Anniversary's Good Thing or Bad Thing?

sunshinesunshine

sunshinesunshine

In all of my previous relationships I've always had certain dates as an anniversary but with this guy I have been dating for the past 3 months, I am trying to think of when we should have our anniversary, should it be on when we first talked or our first date?

How would you guys do this sort of thing or is it not your thing at all?

acrosstheuniverse

Usually for me it's the date you actually discussed exclusivity or agreed to begin a relationship. So generally the day one of us says 'where is this going?' Or whatever. But do what's right for you. I don't celebrate monthly anniversaries like I've seen some people do so it generally doesn't matter unless it's going really well and you're nearing a year and would like to celebrate.

I have never been the type to go overboard with dating anniversaries especially the monthly kind. I actually never even heard of them until the Internet.

DH & I do celebrate our 1st date anniversary because if there wasn't a 1st date there wouldn't be a wedding date but our "celebration" is low key: we have Mexican food for dinner because he took me to a Mexican place that is now closed for our 1st date.

If you are going to celebrate dating anniversaries you need to talk to your partner about the celebration in advance including your expectations. I have seen too many posters crying their eyes out because their partner didn't get them a gift but the poor partner was like me & had no idea there is a such a thing as dating anniversaries so they didn't know the other person expected anything.

Penguin_hugs

We count it as the date he asked me to be his GF. We'd been dating for around 6 weeks by that point and it just kind of happened. He started the conversation like- maybe if you feel like this is going well we could start to discuss this becoming a "proper relationship" in a few weeks etc. Then we made out and decided what the hell is there to wait for ;) So it was fairly quick.

I usually send him a text on our anniversary of each month- short and sweet and he always says it makes him smile :)

We did get each other little things (like mugs, good tea and biscuits) for our 6 month anniversary as our first date was in a tea shop- and it was his idea, then I made the hints for our year anniversary (I bought him a tea pot with matching cups and he bought me a little silver heart necklace) and this weekend was our 18 month anniversary but we didn't make a big deal. We just went for a long beach walk :)

I think each month is a big thing when the relationship is new- he's my first BF (despite my age of 22), so at the time I was amazed to be at the 6 month point! He's older than me (27) and had a couple of relationships- 2 of 6 months and 1 of 3 years- so month by month isn't such a big deal to him as it was me.

Uhhh... we've never celebrated one, because it's kinda hard to pinpoint when exactly our relationship started. We could pick an arbitrary date, but that just seems a bit pointless. Birthdays and Valentines' Day are enough for me.

Anyway isn't 3 months a bit early to be planning an anniversary, regardless of the actual day? :) Or are you planning to celebrate the months? Honestly, celebrating every MONTH, besides not actually being an 'anni'-versary, sounds extremely over-the-top to me. The months fly by so quickly anyway, there's no way I could ever keep track of them!

I don't normally celebrate them, but I'd usually say the first date is the starting point...obviously you may not want to choose that date if you were seeing several people for a long time after that date, but to each their own.