How often do couples....

How often do couples get back together after months or years? Does time away to improve yourselves and find that attraction bring each other back or going through one bad relationship which makes the person miss their ex?

Just seeing how common this is.

acrosstheuniverse

Not often, I don't think. Usually the reason for a couple to break up in the first place is pretty damn serious for them to sever the relationship. It happens, but it's very much the exception to the rule. Generally borne out of a sense of rose tinted glasses about the past.

• Like 1

When people split they do so because the other person is often not in the same place for some reason.

They realise they want different things.

One partner may want to experience more "life", one might be bored, one might fall out of love, one may want more, one might just want a different partner, one might have fallen in love with someone else or want to be free to pursue that opportunity, one might be unhappy, one might feel trapped, one might not like being cheated on, abused etc.

So although the one they leave behind, ie the dumpee may want to get back together, the dumper rarely ever does, as they have often thought long and hard before they dumped them in the first place.

DoesntGetIt

I've gotten back together after plenty of time apart with a couple of different women. One of them I ended up being with for over 12 years and we were married (we have since split up but have no problems talking to one another).

I had a friend who got a divorce and then later got back together with that woman and started the relationship all over again.

Everyone knows someone who has been in one of the real crazy on again off again on again off again on again relationships as well.

It happens. However, if you are asking because you just got out of a relationship and hope it turns back into something one day, don't get your hopes up. The circumstances have to be just right for it to happen, and people need to be focused on other things for it to happen.

Many people have gotten divorced an remarried.

Yes, that is true, but the OP's gf had a boob job, then joined a sorority and dumped him.

FortunateSon
Yes, that is true, but the OP's gf had a boob job, then joined a sorority and dumped him.

This does not bode well for the OP...

Edited by FortunateSon

Very, very rarely. I've gone throughout my whole life not knowing a single couple that have split and reconciled. I think if you break up with someone/someone breaks up with you, you're essentially destroying that connection you had and in my opinion it would be incredibly difficult to regain that. Not to mention the loss of trust and respect, on either side depending on the situation.

Don't cut yourself on the broken glass trying to fix it. Even if you do somehow push it all back together, the cracks will remain. Find something new.

Simon Phoenix

It happens, but it's definitely not something I'd say that happens often. I know of a few in my life (including my sister) but I know of many more that stayed broken. I'd say it's like snow in the Deep South -- everyone knows of at least one snowstorm in their lifetime in that part of the country, but in general it's a rare occurrence and not something that should be counted on or planned for.

Mrlonelyone

Not often. I had an ex from way back we were off and on for years with a break almost 1.5 years long. We did it then broke up and I found her with a baby 8 months old. Then we got back together for 1 year.

My last ex has return potential. We connect a little by text and IM and knowing many of the same people. We dance around it. who knows.

My parents were separated for a couple years got back together and have been together for twenty years since.

It can happen but it depends on:

How long and deep your relationship was.

The reason for the split, was it life circumstances, was it cheating...

How connected you are post breakup. (i.e. do you share children, friends, professional connections). The more connected the more likely you get back together.

Edited by Mrlonelyone