'Boop' on the Nose

SeelBubble

Please don't judge!!

I'm not a touchy-feely person, never have been, never will. My boyfriend knows this, it took him a while to deal with it because he's super touchy feely but we can sort of settle on hand holding and cuddling up.

Ok so recently he's started doing this thing and it drives me crazy! Not in a good way I might add!

Basically he'll poke my nose and say 'boop' as he does it. I HATE it!! I've told him but he thinks it's hilarious and keeps doing it. When I actually told him to stop and told him it annoyed me he wanted to know why and couldn't really accept that it just annoyed the hell out of me!

Everything about it bugs me - the poke, the 'boop' the fact that he just randomly does it sometimes even when I'm mid sentence which is a sure fire way to piss me off! (I hate being interrupted)

Please tell me someone else has had to deal with something like this? And how do I get him to realise that it's not cute and I'm not just a little bit irritated - I'm really angry!!

Please don't judge!!

I'm not a touchy-feely person, never have been, never will. My boyfriend knows this, it took him a while to deal with it because he's super touchy feely but we can sort of settle on hand holding and cuddling up.

Ok so recently he's started doing this thing and it drives me crazy! Not in a good way I might add!

Basically he'll poke my nose and say 'boop' as he does it. I HATE it!! I've told him but he thinks it's hilarious and keeps doing it. When I actually told him to stop and told him it annoyed me he wanted to know why and couldn't really accept that it just annoyed the hell out of me!

Everything about it bugs me - the poke, the 'boop' the fact that he just randomly does it sometimes even when I'm mid sentence which is a sure fire way to piss me off! (I hate being interrupted)

Please tell me someone else has had to deal with something like this? And how do I get him to realise that it's not cute and I'm not just a little bit irritated - I'm really angry!!

How about that you Bop him one in the nose?

• Like 2
How about that you Bop him one in the nose?

Ha!

Have you stopped to consider that this may be his way of showing you that he loves you?

If he is that way find your own annoying thing and do it back... preferably when he is mid sentence... How about a thump on the arm and "kerchow!"

• Like 2
Frank2thepoint

Calm down. You know very well your boyfriend is more affectionate than you are. It's not something he can turn off. He is doing it -- mostly -- because he is expressing his affection for you, like some child back in elementary school that pulls a girl's hair to express he likes her. Obviously he derives some pleasure from you getting annoyed about it, which is also a human, albeit an immature reaction on his part. Don't get mad at him for it, but have a serious discussion about it. Explain to him that you understand his affectionate nature, and both of you come up with a way he can express it without it annoying you. And yes this is in addition to hand holding and cuddling. Obviously if he doesn't listen or stop, then maybe you'll have to give him a time out and treat him like a child.

PegNosePete
Obviously if he doesn't listen or stop, then maybe you'll have to give him a time out and treat him like a child.

OP is already at that stage. She's told him that it annoys the hell out of her and he carries on doing it.

Yes time for some "consequences" of his actions. When he does it give him a stern look, get up, and walk away. Mid sentence if necessary.

• Like 5
acrosstheuniverse

He sounds childish to be honest, he cant come up with anything more engaging than making a stupid sound when he pokes you on the nose? Mid sentence is just rude.

He knows this pisses you off and keeps doing it. He's doing it because it pisses you off. Which doesn't make him sound very nice, respectful or mature. He sounds like a kid that keeps poking someone repeatedly until they snap, knowing full well the other person finds it irritating.

This would turn me off someone big time, it's not affection when the other party hates it and you keep doing it irregardless, maybe he gets a kick outta winding you up but that doesn't sound a satisfying relationship to me.

Next time he does it, get up, look him in the eye, tell him you won't be touched in a way you've made clear you hate, and walk out. Stay calm, but get some space. I wouldn't stick around someone doing something purposefully to piss me off. He will get the message without getting the joy of seeing you angry or frustrated.

Please don't judge!!

He's just playing with you, in the good way :)

I love this kind of thing, turn your annoyance into playful energy and do what Toodaloo says. That could lead to quite a bit of fun. Don't be afraid to play, it's good for you.

Frank2thepoint
OP is already at that stage. She's told him that it annoys the hell out of her and he carries on doing it.

From what the SeelBubble has said in her initial post, her reaction so far has been negative (ie: annoyance), without accepting the positive (ie: he's affectionate). He has been behaving negatively, through use of his positive trait. So she and him have to approach this neutrally. A serious discussion instead of angry remarks.

Punch him in the crotch and say, "boop!".

I would have thought "Do that again and your lucks out" would be more apropriate!! :D

Cut off sex and he'll get the message.

He should not tease you, it's not nice.

• Like 1
  • Author
He's just playing with you, in the good way :)

I love this kind of thing, turn your annoyance into playful energy and do what Toodaloo says. That could lead to quite a bit of fun. Don't be afraid to play, it's good for you.

Hi thanks for replying - I get that he's doing it in a playful way but honestly when something annoys me, no matter how well intentioned it is I struggle to find that playful energy.

I mean, if I'm talking to him about something (serious or just general conversation) and he does it all I see is it's his way of getting me to shut up - it's so rude! He even does it when we're in line at the cinema and I'm ordering our popcorn - it gets just plain embarrassing then :/

This is exactly it! Whilst the actual touching of the nose is irritating what really annoys me is the fact that it continues even after I've asked him not to!

