What do guys think about girls who love gaming, hip-hop & horror movies?

BlackOpsZombieGirl

BlackOpsZombieGirl

I realize that I'm probably not that unique with regard to the stuff that I'm into. But, I notice that there's not that many girls within my social circle that like the specific things that I do. It seems that the guys that I meet are interested in or at least are inquisitive about the things that I'm into.

I guess what I'm curious about is, would most guys rather date a girl who was more um "mainstream"? For example, girls who mostly like pop music, girls who wouldn't dare play any military first person shooter games, girls who don't have any piercings, girls who like rom coms instead of scary movies and girls whose makeup is always perfect?:confused: Or are most guys open-minded to dating girls who don't fit into the stereotypical "girly girl" mold?

Sometimes, I think that I may be a little too "unique" lol. But, I can only be me; and I won't change who I am for anyone.:cool: So...what do the guys on here think about dating a girl who doesn't fit the typical mold of what most girls are? (I welcome opinions from other girls too!)

fitnessfan365

I may be kind of a jock as a personal trainer. But I own more movies than anyone out there and did professional video editing. I notice that you like to cut horror trailers, so I'm curious what you edit with. I use Final Cut Pro primarily now to edit fan videos for fun. So my fantasy would be to meet a woman that loves to do video editing, stay in, and be into hardcore fitness.

The funny thing is that there was a female trainer at one of my old gyms who had an editing background and that I really clicked with. But I never date co-workers. Then she left out of the blue, and since I never had her number, I couldn't follow up.

You are over thinking it! It does not matter in the great sceme of things.... you are looking for one common intrest... in each other.

That said, you sound like the tomboy type rather than a girly-girl. They are the best... they can even bait a hook with a live nightcrawler!

I dated a Tomboy once, she was also into gaming and horror movies were her favorite... especially Zombie movies. I wish I could find more tomboys to date.

• Like 2
fitnessfan365

Haha.. Just saw your reply in the other thread. Trusty old WMM. Just please tell me that you don't use the star or pin stripe transitions. :lmao:

I started off on WMM, then used Sony Vegas for a few years, and then I went to a post production school and got trained/certified on Avid and Final Cut Pro. I didn't like editing for work, so that's why I got into personal training to go with my other big passion of fitness. But I still love editing for fun as a hobby. A really popular trailer of mine is when I crossed Smallville and Buffy the Vampire Slayer making Clark and Buffy meet, get together, and fight together. It had close to a million views before my account was shut down.

• Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
You are over thinking it! It does not matter in the great sceme of things.... you are looking for one common intrest... in each other.

That said, you sound like the tomboy type rather than a girly-girl. They are the best... they can even bait a hook with a live nightcrawler!

I dated a Tomboy once, she was also into gaming and horror movies were her favorite... especially Zombie movies. I wish I could find more tomboys to date.

"Tomboy"? Ugh....lol. I haven't heard (or read) that word in a loonnngg time!:rolleyes: But, with the way you described what a "tomboy" is (to YOU), I guess I might fit in that parameter. Just so it's known, I do wear makeup and am a feminine kind of girl, and NOT the kind of "tomboy" who looks like and dresses like a boy! YUK!!! :confused: That being said...zombie horror movies are KING! George A. Romero is "the" GOD of zombie horror films!! I'd donate my left kidney to meet him!:D

Fitnessfan....DON'T laugh!!!:mad::p Excuse me that I can't afford the pricey movie editing software that's available! Like I said, WMM has served me well...and omg NO, no pinstripe or star transitions!!!:sick: That's GROSS lol. The Buffy and Clark trailer you made sounds sick!! Especially that it had close to a m hits!:cool: Um, just curious...why was your YouTube account "closed"?? Or should I even ask :laugh:

Specific guys will have specific opinions as different men like different traits.

But there is no one answer encompassing a consensus on what most or all men think.

Plus being interested in someone is more than a dry match up of their interests but lots of other elements. Someone simply seeing that a woman likes games, hip hop and horror movies doesn't mean much, I like hip hop and horror movies, many others do too, but that isn't really an indicator of your larger personality and all the other little things which go into why someone would want to be with you or not and isn't really how people go about choosing who to date.

