Do compliments really matter to a woman?

singlelife

Are dudes not giving compliments these days? I mean there are obviously pretty women who seem starved for compliements. I have dated several hairstylists over the years so I have learned to notice little changes in hair makeup and clothing styles. When ever I give women a compliment on their appearance they always say they never get them or their bf never notices. A lot of times it leads to extracurricular if you know what I mean.

As a side not I did have a female friend say that it's different from being told how hot she is from a sincere compliment.

RuKiddingme

I love the old "my bf doesn't notice" line. My favorite was the girl I just cut off. Her response? "I'm not used to it" when being told how pretty she is. Its bull. A 35 year-old woman and like Im the only one who said that. Come on.

Some men don't give compliments, I know that one reason is shyness.

Then there are the men who will kind of insult a woman or give a backhanded compliment, I think it's called negging, or something similar to that?

I am not overrun with compliments, but I am not totally devoid of them. I get them on occasion, and when I do, I typically find it genuine and am really appreciative. For example, my male coworker noticed the other day that I had painted my nails, complimented them. Hey! Thanks :)

Just simple little out of the blue things that show someone pays attention, it's flattering, whether man, woman, friend, family, etc...

SawtoothMars

As a side not I did have a female friend say that it's different from being told how hot she is from a sincere compliment.

Flattery if done well, works with everyone, all the time.

Specifically in regards to women, they tend to be more receptive and desire it more frequently.

• Like 1

My wife and I tell each other "Love you" everyday. It is usually at the end of the night before we go to sleep or when one of us goes to work. I mean it when I say it, but I wanted to make sure she knew I still meant it and that it isn't just something routine. Remember, this is my wife of almost a decade, not someone I need to try and impress on a first date. So I told her that I really mean it every time I tell her I love her and that I would never want anyone else but her. I also told her that I still found her sexier than the day we met, even more so and that in my eyes she is the most desirable woman - to me - in the world.

She said "thank you." You know why? Because even a wife who knows that you still chase her like a rabid dog needs to know genuinely that you think she is pretty.

Trust me, it never hurts to use a compliment.

• Like 1
LookAtThisPOst

I see it on Facebook all the time. There's this rather attractive married woman I know that vies for peoples' attention, makes me question how her marriage is going.

Then there are the men who will kind of insult a woman or give a backhanded compliment, I think it's called negging, or something similar to that?

I am not overrun with compliments, but I am not totally devoid of them. I get them on occasion, and when I do, I typically find it genuine and am really appreciative. For example, my male coworker noticed the other day that I had painted my nails, complimented them. Hey! Thanks :)

Just simple little out of the blue things that show someone pays attention, it's flattering, whether man, woman, friend, family, etc...

Go on Facebook Instagram and Twitter if you believe women aren't getting compliments these days. Some of the most average women I know post pictures and are called beautiful. I've never been complimented on my looks by any female outside of my family

That's the key bit. Complementing on their hair style or shoes or ouitfit or unusual color of nail polish or a piece of jewelery or phone case is going to resonate with them more so than another 'wow you're so hot looking'. Attractive women will have been complimented on their appearance so many times over the years, but it will mostly be a generic statement of their desirability rather than a sincere compliment that's unique to them. Part of pua philosophy is to stand out from the suck up guys and avoid the cliche affirmation compliments

• 5 months later...
  • Author

Nice. I bet you're looking awesome today

A nice compliment is good esp if your slightly interested.

Some men over compliment saying the same thing obsessively it can get really irritating we only need to be told once and a while.

I am really crushing on a long distance guy now.

One of the many things that gave me signals from him? He commented on my hair cut, and I see him around every other month. It wasn't a big haircut, maybe an inch shorter in the back. Most of my colleagues who see me daily did not notice.

He did. Shows he is noticing. I like that.

I think compliments more have to do with who said them than what they said. I have old people say stuff like "oh you're such a handsome young man" all the time. Its nice to hear, but I forget about it 5 seconds later. What I do remember is when this gorgeous girl at a night club celebrating her bachelorette party told me I was the best looking guy in the club (it was a bad night lol).

I'd imagine girls are the same way. A cute guy they have a crush on tells them "hey cute dress" and they'll be gushing the rest of the day. Non cute guy says the same thing, and they'll think its nice, but be glad he didn't stay around and try and hit on them.

I think compliments more have to do with who said them than what they said. I have old people say stuff like "oh you're such a handsome young man" all the time. Its nice to hear, but I forget about it 5 seconds later. What I do remember is when this gorgeous girl at a night club celebrating her bachelorette party told me I was the best looking guy in the club (it was a bad night lol).

I'd imagine girls are the same way. A cute guy they have a crush on tells them "hey cute dress" and they'll be gushing the rest of the day. Non cute guy says the same thing, and they'll think its nice, but be glad he didn't stay around and try and hit on them.

Sort of. I always appreciate a well thought out compliment. If it is a generic compliment, well it depends on the context. It might play a little better if I am attracted, but it depends on context. On a date? A generic compliment doesn't add anything. A random generic compliment when we are spending time together, but know each other? It can work.

I got a really good compliment the other week when a guy, looked too old, was hitting on me. He complimented my smile. Asked me out. I told him i have a boyfriend. He replied with "I hope your boyfriend is treating you well. He is a very lucky man." Well played sir.

Are dudes not giving compliments these days?

Yes, "dudes" do give compliments. At least I do. I always have. I see nothing wrong with telling my SO her hair looks good, she looks nice, she's beautiful.

Having said that, I'm not sure if she wants to hear them, but that could be just issues we are experiencing. She genuinely tells me that she loves hearing me say "I love you"...etc... so I guess it must be important.

If you think it, say it.

I'm personally not a fan on compliments of sorts "You look hot/nice/pretty/cute". I honestly find those intimidating, I'd say "Thank you" but think "Meh". I also do not reciprocate on those because I find it lame.

If I receive a compliment on something specific - e.g. achievement, personality trait, even specificity of looks/style - yes, it feels great :)

Are dudes not giving compliments these days? I mean there are obviously pretty women who seem starved for compliements. I have dated several hairstylists over the years so I have learned to notice little changes in hair makeup and clothing styles. When ever I give women a compliment on their appearance they always say they never get them or their bf never notices. A lot of times it leads to extracurricular if you know what I mean.

I agree with the friend as well. Its not that guys don't compliment its that nowadays I feel like the common complements guys give often sound disingenuous and its rare to get a compliment thats meaningful. I feel like when a guy says I am hot my reaction is an internal eyeroll along with thinking "nice try" but when a guy compliments me with something genuine and specific like "your almond shaped eyes are gorgeous" or something specific like that I am like, aww, how sweet.

Edited by La Trese