hours. You really don't get the real deal until you meet in person.

• Like 1
This sounds pretty unhealthy and a bit obsessive.

Who has time to spend 15 hours on a phone texting?

If she isn' weird, and she is just really keen for some reason, then I think you are making it very hard to live up to the ideal she will be creating based on all this texting.

I agree, this is not a great start. I'd be minimally texting and saving it for the first date. I mean, now what are thye supposed to talk about?

Art_Critic

When I was dating if this had started to happen to me after about 30 mins I'd be like WTF.. let's meet but not spend all night texting.

It has always been my experience that when you invest tons of time in each other.. whether it be on the phone, chatting, texting or email without meeting first and finding out if there is a connection then you or they wind up walking away after the first meeting going: well that was a waste of time, I wish I hadn't of spent so much time on them before meeting them.

I say meet her before you invest more of yourself in this.. make sure you have the connection before going further.

^^^^

This.

I've had countless conversations like this. I can have great, long, meaningful conversations with anyone via text.

In person? Womp, woommmmp.

And those OKC questions don't mean anything.

d0nnivain

All I see is two people who have 15 hours to waste are now meeting in person. OMG. This has train wreck written all over it.

• Like 1

Don't get too excited. You two might meet and quickly discover one or both are not attracted. We are strangers until we meet.

• Like 1
  • Author
SingleDude
It also makes me wonder how much both of you have going on in real life. I know that when I had those conversations, it was more to do with filling a void of loneliness/boredom than any real connection.

How about it was two working adults who had the day off and decided to have conversations via text that were interesting?

Gee, what a waste of time. Are you single?

• Author
SingleDude
You gotta have more to do on a Saturday afternoon than sit and text a girl. If not, start there and worry about dating later.

How about we both live alone and enjoy writing?

What do you do on your spare time?

• Author
SingleDude

For crissakes there was a phone conversation too. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I read about how a girl wont text a guy for hours on end and she is therefore "uninterested". When the opposite happens and it becomes a full blown conversation, its a waste of time.

Oh but there's better things to do. Like what? Mow the f%&king lawn? Have a cookout? Jesus when two people work full time and live alone, maybe being lazy and texting and talking isn't the sour grapes some of you make it out to be.

Whatever. I thought it was great. If it doesn't work out when I met her, so be it. But I had fun. Most people go the opposite direction and don't say anything and then they meet up and nothing. At least we both have a sense of each other so we know what to sort of expect.

I just saw it as harmless fun. Besides, it was pouring buckets all day. If I had to do it again, I would.

• Like 2
For crissakes there was a phone conversation too. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I read about how a girl wont text a guy for hours on end and she is therefore "uninterested". When the opposite happens and it becomes a full blown conversation, its a waste of time.

Oh but there's better things to do. Like what? Mow the f%&king lawn? Have a cookout? Jesus when two people work full time and live alone, maybe being lazy and texting and talking isn't the sour grapes some of you make it out to be.

Whatever. I thought it was great. If it doesn't work out when I met her, so be it. But I had fun. Most people go the opposite direction and don't say anything and then they meet up and nothing. At least we both have a sense of each other so we know what to sort of expect.

I just saw it as harmless fun. Besides, it was pouring buckets all day. If I had to do it again, I would.

You are meeting her today?

Have fun! And if you're inclined, let us know how it went! Especially if you hit it off.

We need some positivity around here for a change..... :)

• Like 1
  • Author
SingleDude
You are meeting her today?

Have fun! And if you're inclined, let us know how it went! Especially if you hit it off.

We need some positivity around here for a change..... :)

Yeah just for a quick coffee. She works down the street from me so it will be easy to meet up.

• Author
SingleDude
I agree, this is not a great start. I'd be minimally texting and saving it for the first date. I mean, now what are thye supposed to talk about?

I see your point but...people who get together and stay together seem to have much to talk about. I mean my parents were married their whole life so obviously they probably had something to say after the 10th year.

• Like 1
Yeah just for a quick coffee. She works down the street from me so it will be easy to meet up.

Quick coffee sounds perfect for a first meet! I'm glad you're meeting sooner rather than later too ....this all sounds really good to me.

Many people text for days, weeks, months before meeting! Which is not good IMO.

Again, have fun and good luck!!! I hope you click in person as well as you did over the phone!

Edited by katiegrl
  • Like 1