• Like 4
fitnessfan365
Fitnessfan....DON'T laugh!!!:mad::p Excuse me that I can't afford the pricey movie editing software that's available! Like I said, WMM has served me well...and omg NO, no pinstripe or star transitions!!!:sick: That's GROSS lol. The Buffy and Clark trailer you made sounds sick!! Especially that it had close to a m hits!:cool: Um, just curious...why was your YouTube account "closed"?? Or should I even ask :laugh:

Haha.. You're adorable. :sick: You should invest some of the money you put into gaming into better editing software. I've had like 10 YouTube accounts closed down on me since 2006. First they were extremely stuck up on video copyright. So if you used well known movies and shows, videos would get taken down and so many strikes would mean deletion. Then they got really hung up on audio/music copyright. So if you used popular songs, videos would get taken down.

But now finally my latest account has been up for almost three years. So it finally seems like they're leaving me alone. But it's a bummer because popular videos of mine that used to have thousands or even over a million views now only have a few hundred to a few thousand.

• Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
Haha.. You're adorable. :sick: You should invest some of the money you put into gaming into better editing software. I've had like 10 YouTube accounts closed down on me since 2006. First they were extremely stuck up on video copyright. So if you used well known movies and shows, videos would get taken down and so many strikes would mean deletion. Then they got really hung up on audio/music copyright. So if you used popular songs, videos would get taken down.

But now finally my latest account has been up for almost three years. So it finally seems like they're leaving me alone. But it's a bummer because popular videos of mine that used to have thousands or even over a million views now only have a few hundred to a few thousand.

Adorable? YUK :laugh: Yeah dude, you have to be crafty and slick to fly under YouTube's Copyright Radar.:cool: It was a bummer at first, but I learned my way around that! You've been up for 3 years? It's all good. Your viewership will increase - with time. Remember, Patience Is A Virtue ~ :p

As far as investing my $ into better editing software than into my gaming - um, what kind of crazy have you been into?!?:eek::laugh: I LIVE for gaming! Call of Duty (Treyarch), WAW (World At War), L4D2 and The Last of Us are AWESOME first person shooter games that I'd rather spend my hard earned $ on than movie editing software.......although...if I won the lottery (lol) or came into some serious cash, THEN I'd get Adobe Premiere*...it's frackin' awesome for primo editing and picture-in-picture Let's Play* vids.

There is nothing wrong with being a tomboy BlackOpsZombieGirl.... as I said, they are the best type of woman for a relationship. The one I had a relationship with only wore makeup a couple days a week, and on date nights... she didn't really need it... she looked like Mary-Louise Parker.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365
Adorable? YUK :laugh: Yeah dude, you have to be crafty and slick to fly under YouTube's Copyright Radar.:cool: It was a bummer at first, but I learned my way around that! You've been up for 3 years? It's all good. Your viewership will increase - with time. Remember, Patience Is A Virtue ~ :p

As far as investing my $ into better editing software than into my gaming - um, what kind of crazy have you been into?!?:eek::laugh: I LIVE for gaming! Call of Duty (Treyarch), WAW (World At War), L4D2 and The Last of Us are AWESOME first person shooter games that I'd rather spend my hard earned $ on than movie editing software.......although...if I won the lottery (lol) or came into some serious cash, THEN I'd get Adobe Premiere*...it's frackin' awesome for primo editing and picture-in-picture Let's Play* vids.

Haha.. Adorable is actually a good thing. For me, that's when a girl can act like a huge dork and be herself. One thing that's cool about you is that you don't put on airs. You are who you are.

My latest YT account has been up for going on three years now. But old accounts were shut down within 6-12 months. I think YT is finally starting to relax a bit when it comes to copyright. Plus, I never understood why movie/TV studios and artists frown so much on fan videos. It's free advertising! People have gotten introduced to songs, movies, and shows because of my stuff over the years. I bet they didn't mind the extra product sales because of it.