PegNosePete
This is exactly it! Whilst the actual touching of the nose is irritating what really annoys me is the fact that it continues even after I've asked him not to!

Yes, exactly. He might be doing it "affectionately" but doing something that you KNOW your partner dislikes, is just plain rude.

You need to start implementing consequences if he continues to disrespect your feelings.

• Like 6

This is hilarious!

What kind of guy continues to do something after a girl tells him not to? An ex of mine didn't like it when I put my arm around her shoulders because she had long hair and my arm would tug at it. So I stopped. Instead I put my arm around her waist. But even if there wasn't an alternative I would have respected her and stopped. And I'd expect the same thing from them if I was annoyed by something.

We can't all like the same things and it sounds to me like this dude needs to learn that and fast.

Remember OP there's nothing worse than a guy who won't take no for an answer - be careful because such behaviour can follow up into different situations - do not let him get away with it.

PS. I like the suggestions above about a decent kick in the balls and a cutesy 'boop'

• Like 2

How old is this guy?? If he's over 15-16 this sounds like immature behavior, not playful.

Please don't judge!!

WTF? Dude sounds like he's still stuck in kindergarten trying to get the attention of the girl he likes by physically annoying her, or he's socially retarded. This would actually be a deal breaker for me, if a girl was doing this I would lose all interest and just write her off as an idiot especially if i've asked her multiple times to stop. And saying "boop" when he does it? SERIOUSLY? I'm cringing just thinking about this how are you even attracted to this guy

Didn't want this post to come off offensive but come on. What man does this?

• Like 5
Please don't judge!!

You've expressed your feelings about it and he doesn't respect them. Next time he does it, you poke him in the nuts . . .

• Like 1
  • Author

You need to start implementing consequences if he continues to disrespect your feelings.

Thanks for the support. The problem I often face is that he does it when I'm at his house or he's at mine and we live an hour away from each other. If I lived a good ten minutes away my reaction towards it would be to say something like 'obviously you just want to annoy me tonight so I'm going to leave' but it gets awkward knowing that the only place I can storm off to is the train station! :p (no car yet, saving up)

How old is this guy?? If he's over 15-16 this sounds like immature behavior, not playful.

Sadly, he's almost 23

WTF? Dude sounds like he's still stuck in kindergarten trying to get the attention of the girl he likes by physically annoying her, or he's socially retarded. This would actually be a deal breaker for me, if a girl was doing this I would lose all interest and just write her off as an idiot especially if i've asked her multiple times to stop. And saying "boop" when he does it? SERIOUSLY? I'm cringing just thinking about this how are you even attracted to this guy

Didn't want this post to come off offensive but come on. What man does this?

No offence taken! This is what goes through my head every time he does it! Especially the cringing!

p.s. Just want to point out that I was attracted to him before knowing he did this! :laugh:

You two aren't going to work out as a couple.

Just put this relationship out of its misery.

I do this to my daughter.

And me and my ex used too watch the big bang theory and everytime there was the ding* at the intro end we would poke and go ding! To each other.

Its too bad you dont like or cant learn to love it it sounds cute and his way of affection.

But doing it during your mid sentence? I would get furiously annoyed.

Talk to him about the right and wrong times to do it for you?

It could be really hard for him to keep his hands to himself when hes so physically affactionate and you arnt, this may be the start of a growing problem that will unfold in time as he needs to be himself affectionately more and more without having to hold it in.

You should give thought in if you're a match people shouldn't have to hide their effections.

I mean, if I'm talking to him about something (serious or just general conversation) and he does it all I see is it's his way of getting me to shut up - it's so rude! !

You may have a good point there.

Does he do it more when you voice your opinion maybe, or when it is a subject he doesn't want to talk about?

This is a bit idiotic tbh - you should be able to have a short and to-the-point adult conversation with him - essentially one-sided - where you tell him he's not allowed to do that. Maybe give him '3 strikes' or sth if you're more comfortable w/it (I prefer one strike but to each their own), and if he still doesn't get it, he's a child or a fool or both and needs to go practice growing up on his own.

You have to stand up for yourself tho. Seriously, that would last w/me about 10 seconds.

• Like 2
Punch him in the crotch and say, "boop!".

So he does this at the movies while you are ordering popcorn? I'm with johan on this. Crazy.

• Like 1

I like this thread and personal takes on conflict resolution and redirection of actions.

Personally I find banter and even physical 'banter' like that fun. It is good in moderation. I can see certain things though getting old fast. I have a personal anecdote though as I had something similar. However the stuff in public needs to stop if you want it to. It verges on demeaning in a way and you gotta have a chat about it.

My feet are sensitive to the nth degree. So much so if someone tied me down and tickled them I'd probably pass out. On the other hand, a tender touch was amazing.

My ex used to like to rake her nails up my foot to annoy me. I used to get so upset and I told her that. I sat down and thought for awhile. I decided the relationship was more important so I thought of a way to have fun with it and I'd pull her in and go at her feet. Soon she would put in stuff I liked and it almost became a ritual and the annoyance factor diminished as well as the raking attacks. Just a personal experience and YMMV.