I'm definitely not a gamer though. I'll take pinball and arcade style games anyday over XBOX. But I do love me some old school video games like Ms Pacman, Dig Dug, Super Mario Bros, etc..

• Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
There is nothing wrong with being a tomboy BlackOpsZombieGirl.... as I said, they are the best type of woman for a relationship. The one I had a relationship with only wore makeup a couple days a week, and on date nights... she didn't really need it... she looked like Mary-Louise Parker.

Mary Louise Parker.....She's the "Weeds" girl!!! That show was cuh-razy!:eek: Well, I never implied that there's anything "wrong" with being a "tomboy" per se....but um...idk....it just sounds kind of weird... Kind of like a missing link or something, y'know?!:confused:

Someone to play COD with???!...I'd turn over and die...then respawn in a terrible location haha. You sound great to me. I'd have no problem with the interests you described.

• Like 2
chimpanA-2-chimpanZ

Didn't you say you were between 30-45 (apologies if I'm confusing you with another poster)? Let's leave the word "girls" for the younger ones. Also, I don't think most mature, reasonable grown men are too judgmental of people's hobbies. No worthwhile man says "oh, sorry, you seem like a fantastic woman but your hobbies are weird."

Furthermore, hip-hop and gaming are not particularly unusual interests in 2015. There may be not that many women in your social circle who share your interests but they are by no means uncommon and are actually pretty mainstream.

• Like 2

I guess what I'm curious about is, would most guys rather date a girl who was more um "mainstream"? For example, girls who mostly like pop music, girls who wouldn't dare play any military first person shooter games, girls who don't have any piercings, girls who like rom coms instead of scary movies and girls whose makeup is always perfect?:confused: Or are most guys open-minded to dating girls who don't fit into the stereotypical "girly girl" mold?

"Tomboy"? Ugh....lol. I haven't heard (or read) that word in a loonnngg time!:rolleyes: But, with the way you described what a "tomboy" is (to YOU), I guess I might fit in that parameter. Just so it's known, I do wear makeup and am a feminine kind of girl, and NOT the kind of "tomboy" who looks like and dresses like a boy! YUK!!! :confused:

These two paragraphs read one after another kinda made me chuckle. It sounds like you have more opinions on what a woman 'should' be than most people do, despite your claims to buck the trend. I'm not saying this because you wear makeup etc (that's totally fine!), but because of your narrow view of what most other women do/like, as well as your strong negative response towards being called a 'tomboy' (in a complimentary context!). Is it really so YUK to be bare-faced sometimes? :p

Anyway, from one gamer to another - you will be fine, honest. Lots of people game nowadays, and I've almost never heard of a man finding a woman less attractive because she plays games and likes horror movies. With the right man it will be a bonus.

(Also, I don't think I've ever met anyone who 'didn't dare' play a FPS - most people who don't play FPS just don't like them.)

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 4

Gaming is probably a plus for most guys (unless you only have one PC or console in your household, that could start ugly arguments! :laugh:).

As for video editing - get Sony Vegas (NOT older than 9.0 version!) and if you use clips from known or new movies you have to put a hell lot of effects to make it unrecognizable for YouTube. I only got 1 "strike" on my YouTube account but that alone scared the crap out of me; since I do horse videos I always have an audience and a few of those have a lot of clicks and I really, really want to keep my account...! :eek:

• Like 1
ExpatInItaly
These two paragraphs read one after another kinda made me chuckle. It sounds like you have more opinions on what a woman 'should' be than most people do, despite your claims to buck the trend. I'm not saying this because you wear makeup etc (that's totally fine!), but because of your narrow view of what most other women do/like, as well as your strong negative response towards being called a 'tomboy' (in a complimentary context!). Is it really so YUK to be bare-faced sometimes? :p

Anyway, from one gamer to another - you will be fine, honest. Lots of people game nowadays, and I've almost never heard of a man finding a woman less attractive because she plays games and likes horror movies. With the right man it will be a bonus.

(Also, I don't think I've ever met anyone who 'didn't dare' play a FPS - most people who don't play FPS just don't like them.)

This. I'm a woman and I don't play because I'm just not interested. I don't think it's edgy or brave for a girl to play; it just appeals to some people and not others. OP, your choice of wording on the topic is interesting.

I think this is the answer to your question, really. Some guys will share your interests, and others won't. Some men like women who aren't typically "feminine" while others aren't attracted to them. Your interests are not so unusual or unique these days. Just be yourself.

• Like 3
ManyDissapoint
I realize that I'm probably not that unique with regard to the stuff that I'm into. But, I notice that there's not that many girls within my social circle that like the specific things that I do. It seems that the guys that I meet are interested in or at least are inquisitive about the things that I'm into.

Sometimes, I think that I may be a little too "unique" lol. But, I can only be me; and I won't change who I am for anyone.:cool: So...what do the guys on here think about dating a girl who doesn't fit the typical mold of what most girls are? (I welcome opinions from other girls too!)

My ex never wanted to watch horror movies and I thought that was a bit annoying even if it's not my favorite genre. For me, no movies or music is strictly off the table and I suppose I have my own weird tastes there. I like gaming, and so did my ex. A girl who likes gaming is a big plus to me because we could do that together.

I don't have tats or piercing and I never would. Would that a problem for you? The question is if you can find someone tolerant who doesn't get hung up on the fact that their partner is different in small ways.

More important questions might be: Are you emotionally mature and stable? Do you value commitment and communication?

I dunno it sounds like I'd date you.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'd probably wonder why you were single when involved in the biggest sausage fest past time there is. I mean pretty much everytime you log on you've got a new dating pool to pick from.

• Like 1

I don't think this is accurate at all.

Tomboy? A tomboy is a female who puts no effort into her clothing style or appearance beyond jeans, tee shirt, sweats, and a ponytail or other low maintenance cut.

I don't think interests make someone a tomboy.

Horror movies are my #1 genre, I play WWII shooter games and have a large interest in war novels, fighter jets, guns, and have always considered a career as a police officer. My favorite pastime is mud runs, getting dirty, paintball/gun type zombie hunts and generally being active and hands on.

That being said- I'm very feminine. I go on dates and guys literally lose their minds when they start to understand who I am underneath the cute clothes, style, done hair, nails and makeup.

• Like 1

Better to date a gamer than a woman who looks at games as immature male stuff

I wouldn't mind a woman who likes hip hop as long as she likes stuff beyond Kanye West, 50 Cent, Eminem and Drake.

I like horror movies as well and as long as she has a strong stomach I can introduce her to some obscure and truly dark stuff.

Frank2thepoint
Sometimes, I think that I may be a little too "unique" lol.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but enjoying video games (even if it's an FPS), listening to Hip-Hop, and watching horror movies is actually mainstream interests. Plenty of girls play FPSs, love the whole zombie genre, that they play such games, watch movies, and read novels surrounding the genre. Hip-Hop has been part of popular music since the 80s, when it was called "rap music".

As for answering your question, there are a lot of men with varied interests that will align with yours, and a lot that won't. Just stick to your interests, and you'll definitely find someone that will really like you for you.

• Like 4
SawtoothMars

This is kind of interesting. First... guys my age 35... the women in our age bracket HATED gaming. My xWife went nuts when I played. Her little sister... who was 10 at the time used to come over to our house JUST to play Halo 3 with me. So there is a bit of a generation gap among girls on this topic.

I dated "girly girls" most of my life because that was the only thing available. When I was 30 I dated some younger women... 21,22 age... and was mindblown that they liked to play video games with me. I found that very attractive! Unfortunately the age gap also meant a life stage gap which I don't recommend in relationships.

As a side note... I now understand your screenname... BlackOps-Zombie Girl. :D

well if you want the fake answer i'm not gonna give it to you but if you want the honest version, we men are visual creatures, the #1 factor for us is how hot the girl is. now it might be nice to have a gf who is into video games and cool stuff but still if it comes to choosing between a girl who is 5 in beauty and a cool gamer vs. another girl who is a 10 and "mainstream" type...i'm definitely going with the 10

Most guys eventually grow out of this kind of thinking.

• Like 2
  • Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
Sorry to burst your bubble, but enjoying video games (even if it's an FPS), listening to Hip-Hop, and watching horror movies is actually mainstream interests. Plenty of girls play FPSs, love the whole zombie genre, that they play such games, watch movies, and read novels surrounding the genre. Hip-Hop has been part of popular music since the 80s, when it was called "rap music".

As for answering your question, there are a lot of men with varied interests that will align with yours, and a lot that won't. Just stick to your interests, and you'll definitely find someone that will really like you for you.

I was talking about that I sometimes think I'm "unique" in comparison to my social circle of friends and people that I talk to. Of course there are other girls who like gaming, horror movies and hip-hop! But with the people I hang out with including my friends, none of them are gamers and they all think that horror movies are too violent and that hip-hop is "too gangsta". I've even had a few of them tell me that because I'm into gaming, scary movies and rap, that I'll never find a guy who will date me because they say that most guys would rather date a feminine "girly girl" than someone like me. It's part of the reason I made this thread - to read guys' opinions about this.

It's encouraging to see that most of the guys who have posted on here actually would want to date someone like me!

chimpanA-2-chimpanZ
I was talking about that I sometimes think I'm "unique" in comparison to my social circle of friends and people that I talk to. Of course there are other girls who like gaming, horror movies and hip-hop! But with the people I hang out with including my friends, none of them are gamers and they all think that horror movies are too violent and that hip-hop is "too gangsta". I've even had a few of them tell me that because I'm into gaming, scary movies and rap, that I'll never find a guy who will date me because they say that most guys would rather date a feminine "girly girl" than someone like me. It's part of the reason I made this thread - to read guys' opinions about this.

It's encouraging to see that most of the guys who have posted on here actually would want to date someone like me!

I was going to call BS on this because the last time anyone used "gangsta" with any degree of seriousness was 2003, but then I saw that you're in your mid-40s, so that might explain why your friends talk that way. It's true that most middle-aged women (seriously, can we stop saying "girls"? I'm 28 and even I don't like it applied to my age bracket) don't play video games. But most people don't make judgments about their partner's interests unless they're harmful, obsessive or unhealthy.

Speaking of judgment: for a thread that is supposedly about not judging based on personal choices, there's a lot of judging going on about women who don't wear makeup, who have more stereotypically masculine or feminine interests, and who like romantic comedies. I don't think there's a woman alive who "wouldn't dare" play a video game; she just wouldn't want to. You just come off as very haughty and condescending towards women with "mainstream" (who says that? are we in high school?) interests and women who are more masculine than you are. Look, being a lady is hard enough. I know we can't always agree, but can we at least not passive-aggressively tear each other down?

• Like 2
  • Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
This is kind of interesting. First... guys my age 35... the women in our age bracket HATED gaming. My xWife went nuts when I played. Her little sister... who was 10 at the time used to come over to our house JUST to play Halo 3 with me. So there is a bit of a generation gap among girls on this topic.

I dated "girly girls" most of my life because that was the only thing available. When I was 30 I dated some younger women... 21,22 age... and was mindblown that they liked to play video games with me. I found that very attractive! Unfortunately the age gap also meant a life stage gap which I don't recommend in relationships.

As a side note... I now understand your screenname... BlackOps-Zombie Girl. :D

You caught that, eh?:cool: Yeah, I like COD but Black Ops Zombies is sooo much fun to play because it adds an element of creepiness and scariness to it! Having zombies running after you trying to scratch you and bite you is, well, TERRIFYING!!! And the sounds they make are VERY creepy!! I've played multiplayer matches also, but I don't know...having humans running after me trying to shoot me isn't that scary or fun to me. ;)

Thanks for your post, Sawtooth Mars. It gives me hope that I'll meet a guy out there who loves playing on Xbox as much as I do!